TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Will Everard

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Will Everard - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Not really Damien - this is better, but still not very good.

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1023

using the pre-made rigging was obviously a compromise as the angles are not correct. I have been painting the sails as these are traditionally red in colour and the ones supplied are off white. I have used Humbrol Red/Brown which looks quite good. I gave them a coat a few days ago, but only coated one side which this left them patchy when viewed against the light so today I coated the other side.

I am getting quite bored with this model as you can probably tell by the long gaps between posts lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2018 1:41 pm

hi barrie,
the things you do for love  Laughing . I think your wife will be very happy when you have completed it, as it looks very nice to me. is it going to be her  santa Christmas present from you. keep up the good work barrie .

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi David - Christmas 2019 maybe lol! lol! lol!.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2018 11:38 am

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1024

A bit more rigging - some of the stays for the bowsprit. I suppose I should paint the brass chain. I have finished painting the sails and my wife has sewn the mast rings to one of the sails. I can now try to install that which will allow me to look at the rigging on the rear (mizzen?) mast. It couldn't be done before or the rings wouldn't have gone on Shocked Shocked Shocked
Talking about painting - I have bought two pots of Humbrol Enamel recently. One had a thick crust on it, the other is the texture of putty. I think I will have to switch to acrylic paints. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2018 11:40 am

I completed the bowsprit stays today, and added some support for the mast. Tried the mizzen sail, and after adjusting the yokes of the booms, it looks not too bad. I also fitted the ropes for raising and lowering the paddles.

Barrie

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1026 Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1027
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2018 12:48 pm

After two sessions the mizzen mast is complete! Not accurate or particularly neat, but complete Embarassed

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1010

and the main sail has also been fitted. Again my rigging plan and as few blocks as I could get away with. There are still four more sails to fit and I still have to work out how I am going to fix them.

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1012
I now have an incentive to complete this as I have purchased another kit - Billings again Shocked Shocked - but no rigging in sight 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 am

Looking real good Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1013

Got the third sail on this morning. It looks OK, although it doesn't hang as well as I had hoped. Again the rigging is simplified, but looks OK. Just three more which are going to be the most diificult I think.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1014

Two more sails - only one to go 2thumbsup. Then I think I just have the dinghy to finish and install 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

I may get the last sail on this afternoon, but first I am required to make a ramp for my Grandson's finger skateboard Shocked Shocked Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Ramp made 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Last sail fitted ..... and then disaster Embarassed I was trimming some ends of thread and managed to sever the supporting rope of the last sail I had fitted Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce Its only held by the rope that lowers it.
I will have to re-do this tomorrow.

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1015

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Will Everard - Page 2 Dscn1016

Repair made and dinghy fitted. I thought I had finished, then found the life rings  Rolling Eyes. I have painted these and they will be fitted later. 
As a display model it looks quite good viewed from a distance, but does not repay close scrutiny lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 pm

looks good barrie…...have always had a liking for the old Thames barges...…..after seeing one regularly sail from Glasson Dock across Morecambe bay under full sail....was a glorious site.

then one day when I was depositing a model for auction at Christies in London at their warehouse, I noticed a thames barge on the floor....had a look at it.…….fully rigged but all laid on the deck...….it was  88inches long, without bowsprit rolled out ...........and what a beauty it was...........I forgot to bid on it and it never sold......200 quid reserve.

I rang Charles miller who was at that time in charge of the nautical sales at christies to ask if they would take an offer but he told me that they now had no record of the seller...........

but god knows what I would have done with an 88inch barge..........but my god she'd have looked a goodly site on the watter, lol. 

wonder if its still around somewhere.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2018 5:41 pm

nhp651 wrote:
looks good barrie…...have always had a liking for the old Thames barges...…..after seeing one regularly sail from Glasson Dock across Morecambe bay under full sail....was a glorious site.
We went to Walton on the Naze a few weeks back and one came sailing down the coast not very far off shore

Will Everard - Page 2 Img_2010

a bit too far off for my phone camera, but still a great sight ( the haze didn't help either Rolling Eyes)

My parents had a caravan near Morecambe and Glasson was a favourite outing for us, although I don't remember many boats to look at. Many years ago before we moved south. Crying or Very sad

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2018 6:18 pm

the one I used to see had a grey/whiter hull...…..much similar to that in your photo.

I do know she moved back down to the south east......wonder if its the same barge....they are a beautiful sight...….would love to see them racing...……..just too far these days to travel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will Everard   Will Everard - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Will Everard
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2