TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Power Line switch

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MrChel
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Power Line switch Empty
PostSubject: Power Line switch   Power Line switch EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 2:25 pm

I am new to the hobby and in the process of building a Sea Urchin.
I have been researching the electrical set up and note that I require a fuse and a switch in the power line between the battery and the ESC. The ESC has a BEC so no need for a further switch between it and the receiver. I have established that the power switch should have the current carrying capacity for the maximum amp draw of the motor. Although I don’t expect to use the switch at a time when there is any significant current flow, it’s the current carrying capacity of the switch that concerns me. A toggle switch rated for DC with a current carrying capacity of in excess of 11 amps (as is the case for me) will be physically too big to incorporate into the model. So I have considered some options:

·         Use the in line blade fuse instead of a switch
·         Use a toggle switch not rated for the max current draw of the motor
·         Use something called a ‘P106 in line power switch’ available from the Component-Shop – an electronic switch rather than a mechanical one

I have trawled through the forum to see if this has been a question that has arisen before. All I can see is that there is a general acceptance that a power line switch is necessary but no query similar to mine. I suspect experienced members don’t need to ask! Smile
Any views, advice, guidance would be most welcome.
Thanks, John
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Power Line switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Line switch   Power Line switch EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 5:29 pm

John

You are correct that suitable switches are rather large! However you are also correct that you will probably not be switching the maximum current. I now rarely build models with more than 5 amp max current, but have in the past used switches rated below the max load. One trick is to use a double pole switch and link both poles together. It is also quite possible to use a blade fuse as switch. I've also been known to omit the switch altogether and just unplug the battery  lol! lol!

A current draw of 11 amps seems a little excessive for a Sea Urchin - what motor are you using?

Barrie
Back to top Go down
MrChel
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Power Line switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Line switch   Power Line switch EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi Barrie,

The motor I propose is an Overlander 2822/27 – 1200 KV 85 W 0.5 idle current and 11 max amp draw.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Power Line switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Line switch   Power Line switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Line switch
Page 1 of 1