TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bent ply

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Bent ply Empty
PostSubject: Bent ply   Bent ply EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 12:31 pm

Any tips for straightening a 120mm x 300mm x 6mm ply board if laid flat at 3/4 length it is 12mm off the bench.
My first thoughts were wet it a put a weight at the bend site.
Any ideas most welcome.
Damien.
Back to top Go down

Bent ply Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent ply   Bent ply EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:41 pm

steam it with a wall paper stripper Damien, and then weight it down with old batteries, bottles of water.anything like that. neil.
Back to top Go down

Bent ply Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent ply   Bent ply EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 am

Which side upper or lower? Neil I have an 8"x 8"x 1" steel block I use to hold stuff down.
Back to top Go down

Bent ply Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent ply   Bent ply EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 pm

As it was going to cost an arm and a leg to hire a steamer so as the the crooner once sang I did it my way next best thing to steam Neil.
Problem solved I washed both sides of the affected section with HOT water placed 3 coffee stirrers end to end and placed the end closest to the bend on them bend up and placed a 5kg block of steel on the raised area 10 hours later all straight.
Back to top Go down

Bent ply Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent ply   Bent ply EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 5:23 pm

thought every man had a wallpaper steamer Damien.......pre requisite of marriage, lol..........

trouble is mine took it with her when she left, lol.

good to see you've solved the problem though.

neil
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Bent ply Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent ply   Bent ply EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 12:29 am

you have to steam a particular side, lay the board on a flat and ensure the bend hollow is to the ground kinda like this ( <--- spun 90 degrees to the right. then steam the top and then put something heavy and flat on it, or brace it down. you will never get rid of the bend fully with ply sadly, but you can straighten it out enough that when cut down into smaller sections they will be flat enough to use effectively.

ply is pretty evil when it comes to bending it usually happends when its got damp or wet and sagged or got to hot and the glue lamination have been heated enough to sofften and then re dried pulling the lamination's back together in an un-uniformed way.

The best method is actually to put it into an oven and heat it up to 50 degrees for about 10 mins and sofften the glue again, put the board flat and brace it to hell as the glue re-dries, 

Both methods are not guaranteed to work with ply, as its a lamination of some substandard materials within the core react differently.

Bent ply Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent ply   Bent ply EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 1:38 am

I'll look at it one day lol temp's of 9c top for the next week the shed can stay locked, after reading a comment on my thread of the Josie being a very tender i'll build with a balsa keel to save a bit more weight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bent ply Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent ply   Bent ply Empty

Back to top Go down

Bent ply
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: General Modelling :: General Modelling Questions-
Jump to: