TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

White Star

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

White Star - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 11:36 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 pm

White Star - Page 2 Dscn1069

I decided not to wait for the glue and screwed the ESC and battery box down. I then tidied up the wires - this is neat and tidy by my usual standards Shocked Shocked.
Next the railings. There are three sets. Towards the stern, on the steering deck and round the bows. I did the stern first, then the ones on the upper deck. Got them all finished and looked at the plan to sort out the bow and OH DEAR Embarassed Embarassed I used the wrong stanchions for the upper deck Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed bounce bounce bounce bounce
I was able to remove them thanks to some 'unstick' liquid, and remade them using the correct ones. These are now ready for painting - when I've installed the bow ones and bought some more paint Rolling Eyes

Barrie 

White Star - Page 2 Dscn1068
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 12:55 pm

I finished off the railings this morning - after finding Billing's trap in this kit. The lengths of brass wire in the kit are only 25 cm long - not long enough to make even one side of the top rail at the bows bounce bounce bounce Shocked. Luckily I had some very thin ali tube which I was able to use as a joint. Railings given one coat of paint - will probably need another.

Just a few fittings to go now. Looking at the mast it appears it is just intended to be glued to the deck, but I think I will add some brass wire and drill the deck then bend over the wire on the underside. There are two aerials and some fixed rods to make. These are intended to be made from brass wire which I think is rather a health hazard, so I am going to try using some plastic micro rod I have. I'm not sure this will work for the rods, but will be OK for the aerials.

Barrie

White Star - Page 2 Dscn1070 White Star - Page 2 Dscn1071
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 1:09 pm

Looking very Nice there young Sir 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm

gorgeous, barrie.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 pm

I have been working on the fittings - especially the aerials and fixed rods. Very fiddly Shocked I made the aerials from micro plastic rod, but had to use brass for the rods. These have small eye bolts fixed to them to guide the lines. The rods are ready for painting. I still have the other rod for the stern to tackle. The nav. lights are ready to fix - just waiting for paint to dry. I keep thinking another day will see it finished lol!
I really would like a couple of figures, but am not sure of the scale. One Billings web site says 1/17, but that makes a figure between 10 and 11 cm tall, which I think may be too big. I'm hoping my Grandson has a selection of figures so I can see what looks OK - not that I want Superman or Captain Scarlet on board lol! lol! lol!

Barrie

White Star - Page 2 Dscn1072
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 1:22 pm

very very nice indeed.

for your next model, have you thought of the small 1;20 scale billing [or other] Waveney class lifeboat, or are lifeboats not your thing barrie.i know that they are not everyones cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Nothing against lifeboats Neil - I have built and sold one. I am trying to avoid Billings if at all possible, however there aren't many other options. For Christmas my daughters bought me this, at my suggestion. 

White Star - Page 2 Img_2014

There is quite a series of them and I think I may tackle another.

After that there are a couple of Chinese items I am thinking of ordering - watch this space Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Now, how do you like these two as passengers on White Star???????

White Star - Page 2 Img_2015 White Star - Page 2 Img_2017 
White Star - Page 2 Img_2016

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm

I think I have finished all the painting now Thumbup. When its dry then then the three rods need 'stringing'. There are nav lights and life rings to mount and that's it - except that I found some figures and by doing some plastic surgery and body parts donation, I think this fellow will make the angler.

White Star - Page 2 Dscn1073

He still needs a little work before painting. I don't have enough suitable arms to make another for the steering position so we will assume he's alone. I wanted to give him a can of Bud, but I don't think I can get the hand in a position to hold it Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 12, 2019 11:43 pm

he looks good matey.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 13, 2019 1:02 pm

After his surgery he needed new clothes, so here they are. May need some adjustments later lol! lol!

The model is complete - just waiting for the angler.

Barrie

White Star - Page 2 Dscn1074
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 13, 2019 1:23 pm

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 1:22 pm

I think this must be a record - only about 7 weeks from start to finish - and that included Christmas. Not really something I want to repeat. Building Model Boats is supposed to keep me occupied and I don't have room for many more lol! lol! lol!
Here it is.
 White Star - Page 2 Dscn1076 White Star - Page 2 Dscn1078 White Star - Page 2 Dscn1079

If I can find a suitable figure for the steering position then I will add it. Otherwise all that needs doing is to add some ballast. The weather doesn't encouage me to set up the outdoors test tank, so it may have to be the bath Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 am

seven weeks of joy and wonderment for us onlookers, barrie……..

I really am envious of this little beauty, as it is both beautifully built, and also a very pretty boat.

if I see an unmade kit out there I am going to have a good bid at one, as I like it very much...…..

look forward to your next build matey.

happy sailing.

neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 6:08 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm

another nice boat barrie, very well built 2thumbsup . it sounds like you need to sell some like me scratch , I need to but cant bring my self to do it, I enjoy all the ones I have built so much Laughing .I hope to put a new build on soon that I have been given a real  scratch  puzzler as half of it is missing so will see how it works out.

david.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 pm

look forward to that one david.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2019 12:39 pm

At long last White Star got its maiden sail - but only just Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I took my grandson to the lake this morning - first time I've been there for 6 months. Unfortunately things didn't go well Shocked The first boat he launched stopped about 3 yards out. In the rush trying to arrange a rescue. I dropped White Star Shocked Shocked Shocked bounce bounce bounce. Not sure if its done any serious damage - a few bent aerials and railings, but haven't had time to check further.  It did sail reasonably well. a little lopsided - maybe the fall shifted some ballast, but its too fast Shocked Needs a slower motor, or some electronic means of reducing speed. It tuns very well.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 2:05 pm

Much better this morning. It now has a 360 motor and the speed is just right - for me! Just need to re-align the rudder and fasten down the last bits of ballast. Forgot to take a photo though Embarassed

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 2:12 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 9:21 am

I took White Star to our other lake on Thursday. Its more exposed and there was quite a strong breeze blowing across the lake giving waves about 2 or 3 inches. White Star handled it very well and gave me a pleasant half hour sail.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Another top job there bud, well done 👍🏻

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White Star   White Star - Page 2 Empty