TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New workshop coming soon!

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

New workshop coming soon! Empty
PostSubject: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyFri May 25, 2018 10:29 pm

If anyone notices my lack of progression with builds over the next month or so it’s due to a entirely new build!

First up is I have to decorate upstairs in the house including my eldest daughters room in preps for her little sister to move in,  so that’s new walls and flooring along with two new beds! Then onto my sons room for his overhaul I e been putting off for a year... Busy busy..
Then onto the landing and bathroom for new flooring.

Once that’s done I can finally move all the junk that’s been accumulating in our old coal shed either to the backyard Bon fire or to the kids rooms, freeing up the coal shed for my new workshop...

All brand sparky new stuff! Including new tooling to which I’ve already spent a monkey on with a decent pillar drill, 10” circular saw and sanding belt and drum machine.

I’ve yet to replace the lathe, but it’s not a priority machine as I never used my old one enough which is why I sold to start with... I may replace it should there be space but the old coal sheds not massive but is is a good size to swing 36” models about in!

But in that regard watch this space for my custom workshop build log I’m sure many would love to see a disgusting budget custom workshop build!

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat May 26, 2018 1:30 am

Go for it Aron we do what we must they say a change is as good as a holiday.

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat May 26, 2018 8:23 am

when you have done all that decorating work. you will be doing the nappys and feeding your new arrival i Suspect so no time for boats scratch but hope all goes well for you.

david
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat May 26, 2018 11:47 am

davidjt wrote:
when you have done all that decorating work. you will be doing the nappys and feeding your new arrival i Suspect so no time for boats scratch but hope all goes well for you.

david

I thought that when we had the last two babies in the last 3 years in all honest my Mrs is really good with the kids and she frees me up some time during school runs and mid evening after dinner for me to do some modelling most days, this is a reason why I stopped doing custom builds for others tho as my free time is limited and I’ve got to a point where I’m not enjoying building something I never see again. So now I focus what little time I’m allowed to my own projects.

Most people here notice I go between projects at times and that was simply due to having an order for a boat come in and I had to put my projects down but in the last 18months I’ve gone back to focusing on my own builds and finishing my collection.

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat May 26, 2018 7:59 pm

waiting with baited breath,  lol! 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySun May 27, 2018 2:43 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySun May 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Well I’ve started the kids room today, so a couple of days to finish this job then I’ll have to start going through the coal shed and start clearing out the crap we’ve accumulated over the years that just got dumped in there.

New beds ordered for the kids, new carpet on route for the stairs...

I’m going to be sore In the morning!

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue May 29, 2018 6:32 pm

As you can see I’ve been busy....

One room down and flooring in there and the landing, I’ve had to drastically change how the stairs go now as we were going to paint the stairs and add carpet treads...

As you can see by the photos the stairs would need a full overhaul if not replacing entirely to achieve that look, so instead were fitting a decent carpet up the stairs cut in a landing pad at the top with some trim to tidy it up and the Mrs wants stair rod/ tie backs to finish ( she wants a queens stair case!) so once the carpet fitters been tomorrow for a quote that will get fitted, then lastly onto my sons room for new flooring.

Once all those are done, new beds are going in and we’re moving our two babie girls In with the eldest, the Mrs and I may finally get 1 night without a baby, wouldn’t that be nice?  lol!

Workshop coming soon.... I have a shipment of power tools arriving tomorrow so lots of goodies to play with.  Very Happy

New workshop coming soon! 005ace10
New workshop coming soon! B17ff010
New workshop coming soon! 5d63a210
New workshop coming soon! 62526810
New workshop coming soon! 299cbe10
New workshop coming soon! C8c09310

Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue May 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Nice work:Thumbup:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyWed May 30, 2018 5:26 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyWed May 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Toys have started appearing....

New workshop coming soon! Adc07510
New workshop coming soon! 2a831110
New workshop coming soon! Ad20cc10
New workshop coming soon! 484eec10
New workshop coming soon! D117c410

Pillar drill.... and 3” pillar drill vice,

10” table saw and other extras...

Belt and drum sander and other spares....

170 titanium drill bits....

Still missing my new screwdriver set tho...

More also coming silent

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyThu May 31, 2018 5:24 am

Good variety Aron there's a micro drill set available on ebay that I get heaps of use from.

Listing No 401277633478

Mouse over image to zoom

• New workshop coming soon! S-l64

Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

150PCS 0.4mm-3.2mm Twist Drill Bit Kit Set HSS Micro Number Fractional Precision
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Got another new toy today.... upgraded row bot v2.

Guess you’ll be seeing a much larger rowing boat soon enough Very Happy

Maybe like this one?

New workshop coming soon! Ad095010
New workshop coming soon! 7a3c0910

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Two bedrooms are done and a totally new landing and stair case fit for my queen.

All thats left with is a shift about of the junk from these rooms and then onto my workshop... this could get interesting pretty fast!

New workshop coming soon! 1e9ed210
New workshop coming soon! D57a4e10

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 2:16 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

First order of any day KEEP The QUEEN HAPPY  lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Happy wife happy life

I’m my case happy wife... and I’ll nag at your regardless.

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm

lovely work Aron...…...but from the woodwork on your boats...…...only to be expected.like the woodwork.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 pm

I will at some point wrap the hand rails with nylon cord similar to my long ago blog on how to do rope work, a similar wrap to the bell cord.

That would easily need a few months to sit their over the evenings and wrap the banister and rails... till then I’m going to let the wood settle and expand etc for the winter and see if it needs adjusting and decide if I still want to do that or just paint it.

I was tempted to varnish it but sadly with the rest of the old wood on the stairs without resorting to a full strip down and a ton of mess for very little payoff it really isn’t an option, the Mrs is also contemplating if she wants the living room wall removed and put back up to cover the stairs increasing the living room by an extra 4 foot in width.. ( its not a supporting wall)I have told her should it do that it won’t be for a few years since I only laid the living room floor last year.

But it wouldn’t be a hard fit to remove a section of the floor and relay with some infil planks as I still have 20 left from the upstairs job which would fix that in no time and no extra cost other than the wall.

Let’s hope she opted out of that as last time I removed a “ non supporting wall” ( as per a surveyors/builders notes) we soon found that non supporting wall was actully supporting the bath in the separate bathroom! So along with replacing the kitchen and dining room roof from the damage the the bath caused I also had to fit an 1 ton RSJ between the front to the back of the house to support everything! Never trust a builders advice huh, a job that should have been a couple 100 squid turned into a 3 grand heachach!

Good thing I was young then Very Happy

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 8:31 pm

My nightmare has begun.... and it really is a nightmare given the state of the walls, it’s going to take some serious effort and work to fix some of the base building issues first before I even get to the main build...

The far wall has two major cracks one closest to the house wall isn’t so bad but the other is to the outta corner of the house and is pretty leathal, as that wall isn’t actully attached to anything but the floor foundations and I expect it’s the roof and the external wall cladding keeping it from collapsing.

I’ve just used some silicon to tidy up what remained of the crack to seal it from any draughts, I’ll now start the slow progression on building a new internal wall frame which will bolt to the wall, not only reinforcing the walls to each other but support the new roof, insulation panels and walls.
I’ve also opted to fit some sound board to the wall side wall to help reduce noise passing into the hours although the noisest machine i would run is the table saw and those you don’t just leave on for hours!

I’ve also got to run a ring main for power and lighting, which I’ll tap into the houses fuse box as we have a few spare spaces on ours for dedicated trips without effecting the rest of the house.

I also have to look at getting some levelling compound for the floor with some new floor boards to cover and fix the very bad current floor which I expect is the original foundation of this extension.

After that it’s a matter of fitting kitchen units counter top and a mod to the counter top so I can permantly fix the table saw to it, but fully retract the blade into the top and still use the surface as work area when not using the tool, I’m also looking to do a similar thing with my router so I can use that with the new table saws fence I’ll build... possibly but it’s not a priority.

Wish me luck and keep watching things are kicking off!

New workshop coming soon! 49960310
New workshop coming soon! 6cc6b910

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 9:37 pm

that's not a workshop..……..its the black hole of Calcutta, lol. lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 11:45 am

It’s defiantly a black hole on my wallet...

Evil or Very Mad

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Let’s start with plan A:-

New workshop coming soon! 5bd98810

inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 pm

I've got a new workshop coming, too. This is it so far New workshop coming soon! 1_june10

and this is an image of what's going on there. I've a fairly good idea of what's going in there but the MOST IMPORTANT THING is that it has to be green with white window frames, door and barge boards..... By Order of Senior Domestic Management. BTW there will be none of that decking shown in the second picture - the floor bearers go straight onto the slabs.New workshop coming soon! Cabin_11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 pm

come and do my garden for me please dave when you've finished your workshop...……….i'll put a bed up for you in the wendy house...……….it might take you a day or two, lol.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 8:38 pm

One and a half frame up in a couple hours, you can see how uneven the room is with the new frame squared up I have gaps up to 2.5” in some places compared to the wall and there is absolulty nothing I can do about it!

Fortunately with the frame work squaring up my internal work space is so far remaining the same as per my drawn out plan, it’s not massive in walkway but no worse than a typical shed, and this is using full size 600mm kitchen units and work surface.

Few more days work on the frame and once I know what gaps I’ll have I’ll order the insulation, so between that arriving I’ll wire up the electrics and start to fit the units as they should be here Thursday, which will help me greatly come the back wall since the frame is not full height simply as the frame will bolt to the wall and the unit and counter slip under, all covered in cladding to tidy up.

New workshop coming soon! Eca33710

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 pm

I did almost opt for a shed.. one “I” ( the boss) wanted was £1200 as it’s a also a summer house... then I remembered I only needed to skip everything we trashed in the coal shed and convert it.. so far I’m up to £210 with what materials I’ve brought ( including 5 new kitchen units) and I expect another £400 ish to finish... + the £500 in new power toys still works out cheaper than the shed/summer house.
The new walls will see the internal space 4 foot wide and 12 foot ish long, to which even a shed can’t give in space for the same money.

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Before I fit the rear frame I needed to work out the Exact higher of the units and work surface which has lead me down the path to pop up a couple of the units, it also allows me to check that the new frame is square and true which I’m happy to say so far is perfect.

It’s going to be a slow hog through this as I have to build parts in stages and order as I need as I simply have no where to store everything in the hose as downstairs and the kitchen look like a bomb hit it with everything else right now!

As you can see from the photos once the units are in and the bench on I have a whooping 700mm between the unit top and the new wall to work in...

It’s not a huge gap for my fat arse, and certainly not big enough to swing a cat about but it’s more than enough room to work without basing elbows against things. Sadly this is them limitation of this work space however without custom building slimmer units or bench supports to fit a slimmer work surface it’s something I’ll have to live with.

Not all bad my old mans shed is just as bad but he certainly hasn’t got the length I have not the comfort of it being part of the actual house!

Keep watching things are progresssing.

New workshop coming soon! 374cfe10

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 9:28 pm

After spending two hours working out which corner wasn’t square.... and finally getting it spot on, I moved to build the back wall frame which as you can see only needs to be from the roof height down to the unit/worksurface night, the gaps behind the units will also hold insulation and yet allow me to squeeze just that little extra space as possible, it’s also fortunate the back wall is relatively level in comparison to the rest of the outhouse. It should be too as that’s the actual foundation wall to the main house so my gap around that wall so far is less then half inch at the far corner where as it’s butted hard to the wall in the other corner.

I’ll make an effort to pop the new wall up in its correct place tomorrow as right now it’s just few standing on the units with a couple of screws stopping it from falling over.

Now I did check that new wall piece also fits perfectly along the door wall so I’m now confident I’ve got the frame work as perfect and square as humanly possible, give or take literally 1mm!

Today I ordered the insulation, due to the gaps spacing I’ve opted to just buy 100mm thick loft insulation not just for the roof but to slot into the frame work, I can compress the insulation in places where the gap isn’t that deep, and allow it to press against the cladding for full thickness, I brought 3 rolls that’s covers 8m2 which should be enough to fill the walls and allow me to double up the roof cavity.
Insulation arrives Thursday, so I’ll fit the electrics once the frames up tomorrow and Sunday and re-measure for the claddding and order that either Sunday or Monday ( it’s a 4day turn around on delivery from b&q) I’ll also look to order the worksurface at the same time. Which will just leave me to do the roof purchase to which I’m still undecided if I want to go pvc, hardboard, or just some ply I can gloss, I’ll work this out again over the weekend and see what’s practical and cheap as it’s a roof after all!

New workshop coming soon! 3f2bb710
New workshop coming soon! 5c987410

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 16, 2018 1:14 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 16, 2018 11:06 pm

Coming along very nicely Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 16, 2018 11:49 pm

what sort of lighting are you putting in aron.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySun Jun 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Frames almost finished I’ve had to adjust a few for racking, shelfing options and bike rack support.

As for the light i brought a LAP 6 foot long batten light from screw fix for £45 which was cheaper than my original option of a standard tube light fitting and an led tube.

This ones 60w with 6000 lumen of power for a 25.000 hour life span. It’s a non replaceable bulb but it should do well for a 2-3 years before I start having issues.

New workshop coming soon! 52882510
New workshop coming soon! Bed99210
New workshop coming soon! 970e5010

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyMon Jun 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Not much done today other than layout a plan for the wiring, gave me a little headache as I couldn’t fit a 3rd cable through the wall I drilled into the wall to the CU to finish a ring main, which left me with only one option to instead run a ring with the two cables I could fit through and off one of the plugs opposite the light switch fit a 3amp fused spur to power the light.

Now a lot of you may first just say... drill a bigger hole... or a 2nd hole...

Let me tell you that believe me I tried... however the house is so old it has steel/iron plating between the coal shed and the main house walls that’s 5mm thick...along with the fact I had to use a 12”masonry bit to finish the hole. That’s how thick the two walls were, I used my biggest drill bit I could to grind though to 15mm I just don’t have anything bigger, I was tempted to drill a 2nd hole and use that, however when I tell you it took me an hour to drill the first with a ton of swear words it just worked out easier to spend £1.99 on a decent spur box!

So right now I have 4 sockets in place all with the wiring ready to attach and the light switch and it’s accompanying junction ready to fit tomorrow, I also have a length of cable jumped over the wall to the little outhouse as the Mrs wants power out there for the tumble dryer and freezer so we can move them from the house to make space for a dish washer.

No photos as simply not much to see other than mess!

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyTue Jun 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Today I wired up the sockets as a ring main all but the lighting as I’m waiting for the spur to arrive for that, I’m also waiting on the insulation worktops and cladding which should be arriving from tomorrow, so with little to do until those items arrive I took the time to mod one of the 1000m units to take the tablesaw.

I was going to remove the saws original bed but i figured if I ever needed it out for some reason that I simply have to just pop the counter top up ( as it’s a short peice just for this tool) and slide the entire unit out and lift the tool right out of the unit, to restore the table to its factroy function it only takes two nuts and bolts to reattach the sliding section of the bed and it’s ready to rock.

So far very happy, but I do need to add a 2nd central brace to the rear shelf the saw sits on as it’s flexing a tiny bit which I’ll finish up tomorrow and I also need to bolt the saws body to the shelf as the saw has so much power it wants to jump and slide down the unit! Simple fixes and the only mod to the unit was two decent braces for the shelf, an addition of (two) central braces and a tiny cut along the front bars edge to just make the saw fit, which won’t be seen once the worktops fitted.

A good result and less hastle than I originally though.

Once the worktops in place (28mm) the saw will still give me 44mm if cut depth, and will once I have added the insert for the counter the full 45dregee bevel cutting ability.

New workshop coming soon! 3228a610
New workshop coming soon! D14a1510

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Table saw unit finished off today and it’s fully supported without effecting the units it’s looks to badly, there is a pair of shelf braces underside but to just simply walk in and look you can’t spot them.

I only need to cut out the insert for the saw into the worktop to finish this, I’m still debating if I fit some T track to the counter top as a guide for a fence and cutting slide, however I’m also concidering making up a clip on fence that uses the worktops front edge and that I can clamp down too...

Either way it’s an easy addition later if needs be. But I haven’t forgotten I actully need a cutting fence!

I’ve done it this way to the units as of right now none will have doors or draws, this May change at a later stage but until I’ve started using the shop I won’t know which units will need extras, or if I need a draw here or there for extra storage, it was also a cost factor, to be able to afford a few of the nicer luxury’s I sacrificed unit fronts.

The insulation also arrived today, I got a bulk discount on buying more then 2 rolls so purchased 3, it’s taken pretty much two full rolls to do the walls and leaves me with a full roll for the roof, I know I’ll have left over from this roll but I’ve already decided when I do the utility room for the Mrs, I’ll pop another false ceiling in and fill it with what remains, ( the utility room is the same as the shop just 6 foot shorter as my workshop is the coal shed and the utility room was the original downstairs toilet.)

Lots done today but I’ve still yet to source something for the roof, I have no idea why I keep putting that off... as I need the roof to finish The lights true location, I’ll have to make an effort as the unit worktop and all the cladding arrives tomorrow!

I expect I’ll just pick up a couple sheets of 3mm ply and be done with it, I’m still awaiting the bike racks which should also arrive tomorrow I hope so I can check that I did put the supports in the right place before I clad the walls, I’m also waiting still on my spur for the lighting portion of the electrics, again I’m hoping for tomorrow so I can spend the day waiting for delivery’s but also do the little jobs in between and finally power the wiring to the houses CU and test everything is working correctly before I clad. it’s going to be a somewhat busy weekend that’s for sure!

New workshop coming soon! 9347bd10
New workshop coming soon! Dde8b710
New workshop coming soon! Fd13b010
New workshop coming soon! 2e31cb10

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Sorted the roofing...

eBay helped me out managed to get some pvc bathroom ceiling cladding to do the job for £45, it’s younger and groove and 5mm thick which should slot between the frame and the roof beam with a tiny bit of persuasion.

Other things arrived today, the 3, 2m lengths of worksurface, this actully annoyed me I had to get 3 lengths of 2m rather than a single 3m and a single 2m to do the job, however the 3m even though are at times actully 3050mm still would not have fit as the gap was actully 7cm...

Annoyed but honestly cost wise the 3, 2m units delivered was cheaper then the alternatives.
I will have two rather large off cuts floating about but I’m sure I can find a use for some 28mm thick laminated chipboard down the road, possibly a new surface at least in the mrs utitily room, so not a complete waste.

Also all my cladding arrived, I have actully brought at least 20,1.8m planks to many but I actully like making boxes from this stuff so I have some box material ready to go once the shops done!

Today I finished up fitting the insulation, I’ve also built the remains units and levelled them off correctly, it was a lot more hastle then I thought, you would think getting the back to the right height and levelling the fronts would be good enough but I didn’t take into account the frame didn’t square and true up the lower section of the wall so I was trying to level units that weren’t actully square to the room! So after 2 hours wasted, I took a section of worktop and squared it to the wall, them just revealed and squared each unit, took 30 mins after that!
I must point out here I’ve never actully Installed a kitchen, units or worktop before, ( I’ve normally had a kitten company come do it for me!) learnt something that it’s a ball ach!
But I’m pleased to say all the units are perfectly placed and fit as per my plan with 8mm to spare on the corner u it which is enough to slip the cladding down to finish the spacing.

I’ve still got to do the lighting electrics tomorrow then wire to the house and test before I start cutting the worksurface to sizes, for those I’m going simply and easy I’ll just used my router to cut the tops to fit and use counter trims to clean the edge and join lines, I’m not going to the effort to jig up to fit surfaces like a good kitchen instal as worktops will and do get damaged so doing this makes swapping the tops out easy, I’ve also got to recess the saws insert, and still decide if I’m adding t tracks or going for a slide fence.. either way I can add tracks later since the worktops can just slide out once unscrewed.

New workshop coming soon! F7071f10
New workshop coming soon! D1804210
New workshop coming soon! 2f301910

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 1:37 am

Looking good Aron.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 
Question is there room for a chair? does not appear to have under desk leg room.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 12:03 am

I have 61cm of walk way from the counter top to the back walls, same widths as the bench top itself, and yes there is room for a stool my dad is actully bringing my original dentist chair up with him in August for the shop I left it with my brother when I moved as thoughts for a workshop back then were non-existent, I was tempted to buy a new stool for the shop but I really do like my original chair, as it’s back support doubles as an arm rest and replacing a chair that useful for another will set me back £300 2nd hand on eBay, ( I checked recently) which is where I got that 13 years ago, and then it still cost be £160!

Generally for most jobs I’m doing I’m like my old man and stand while we work, hence why the counter tops are set to their max height so your not bent over to far while working, however many little jobs require my backside sat down, again this is why my original chair is also useful as it has a full 1meter raise on its ram if needs be so regardless of the counter height the chair will always work.

The space is at a premium this is the limitation of the coal shed, after all it was built for nothing other than holding a years supply of coal for the fire and hot water when this house was built, not for a workshop.

To be fair.. most “sheds” ( and I mean a quality shed not some of the crap you can find of timber that’s substandard) of a similar size in 12” lengths generally give you about 6 foot of width but those come with price tags in the £6-800 mark, and sheds wider just keep going up in price. Then you hit either double width sizes, or summer houses again in some cases your are in the £12-1500 mark just for the shed/summer house to which it needs a decent bed to sit, electrics, and in this case where I live with winters that are from October till end of April with snow from nov till April insulation. So going on price, my workshop gives me a little more in creature comforts ( also covered under house insurance cos it’s actully part of the house and not a shed) came in at a finish cost of £765, I really could not get better for less!

My old man only a couple years ago brought a new workshed when he had the garden redone with limestone, and his shed alone is 8x6 with a 10 year guarantee on the timber and water tightness, set him back £800 Installed.
Don’t get me wrong it’s a really nice shed, but I had a message from my dad saying he’s a little jelouse if my luxury workshop.

But this is why I went full wall and a single corner units ( I could have gone double corner units but I opted for the extra walkway on the far wall side, this maximises my useable storage, it gives me full size worktops ( as the table saw is rebates into the unit, with the insert fitted I get a flat worktop that’s usable as workspace when the saws not in use) I also have good hight on the walls to add shelf’s when needed, the units also being bare frames give me scope to add draws, or doors later as needs be, those again I won’t know until I start using the shop and work out exatully what’s missing.

Like most shops it’s always a work in progress but I’ve got the basics down, added luxury’s, heating, insulation and lighting and a fully useable space All year round in relative comfort.

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 12:33 am

Anyway more profess today, I was going to do the counter tops but I forgot to order the trims that link the tops, I’m not going to router them in, simply the jig cost £100 to do that and it’s not worth spending for a single job, even 2nd hand ones are £50ish.. where are two metal trim connectors cost me £8.

Instead I waited till the post man delivered the final parts for the electrics, (my fused spur) and I wired that in checked all the sockets and connections many times over for shorts and looseness, and double checked all the earths, finally I wired the ring main to the house.

Everything powered up flawlessly no issues. ( I didn’t expect any to be honest, this wasn’t my first time wiring up a room I’ve done shops and studios in the past)

Then stroke of luck, the roof cladding arrived so I powered off the lighting ring and fitted the roof pannels Adding insulation every few pannels, the last two pannels are shorter in width so I can hook them out easy and pull back the roofing should I have issues with a roof leak ( although the roof doesn’t leak) or the roof lighting plays up ( it happends)

I do have to pop to town tomorrow as I forgot to buy screws for the cladding but I need 30mm with small heads I only have 30 &40’s with quite large heads on and this will detract from the finish, I was going to nail the cladding on but I’ve opted for screws , as they do not move as the wood dose and it’s also easier to pop screws out fast if I have an electrical issue I can’t resolve down the road, I know acres will detract from the overall finish but I’m willing to live with that for the sake of good maintenance. Providing I can get the screws lines up perfectly with each other it should be much of an eye sore.

I am at an en pass until my counter Trims arrive as I need the counter in place to re-check the units before bolting them together and securing the counter to them, also I need to get those in place so I can get the saw cut made and the insert fitted. Once that’s done it’s simply a matter of cladding and a good hoover out then start adding racking, shelf’s etc etc. I’ld like to think this time next week I’ll be finished, if I had remembered the trims earlier I would have defiantly be pretty much done come Monday, such is life!

New workshop coming soon! 4a64b510
New workshop coming soon! 60739910
New workshop coming soon! A8d4ac10

Forgive the photos rotation I’m still trying to work out my camera on this new iPhone it doesn’t orentiate the photos the same as my old one!... I’ll work on it.

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Until I can do the long worktop for the saw which is fixated forbthe infill peice with the trims I’ve decided to start cladding up what I can, using the worktop as the start point knowing it’s level and flat I can work both up then downwards to the floor. Here’s the start...

Fingers crossed on the photo!

New workshop coming soon! C8553710

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 1:04 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Another two walls done today, I would have preferred to do the window wall but to my surprise b&q made a balls up and sent me the 2.4m length cladding with the extra beading inset, which isn’t what I ordered as I ordered smooth cladding... the 1.8m lengths were fine but the lengths I need to finish the widow and 3/4 of the back wall are wrong... fortunately they will correct by Thursday which gives me time providing my trims arrive to install the worktops and cutout the insert for the saw.

Needless to say I wasn’t happy and yet hand to spotted the mistake since everything was bubbles wrapped and I never took it off, and at a glance the cladding looks the same. My mistake for not spotting earlier but b&q clearly dropped the ball by not checking something so simple!

Anyway I have progressed... tomorrow I’ll try to get the door frame done or at least half... I’ve got a nice pile of off cuts of reasonable length, I’ll have to find uses for those.

Ok here’s hoping the photos are orentated correctly today... I still can’t get his bloody phone.

New workshop coming soon! E551ee10

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 pm

I sent a message on my phone but it doesn't seam to have shown...……..just a point if you keep one strip light and you are working on your saw, be very careful of shadowing mate...…….if I were you I would be inclined to put a strip on each side of the workshop to alleviate this...…….I did in my workshop and one over my drawing board, and don't get a shadow at all where ever I work in the shop.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 pm

End is in site, b&q showed up today with the right cladding and the counter top trims finally arrived, eBay hit and miss on postage..

Anyway back wall to do after I finish the counter top, I’ll have to also order some corner trim to tidy up the window and door frame and slightly later around the roof edge, this gives everything’s a chance to settle for a few months and also allow me to fix any roof issues should they occur as right now I can peel back the roof pannels with simply undoing a single screw. I do t forsea any leaks the coal shed has never had puddles of water in that we noticed or any damp marks anywhere.

Photos so far!

New workshop coming soon! 6fd15010
New workshop coming soon! Bdd7f610
New workshop coming soon! 1b39ab10
New workshop coming soon! B74ea510
New workshop coming soon! 9d64fe10

Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 2:20 pm

What’s the temperature like in there with this mad heatwave we are having.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Thebworkshops our of the sun till mid afternoon so it’s pretty shaded, it’s been about 19-20 degrees with the window and door wide open but has been heating up to 25 ish later in the day.

It’s been mostly comfortable working in there but it’s hard to judge if it’s hot or I’m just sweating through hard work right now...

Anyway workshops practically finished I juts need to but some corner trims for the door, window and around the roof line, I’ll buy that a little later in the year once things have stated the settle and see if I need extra screws in a few places, but overall the workshop is done I’m just having a good blitz before I unpack the house back into it, some photos once it’s clean and tidy

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 11:21 pm

Fini!

Besides some trims to clean up edges and corners, workshops done! I’ve spent the last few hours moving some stuff in already but I’ll have to take some time and sort through the boxes and put them away properly rather than dumping them in.

So for now photos of the finished build I’ll start adding racking and shelfing as I go I have some parts already I just wanted to admire my wood work for a few days before coving a lot of it with racking and such!

New workshop coming soon! 0154af10
New workshop coming soon! 17b68410
New workshop coming soon! 0e816110

Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi mate, wayyyyyyy too clean & tidy... If you need help making it messy let me know, I'm real good at that!!!!  lol! lol! lol!

mark...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 am

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New workshop coming soon!   New workshop coming soon! Empty

Back to top Go down

New workshop coming soon!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next