TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug Empty
PostSubject: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Here are the contents of the box - all shiny white plastic Laughing  One or two pieces seem to have suffered a little warping with storage, but nothing too serious I hope.

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0710

I have encountered my first challenge with this build. The deck has to be fitted BEFORE the hull is stuck together Crying or Very sad  This is going to make it quite difficult to fit the motor etc. Because of this, no progress today. I am now waiting for my prop shaft etc to arrive. I plan to use a motor from a servo and an Action Pico ESC.

There is a reasonable access hole under the superstructure, so if I can fit the prop shaft and rudder tube to one half of the hull, and work out a mounting for the motor, it may still be possible. If not, I'll have a nice static model. lol! lol! I believe that at one time Lindberg did market some of these kits with motors, so I am hoping its still possible.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 3:17 pm

The prop shaft arrived yesterday so today I had a go. After opening up the hole meant for the supplied rod, it fits nicely. There was what looks like a support for the shaft included, so I have fixed that to one half of the hull and enlarged the hole at the top to take my shaft. I have also glued to one side a shelf placed to take the motor, which will be fixed with silicone.
I will be using the supplied prop, as I don't have anything small enough. Its a good shape, and I was able to open out the hole to take the M2 thread.
I have also drilled out the hole for the rudder. I am making a new rudder as I couldn't see how to fit a proper shaft to the one supplied.
I think I am now in a position to stick the hull together. There should be enough access to fix the remaining items.

Barrie

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0711 Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0712
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 2:47 pm

The new rudder is made - its a very similar shape & size the kit one.
Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0713
I have spent quite a bit of time today working out where the servo and ESC will go. I have decided I need to buy a servo like that supplied for the Hunstman
Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0715
This will have to wait until after my holiday which starts next week Cool Laughing Laughing
I have started making up some of the other structures, and can paint some of these whilst waiting for the servo.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 2:48 pm

More building and painting today. As I need the superstructure to be removable, I have added a coaming to the the location tabs in the kit. I think this will be enough to hold it in place, if not I will add some magnets Wink

Will keep on with the fiddly bits until I go on holiday. If I can get a good internet connection on the cruise I will order the servo to arrive when I get back. I have just found out that I am to have my second knee op on April 16th - just 12 months after it was supposed to happen - so that will take me out of action for a week or two Sad

Barrie

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0717
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 5:18 pm

this is really very interesting barrie.......as I am going down the road of eventually motorising the two little motor lifeboats available as plastic kits.......but space is even tighter.........can you please give details of where you obtain the micro electronics.

also why did you choose separate speed controller instead of utilising the board affixed to the servo motor........just interested

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Neil,

The motor as you guessed is from a servo. The speed control is an Action Pico ESC - which I already had. The servo will come from Hobbyking and be the same as the one supplied by Speedline Models for the 1:48th Huntsman. If you want a link let me know.

When I built my first micro model I started out using the servo electronics, but found it very difficult to set the 'dead band', so bought the Action ESC. I have removed the case for use in the Tug, and will probably wrap it in insulating tape.

The battery, esc, receiver and a switch are designed to move between the two boats.

If you want to go really small, then brushless motors and escs, as used in the Huntsman, are even smaller, but no reverse Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 5:51 pm

cheers mate.......just as a matter of interest what's the physical size of the esc from action.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I'll check tomorrow

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Neil

The photo shows from the top, the Action Pico ESC, the brushless ESC from the 1:48 Huntsman and the receiver I will be using in both models - its Spektrum compatible.
I believe you can get brushed ESCs of similar size to the brushless if you search electric flight.
The Action measures 35 x 23mm and is approx 12mm high.

Hope this helps,

Barrie

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0718
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 2:57 pm

More painting today and a little bit of construction Wink
Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0719
The porthole surrounds are supposed to be painted brass, but there is no way I can achieve a respectable finish on something that size and shape so they will stay white Shocked  Tomorrow I think I can make good progress putting it together, many bits are just waiting for the paint to harden.
That will leave the hull for which I need to get some paint, and of course the servo so I can make it work Cool

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 4:21 pm

yes, thnks barrie........it confirms that I am going to have to use the 2"controller of a servo and find that dreaded centre as there is no way any of those will fit under the deck of the little lifeboats.....they are only about 8 - 9 inches long. but cheers, neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0720 Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0722

The superstructure and deck are now almost complete - just a couple of items to add. If I make another of these type of models, I will discard the railings etc and replace with proper brass rod. These look very poor, but the objective is to see how ell it works as a R/C model.

This is how it will now stay for at least 2 weeks until I return from holiday. Then I need to source some paint, Decal Fix and a servo to be able to finish it Smile .

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 1:15 pm

I had a bit of lick at the lake this morning - one of our members who is emigrating to the Philpines was giving away some servos. I got a full size one, and also a micro one. Not quite as small as the one for the Huntsman, but smaller than my miniature ones and entirely suitable for the Tug.
This means that I will be able to get on and complete the works as soon as I return from holiday and not wait for the post from the Netherlands Thumbup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 5:10 pm

enjoy your holls matey..hope the sun doesn't warm your beer before you have chance to drink it, lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 9:07 pm

nhp651 wrote:
yes, thnks barrie........it confirms that I am going to have to use the 2"controller of a servo and find that dreaded centre as there is no way any of those will fit under the deck of the little lifeboats.....they are only about 8 - 9 inches long. but cheers, neil.

Neil,

Final thought before I go. This is the internals of my smallest boat yet - only 7.5 inches long. That's a 40Mhz 4 channel receiver, the Action ESC in its case and the battery holders are both 2 x AA.
So its surprising what you can get into a small space Thumbup

Barrie

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug Imgp1310
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 9:56 pm

ahhh, that just looks like the internals of my usual builds, lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 3:53 am

And mine  lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 3:50 pm

Well, back from hols and before I go into hospital, I am trying to finish the tug. I fitted the servo and made a linkage for it which was the only thing stopping me putting the hull together. As I expected this was a bit tricky keeping the two halves and the deck in the correct place. I ended up sticking it in stages as it was impossible to clamp it all.

I still have problems with the stern which I think is down to a warped moulding. I am hoping the tape will hold it together until it sets, if not then I will fill it. Rolling Eyes

If the paint comes tomorrow then I can get some colour on the hull - it looks a little strange in white Very Happy

I also need to see if its watertight - I hope so as there isn't much room to get inside to seal it.

Barrie

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0723 Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0724

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 7:52 am

The tape did its job Laughing  and the hull has now been painted. Just a few small items to add, then a few decals. Before that I plan to see if its watertight Rolling Eyes I also fixed the supplied stand to a board as it wasn't very strong.

Barrie

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0725 Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0726 Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0727
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
emrys
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 1:24 pm

Looking good barriew.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks. Today I put it into water Shocked A little got in, I think it was around the prop tube, but with restricted access and visibility, I am not certain. In any case I pushed as much silicone sealant in there as I could, and will hope for the best. It wasn't a massive amount anyway.
I have now added the remaining fittings, and also ballasted it. Tomorrow I will hopefully give it a coat of satin varnish so that I can apply the decals before I go into hospital on Thursday.
I have been considering the power source. I was going to use 4 x AAA batteries in a holder, but its difficult to hold it firmly in place and still be able to remove it to change the batteries, so I think I will buy a 4 x 2/3rd AAA pack instead. I've also put in a bid for a very cheap very small chinese ESC.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 9:23 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks Damien - I put the final touches on today. A coat of Satin Cote, then applied the decals and another coat over them. I think I have solved the fixing of the rope deck at the stern. I have tacked it in place with Copydex, so I should be able to remove it if I need access to the tiller. Laughing
I have also had another idea for battery and ESC. Shocked I have a couple of very small 2S LiPos, and have just bought a Chinese forward and reverse ESC rated at 10A (Chinese ones obviously) with a BEC, which is only about 25 mm square. It only cost me £4, so its worth a try.This will be first option when the ESC arrives, hopefully when I am mobile again after the knee op.

Barrie

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0728 Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0729 Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0730
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 1:06 pm

I had a very pleasant surprise this morning when the postman delivered my ESC - only 7 days after I ordered it from China 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Its is little bigger than one of the UK Large Letter postage stamps, so was easy to fit into the tug. Tested and it works well. The only downside (which I knew about) is that it has a brake function. This means that you have to hit reverse twice. I also think that reverse is less than 100% of forward max speed - again I knew about this and in this model its not an issue.
Here is the unit
Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0734
...and installed in the tug. Can't wait until Sunday to try it out. bounce bounce
Barrie
Lindberg US Coastguard Tug 100_0735

Neil,

I reckon you must be able to fit one of these in your little lifeboats.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 12:42 pm

The maiden voyage went reasonably well, although one member thought it was air powered there were so many bubbles coming off the prop Rolling Eyes  More weight required in the stern. Thumbup Also 7.4 volts is a bit too much, so I have to remember to go easy on the throttle.

I've adjusted the ballasting and will try again next week. I will also try to get some photos and video on the water if my daughter and grandson come with me.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 12:47 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lindberg US Coastguard Tug   Lindberg US Coastguard Tug Empty

Back to top Go down

Lindberg US Coastguard Tug
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Tug Boats-
Jump to: