TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lobster Boat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Lobster Boat Empty
PostSubject: Lobster Boat   Lobster Boat EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 4:20 pm

Lobster Boat Img_2183

This may become my next project. These are the plans for a Boothbay Lobster Boat from a well known, but discontinued kit. Unusually for a plan from a kit, they include details of the bulkheads and other parts. The original was 30 inches long - I want to build at 18 inches approx.  
Peter (redpmg) sent me a PDF of the plans which I have had reduced (after a few tries) to give me the size I want.
I say it may become my project, because I still need to be sure that I can extract the bulkhead and keel details, and any other key components from the plans. The original was largely constructed from Balsa I think, so I also need to consider the appropriate Liteply etc thicknesses to use.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Lobster Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lobster Boat   Lobster Boat EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 8:48 pm

Same basic hull design as my shark boat which is based on a lobster boat hull enjoy it Barrie with hindsight I'd use more lite ply than balsa.
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Lobster Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lobster Boat   Lobster Boat EmptyFri Oct 01, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi Barrie - when redrawing the Tour Master built the same way (same designer - Ted Stinson) used a deeper keel and Les Rowells idea of doublers between each former - that build worked far better for me. There is also a build blog on Mayhem - plus a refurbishment of a really well built version - some great pictures on there .

Between the instructions & plan there should be more than enough detail of all components with the exception of the planking which should be easy enough to create using old cereal boxes,  - the lobster traps are not shown on the plan itself but are easily made. The smaller version sent uses a different type - details are all included somewhere in the plan or instructions

I would agree with using liteply frames & keel - but balsa planking with a coat of either type of resin even without GF is fairly tough . There are many other other alternatives available there in the UK - roofing membrane , nappy liners, the material used to strengthen dresses, tissue & dope etc etc - plus you can obtain the water based epoxy resin (which is no longer available here Crying or Very sad !)

Apologies if Im teaching grandmother.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Lobster Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lobster Boat   Lobster Boat EmptyFri Oct 01, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi Peter - I HATE balsa so will only be using where I can't avoid it lol! I'm thinking of 0.4 mm ply for the skins. Its expensive, but will probably mean I don't need the balsa blocks at the bow. Still trying to work out what I've got and what I need to buy. I sold 3 boats recently so do have some funds available 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup lol!

One of those sold was a Tour Master.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Lobster Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lobster Boat   Lobster Boat EmptyFri Oct 01, 2021 1:18 pm

Funnily enough Barrie - I have just sold my Tour Master kit - made another from 3mm ply (only WBP) - sold that on a few years ago .

I quite like balsa - also use liteply and very occasionally some old aircraft type in various thicknesses - but have an advantage as mostly cut on the laser we have for commercial purposes - also tend to build small boats - finishing 7", 10", & 14" versions of a Cabin Cruiser with outboard - smaller ones being driven via inboard with dummy outboard for rudder and the larger one by a old Japanese made plastic outboard updated with slotcar gears & new 300 motor. For an article/plan to be submitted to MB magazine (only the larger version) - hope that will help with a chronic shortage of modelling funds...........

Looking forward to your build
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Lobster Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lobster Boat   Lobster Boat EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 6:19 pm

After a lot of thought I have decided to postpone this build. I am not sure I am quite up to a scratch build of this type. The hull is not built in a traditional manner. Instead I have bought another Billings kit - see my new post.
I do hope to return to this if I get back some confidence.
If anyone would like the plans - either original size, or my reduced size, please contact me via PM.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Lobster Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lobster Boat   Lobster Boat EmptyThu Jan 13, 2022 6:24 pm

As you will see, I have bought a kit of a French Trawler/Lobster boat as my next project.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lobster Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lobster Boat   Lobster Boat Empty

Back to top Go down

Lobster Boat
Page 1 of 1