TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Great Lakes Ship / Freighter

Go down 
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Great Lakes Ship / Freighter Empty
PostSubject: Great Lakes Ship / Freighter   Great Lakes Ship / Freighter EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Has any one built one of these, I have a plan to build one of wooden construction.

Have this plan.
Great Lakes Ship / Freighter GreatLakesFreightermodelplans_zps7e4f7b5c

And a post card.
Great Lakes Ship / Freighter JMORGANDryDockToledo-pcl31_zps25623785

And model by someone else Thumbup
Great Lakes Ship / Freighter 4225397_f5201_zpsd471a07b

Any thoughts or ideas please 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Ship / Freighter   Great Lakes Ship / Freighter EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 2:38 pm

I have heard of very few people in the UK building one of these paul, as the length to beam ratio is very great, and to build in any detail your model becomes very long to transport.........

However, if you visit the site link here and put in a request, I have seen a number of guys on the other side of the pond building them......some build in small scale, others build larger but split the hulls  for transport.

I wish you good luck and would like to encourage you in your build, as I think they are great looking ships, especially the older lakers. and if you do start a build then help on what ever you require is always just a post away. neil.

http://www.rcgroups.com/scale-boats-55/
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Ship / Freighter   Great Lakes Ship / Freighter EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks Neil, the sized up plan I have makes it 44inches long with a 5inch beam, it's flat bottom as are our Narrow Boats, needless to say I have the plan on the table and I am marking out the base board ( 5eights by 5inch by 42inches) made from a pine shelf. just to say I have a van so size no problem. 2thumbsup

As soon as I have more I will start a thread in the Slipway Build Bloggs.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Ship / Freighter   Great Lakes Ship / Freighter EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 11:48 am

good stuff Paul............I have always likes these ships, ever since getting my first copy of Observers book of Ships given me by my granddad in 1959........

cheers, neil.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Ship / Freighter   Great Lakes Ship / Freighter EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Once I have done a little more I will start a build blogg   2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Ship / Freighter   Great Lakes Ship / Freighter Empty

Back to top Go down

Great Lakes Ship / Freighter
Page 1 of 1