TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?

Go down 
+6
Kleban
AlanP
GWA84
Roadrunner
Tug--Kenny
Norseman
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? Empty
PostSubject: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi

I'm just starting out it occurs to me that almost every tool I have is geared towards the full scale world - so a reasonable question would seem to be; What do I absolutely need, and what items should I get next. Having asked that - I want to try and scratch build, and it won't be sailing ships if that's relevant.

Regards Norseman
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Norseman

You Will need all your grown up tools and maybe some extra ones.

I assume from your letter that you are thinking in miniature. There aren't many small tools really needed except fine cutting and working tools. I rate the Stanley knife my best tool and keep the blade in mint condition. Now that I've learnt to keep my fingers well clear, it is a fantastic tool.

Also I love my sanding machines and can work plastic and wood to a superb finish. This can include a belt sander and a table disk sander. The Dremmel tool comes to mind but can be a pain on the vibration front, if it has flexible drive shaft.

Happy modelling

Ken

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Tools in my box.. (s)

Stanley knife & blades,

Collection of saws, chizzels, plains Large med and small ( smallest i own is 1/2" designed for the wooden instrument sector's), for metal work & wood.

Screw drivers ranging from larger sizes down to electricians screw drivers with smaller heads then down to watch makers.

Then a selection of non Philips or flat heads , instead have either star heads & Allen key heads in varying sizes.

Soldering Iron ( 25watt, 50 watt) blow torch silver solder & normal, heat blocks

Heat shrink, magnifying glasses, clamps, vice sull size anvil type a small one and a micro one that's only 1 inch wide, cutting mat, straight edge steel rule, 3 spirit levels large one ( over 1 m) small one (30cm) and a mini level 1".

Squares large and small ( i have 16 different sizes, the smallest is 1/2" ) i also have a selection of shapers that can take shapes of objects for templates.

Large selection of files large to micro.

Hand sanding blocks of all shapes

Power tools..

Electric sander, jigsaw, power drill, pillar drill, dremel + 1000's of attachments and a mini metal working lathe 24" long.

That about sums up my workshops and tools (must have missed a few cos that list seams tiny to the workshop tool board) I use regularly on every model. Taken me 15 years to collect that lot and there's a ton I still really want to buy, just no room!

But all I started off with was a Stanley knife, emery paper, a cork cutting matt, pair of scissors, a vice, a junior coping saw & a 12" steel rule and a few files. Worked with those for at least 2 years before i started buying more complex tools for jobs, most of which was cos i started to get a bit lazy and make life that little bit easier, take the dremel.. used to do all the work by hand but that little tool is worth its weigh in gold now for time saving of common jobs!

If there is one tool to buy on your list it should be a dremel, I couldn't live without mine nowadays!

GWA84
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
GWA84

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 2:16 pm

also a scalpel with different blades forsepts and verios mini pliers and snips are a must
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 2:53 pm

~Tweezers, tin snips, paint brushes, pliers, pins, needles, glues etc i knew i was missing some items, i think there's more still!

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 7:45 pm

definately my laithe.....couldn't be without it......use it for so many things.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi

Yes I have some of these tools already and others I'll pick up soon. I bought a second hand scroll saw today still shiny and boxed for only £25 - I'm collecting it Tuesday. I have a big problem with my right thumb so manualy sawing anything ends up quite painful. So for the same reason I also like the idea of (don't know the name) the round sander that runs like an inverted drill bit and sands edges to profile. Blades and scalpels are up next on my list plus a little vice with magnifier attached

A mini lathe sounds great too but I wouln't know what to use it for yet - I'll have to check out those tutorials on You tube.

I really appreciate the advice - as will other newbies looking in or searching. A toolbox talk is not a bad idea for a proper sticky at some time.

Regards Norseman

PS - do I still need 'elbow grease' if I buy lots of power tools?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Norseman wrote:

PS - do I still need 'elbow grease' if I buy lots of power tools?

definately....you have to lift 'em out the back of the car for a start.. lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 am

If you invest in a lathe then i would suggest a watch makers lathe, around the £250 mark mines about 24" in length very useful as it does both wood and metal for item up to 18" in length which is more then enough for anything i model, if i do need things bigger then I normally get friends to make up parts of the old work one i learnt my skills on.

I would advice though not learning a lathe skill of youtube... lathes are notoriously dangerous in the wrong hands, if you set the rpm to high your asking for a trip to the emergency room guaranteed, there are many great books out there that can teach you basic skills on lathe work, or find people you know with one to show you how they work properly, i have seen ( and taken) more people to hospital with shards of metal in eyes & fingers, cutting bits impaled in cheek bones, and even one guy sticking his finger clean off thinking that fresh cut metal is not sharp its smooth... while its still running.. what a twat he was!

Gloves, safety glasses and coveralls are all needs when lathe working, i use a boiler suit and some welding gloves and my bright yellow safety goggles with side eye shields when working on mine, along with a bandanna to cover my mouth stop the partials going in, especially if i'm homing a bronze or beryllium prop for friends who want perfectly balanced props for there pocket rockets. (beryllium partials will kill you!)

But apart from the warnings on what's not to do... if you get it right you can make all sorts, i normally make up prop shafts, re cut threads on props of shafts for some use, you can make rollers, wheels for blocks, decorative items from turned brass or wood, (hand rails, stansions, boat stand brass fixings) Gears (i have a jig for micro bevelled spur gears from 10 teeth up to to 30 in range of sizes from 1mm up to 8mm but it takes a long time to do, new only tried it recently) and there just a few things i do regularly on it.

AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:44 pm

A band saw, I could not manage without it.

Ordered my lathe yesterday, another toy to play with. I know, I know Roadrunner, it isn't a toy. Smile

Alan
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi

Roadrunner threw 'glues' into the toolbox - got a feeling there's a fair bit to know about which glue when and where?

Norseman
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:51 pm

err ya glues....

Epoxy resins, such as ''Aradite'' or a new one im trying out 'gorilla glue'', two part mix resin and hardener. come in forms of 5 min quick set, 30 min for longer work time, and 12/24 hour slow setting.

Best uses on GRP to plastic, plastic to plastic, metal to metal, wood to metals, plastics etc, there's very little this will not stick to really.

Super glue (cyno) different thickness's available. thicker glue for more heavy duty applications, thin for lighter. good for many jobs white metal to white metal , plastic to metal, plastic to plastic, wood to plastics metals etc, not really good for sticking to GRP though since epoxy can do a better job.

Plastic weld good only for plastic to plastic!

uff and countless other things some of these glues stick too..

evo stick good for sticking fabrics to fabric or other items, rubber etc.

this is pretty much a rough guide (far to tired today to actually think) so might need a few gaps filling in ... basically super glue and some quick setting epoxy is in my portable (lake side) tool box, then i have all the others in the workshop...

RR

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
err ya glues....

Super glue (cyno) different thickness's available. thicker glue for more heavy duty applications, thin for lighter. good for many jobs white metal to white metal , plastic to metal, plastic to plastic, wood to plastics metals etc, not really good for sticking to GRP though since epoxy can do a better job.

RR

tell me chaps.......is there a viable alternative to cyano.

as i get older, i am increasingly more and more prone to bad attacks on the synusses, even when i use my expensive zap and rocket oderless superglues......the cold like cattarr symptems that used to last but a couple of days, now last weeks, including bad bronchial coughs if i merely have a sniff of them
i use full filter masks, and nothing seems to work......so am looking for an alternative...tried gorrila glue...great stuff but takes too long to set.
any ideas would be greatfully heard.
neil.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:32 am

only thing i can suggest is to try a multi adhesive such as this one...

Sticks Like Sh*t

I see no reason why it can't do the job. Just watch how much you squirt out... you be using cocktail sticks me thinks.

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:37 am

cheers, mate........I'll try that.
neil.
Back to top Go down
Kleban
Midshipman
Midshipman
Kleban

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 7:33 am

My two-penneth worth;

A 1/4" socket set ... Smile
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 am

The most important thing in my box these days is a magnifying lens and and a pair of 3.5X specs

Geoff
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 8:55 am

I think the most important thing in mine (not tool box)is my wife... without her i doubt i would have fingers left lol!

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

they come in very handy for running you up to A & E, I can vouch for that, affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 6:06 pm

The helping hand is a very usefull tool.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 2:19 am

Hi

Looking at other builds, I think I need to get a soldering iron and as I have never done any soldering - is there any particular model that's best or are there things to look out for? Is it cheap and cheerful or a get what you pay for tool?

Ha - I was going through my grandads old tools and I found what looks like a soldering iron (heated by fire) but maybe it's a plumbers tool for lead. I haven't looked in that old box for twenty years, and it was nice to pick up his old tools again. Plus I found my great great grandfathers saw in there (it has his name on it). So I couldn't resist cutting a piece of scrapwood - the teeth need setting a little that's all. Not bad for about 150 years old.

Regards Norseman
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 7:59 am

A 25W a 50w and a blow torch are all i have ever needed, the 25w for normal soldering, the 50w for soldering brass with soft solder, the blowtorch for silver soldering.

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 6:10 am

Instead of taking all day to list contents of 3.6m x 2.4m shed I'll say all or most listed above lol and do a pictorial 360 degrees.

Taig micro lathe

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S2-1

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S3-1

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S4-1

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S5

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S6

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S7

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S8

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? D5

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S10

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? S9

I have a thing about having the right tools for the job making them if I can't buy them lol!

Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:13 am

Cor blimey Damien, that place must get hot during one of your summers.. sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:53 am

It gets a bit warm Barry but it's under the carport so it's not in direct sunlight until late afternoon I have a 23cm oscillating fan to stir the dust errr breeze lol! It is still hot when ambient temp is above 30c though.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 pm

I've just added a new gadget to my 'toolbox'. This is ACTion's Servomaster for testing servos, checking Transmitter accuracy, running in motors etc. They cost £30 from ACTion and I never quite get round to justifying that amount. I spotted one on eBay last week - brand new and unused. I got it for £4.99 +postage - a real bargain I think Surprised
Like all ACTion units this required the box to be cut to suit, but the unit was pre-built. It's actualy fairly old being before Dave Milbourn took over ACTion. I believe they are only available in kit form now.

Barrie

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? Imgp2332
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 pm

Well they don't come any older than Dave!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?   What's in a Modeler's Toolbox? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's in a Modeler's Toolbox?
Page 1 of 1