TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
zebramz
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater  Empty
PostSubject: Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater    Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater  EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi All.
I acquired a 2nd hand model RC sailboat. Also, I'm new to RC modeling and have no experience with the Tx/Rx systems. The boat did not come with a functioning transmitter. It was set up with a Futaba T2ER Attack transmitter. The boat has two servos: Futaba S3003 for rudder control and a GWS S125 1T/2BB with a drum winch for sail control. I need advice on which Transmitter/receiver to buy for my use. I was considering the Futaba 6L Sport (6 Channel). I know that I really only need two channels but the price is right. However, it is listed as a aircraft controller. I want a 2-stick style controller. Will this work or can someone suggest another brand/model that is best.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater    Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater  EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 6:15 am

Welcome to the forum!
Practically all Model radio Control transmitters are geared to aircraft use - its a much bigger market than boats, however they work OK with boats. Also almost all modern sets will come with more than 2 channels. Assuming you are in the UK, then 2.4Ghz sets are now pretty universal, so you will need to replace your receiver also. Your servos will work with a new set.
As to make, we all have our preferences. I use a Flysky/Turnigy set. I can't comment on the Futaba set - I haven't used Futaba since I had a 2ER many years ago.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater    Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater  EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Any decent tx/rx system will work for your needs, i would suggest keeping in the 2.4ghz brand ranges just for having zero issues with signal problems and people hickjacking your frequency.

With Drum witches you need to ensure your system can power the drum winch effectivly, 2.4 systems require a constant 6V any drop in power will lead to issues with range and control/ loss of signal, usualy this isnt an issue with standard servos for a couple of hours use, but many drum winches are power hungry monsters when under load and can drain batterys significanly or even under power the RX in the boat....

many drum winch sailors actully power the winch seperatly with a connecting lead only for signal to the servo... this is something you should concider if you want run times longer than an 30mins to an hour on 4/5 AA batterys.

just google about for servo winch power leads, or you can knock up a positive and negative adaper for the drum its not a complicated thing to make, its probbably worth testing how u get on first before looking at that, just thought i would point it out, many newbies dont always understand the draws from winches have adverse effects with 2.4 in running times.

you can check out howels models, Cornwall models boats, Hobby king UK, to list a few recomended suppliers. 

Hobby king will server as the cheapest options but any issues their CS is shocking..... so be warned!

good luck let us know how you get on.

zebramz
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater    Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater  EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I’m actually located in the USA- Cedarburg Wisconsin which is about 130 miles north of Chicago. I appreciate the advice. I am waiting for some warmer temps here. Winter just won’t go away. I will look into and monitor the power consumption on the drum winch. Had no idea and could have left my boat stranded. I will update when I hit the water. Thanks again. Mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater    Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tx/RX Replacement Advice for New RC Sailboater
Page 1 of 1