TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kingswear Castle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 10:22 am

Whilst on holiday in Brixham I couldn't resist a trip on the river, what a lovely vessel she is too Very Happy

Kingswear Castle SAM_2117_zpshr65elhh

Kingswear Castle SAM_2115_zpsx5ezsdhp

Kingswear Castle SAM_2111_zpsdprepynk

Interestingly they use the tide/flow of the river and ropes to turn her around.

Kingswear Castle SAM_2109_zpsxsuxiw0m
Back to top Go down

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 11:32 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 11:34 am

must get down there one day again..........used to have a mate who had a cottage in Tuckenhay  on the River Dart in Devon..........and spent a few good hours in the Maltster's Arms...........a lovely part of the world...................sadly in those days the Kingswear Castle wasn't about............but would love to have a trip on her,.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 3:37 pm

If you do wish to have a trip on the Kingswear Castle and well worth it, check the time table of sailing dates as it appears she only does about 10 trips a year.

Kingswear Castle was built in 1926, the second incarnation, the first being used in the first world war I believe, built on the dart By Philip and son, it had the original steam engine from the first vessel which it still has today.

Philip and sons Ship Builders and Engineers yard, soon to be redeveloped for rich folks boats Rolling Eyes
Kingswear Castle SAM_2158_zpsv9toxf5k

The first Kingswear Castle still on the eastuary.
Kingswear Castle SAM_2124_zpskfqd8fqw
Back to top Go down

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 4:25 pm

cheers paul............once my two kids have started their own way in life within the next 5 years I hope, I am going to go back to my roots......buy a smaller house back in Fleetwood.........what the hell do I need with a four bedroom house on my own, lol.......buy a camper and buy a beamer( motorcycle that is.....not a car, yuck) and go travelling and visit all the places I wanted too and those I'd like to revisit.............might even grow a beard like mick french while I do so, lol
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Sounds like a plan, go for it, a friend of mine says
Quote :
it's not a rehearsal it's the real thing and you only get one chance at it
I'm thinking of cashing in and moving to wales but I don't need to grow the beard as I've had one forever Laughing
Back to top Go down

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 10:17 pm

I've tried a few times but after a couple of weeks they get too itchy and off they come, lol............suppose they would under a full face lid too..............don't know how Bruce Anstey races with one, lol
Back to top Go down

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 10:19 pm

that is a really sad site, might I add, of the old Kingswear Castle lying where it came to rest............always feel a lump in my throat when I see something like that.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Ay least the steam engine found a new home and if I remember some other stuff was saved.

A few shots below deck, by the look of the WC it is original, the bar probably is too, but not the fittings.

Kingswear Castle SAM_2104_zpsr0t8ig6c

Kingswear Castle SAM_2102_zpsksbic0wr

Kingswear Castle SAM_2105_zpszmcdcw3r

Kingswear Castle SAM_2107_zps36sxgeu2

Kingswear Castle SAM_2106_zpsh3bm5y0j
Back to top Go down

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 10:58 pm

superb restoration.................and yet there are people who complain about such expense on old ships...............sad people indeed, especially when you see what pleasure they bring.
Back to top Go down

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:56 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 7:20 am

Here are a couple of links for those who are interested 2thumbsup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_Kingswear_Castle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddle_Steamer_Preservation_Society

Enjoy Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kingswear Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingswear Castle   Kingswear Castle Empty

Back to top Go down

Kingswear Castle
Page 1 of 1