TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work Empty
PostSubject: Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work   Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:19 am

Well as most know i just moved House so while the net was down and the boats packed away i had little to do in the evenings apart from listen to the mrs talk about what type of curtains would go best in the bedrooms.. i decided to do some rope work, something i haven't done in a while. so i was a little rusty but over the past few weeks totalying about 35 hours of work i put together a bell rope

overal length 22" main body is grafted together ( anyone who knows about grafting knows its a really long slog to get it right and real easy to piss up!) then finished off with a few turks heads and a turned brass cap in the base. the whole thing is made from cotton twine and varnished to protect the work. its not perfect as i said its been many years since i did anything of this scale 2nd attempt will be better Shocked What a Face

enjoy

RR

Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work Dscf0710

Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work Dscf0711

PostSubject: Re: Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work   Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:35 am

And a bloody fine piece of rope work it is mate.
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work   Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 am

Very nice, but it is too big for my boat! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
TonyW
Gunner
Gunner
TonyW

PostSubject: Re: Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work   Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Very nice work RR, very nice indeed. When i used to work in the Coal mines, it was part of my apprenticeship to work for a while on the (Rope staff). They were a group of men that used to go down the mines repairing ropes on the "Endless Haulages". This was fascinating work, and i soon learned to splice a rope. Now these ropes were Steel, but the same can applied to soft ropes, and i have successfully spliced ropes since i retired from the mines. Once learned never forgotten. study
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work   Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 2:08 am

thanks guys, i'll see if i can do a ''how too'' on some basic rope work might be an interesting tutorial, as much of the full size rope work can be scaled down and with a little practice can give an excellent finishing detail to many models, not only that it can be cheaper then buying pre-made things off the shelf, fenders and other small items can be made very easily with a bit of practice i'll see what i can do over the next few days.

RR

Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work   Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 7:46 am

I look forward to this.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work   Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 12:56 am

So do I.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work   Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving House Sucks... So lets try some Rope Work
Page 1 of 1