TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

advice required

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
scalloway41
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
scalloway41

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: advice required    advice required  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 pm

hi. looking for some advice.
have a ic engined speed boat approx 1m long and was thinking to remove the engine and fit a high speed brushless motor instead as i dont like the engine.
so, looking for recommendations for a motor, speed controller and battery that will give a decent run time....... Very Happy
thanks in advance......

(yep, I do prefer wind power but trying to get the lad interested and slow wind powered boats hold his attention for approx 5 mins if that)
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 pm

lmfao 10 edits later...

Ok one I was pointed to a while back was this one (turned out a waste of time for my use) but for you it may be just the job..

Its a 540 sized motor (case size) 3600rpm needs a 40amp esc motor

The esc to match it you can find as Astec he does a 50amp forward only and a forward and reverse for an extra £2 (bascially £30 an esc with p&p)

forward only

forward & reverse

You can run the BL motor off a NHMI pack with a decent prop size up to 40-42mm with no issues i expect. ''The component Shop'' for NHMI batterys unless you want to get into lipos?

I would go with some 4600mha or the 5000 mha (£50 a battery though, so might be worth looking at lipos, as i can get two 2s for £38 and a further £40 for the charger) nhmi get you a good 10 mins of run time per battery, i would avoid ebay Chinese cheepies that are claiming the 6800mha capacity, lipos will still only give you the same run time so it comes down to your budget.

You can't go wrong for £50 right? (excluding battery)

RR

I must point out though .. if you want to go even faster the cost goes up as the more powerful bl motors are more expensive (£50 -150) and then the esc's need to get bigger too.. (£50-£300!)

So have recommended a cheap set to work from.

mattycoops43
Midshipman
Midshipman

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:52 pm

My LHS has 5300 good quality nihms for £30 (overlander etc)

Nihm may struggle to give you the current you need for Brushless, that's the main reason we all tend to go Lipo on them.
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:52 pm

You can get 4600 Nimh batteries for about £20 each from the component shop.I have three of these and can say first hand they are fantastic,I have never had a problem with them and they are now about three years old! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:06 pm

I did think that, but given that the esc and motor i recommended, i knew that the 4300-5000mha nhmi battery packs will do the job with no issues as they have a 50Amp discharge rate.

Obviously he can up the voltage rather then sticking with 7.2v -8.4 packs are there too if he wants that extra kick.

Such as these @ £24 a pack
http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/body_large_packs.html

8.4V 4300mAh SC NiMH Battery Pack.

High capacity, fitted with standard “Tamiya” style connector on
very flexible, high current leads - 50A discharge capacity!

£24.00 each.
£22.20 discounted price for 3+ packs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.4V 4600mAh SC NiMH Battery Pack.

Highest capacity, fitted with standard “Tamiya” style connector on
very flexible, high current leads - 50A discharge capacity!

£26.60 each.
£25.00 discounted price for 3+ packs.

RR

cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm

I have a Blackjack 26 bl made by proboat that uses two of the batteries,so it runs on 14.4 volts.
Back to top Go down
scalloway41
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
scalloway41

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:13 pm

cheers guys......
plenty to think about there.....

going up to caravan for the weekend to sail the violet jessop on the river so will have plenty thinking time Very Happy

again, thanks for all the advice.
Back to top Go down
mattycoops43
Midshipman
Midshipman

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Something to add, you'll never get 50A through a Tamiya connector, those things are rubbish! Change to deans, they are good for 60A minimum.

I changed the tamiya connectors on a buggy once to deans and reckon I got a 20% speed increase as they were allowing more current to flow.
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Good thinking Matty,good job someones with it! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

advice required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: advice required    advice required  Empty

Back to top Go down

advice required
Page 1 of 1