TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Newbie needs help with motor and ESC

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anthony Exton
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Anthony Exton

Newbie needs help with motor and ESC Empty
PostSubject: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi,

I need some help choosing a motor and ESC for a second hand boat I brought for my son for Christmas:rendeer:.

The boat is 40" long & 11" beam single screw.

The boat came with a 540 motor which I believe is a little small? I plan to use 12v 7ah sealed batteries.

I need some advice on a suitable motor and ESC either brushed or brushless?

Anthony
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Welcome aboard, I'm new to the model boat world, there are so many choices out there.

Any chance you could tell what the boat is, perhaps a photy or two might help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 6:56 am

Welcome.

Depending on the type of boat and the speed you want from it, the 540 may not be too small. It also depends a little on what version of the 540 the motor is.

As troutrunner says, a photo would help.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Anthony Exton
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Anthony Exton

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:42 am

Sorry I can not work out how to add a picture to this page, I have added the boat picture as my profile picture.

Anthony
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:50 am

Anthony

Instructions for posting photos are given in the Second Post on the Welcome Section of the Forum, Alternatively email them to me bnw at bnw dot me dot uk and I'll post them.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Anthony Exton
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Anthony Exton

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 1:27 pm

barriew wrote:
Anthony

Instructions for posting photos are given in the Second Post on the Welcome Section of the Forum, Alternatively email them to me bnw at bnw dot me dot uk and I'll post them.

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

Thanks for the information,

Is there anyway to add a picture to a existing post?

Anthony
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Not that I know of, although You could always quote your previous message and add the photo.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 7:28 am

Should be able to add photo's using the edit button at the top right of your posts.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 7:49 am

Damien wrote:
Should be able to add photo's using the edit button at the top right of your posts.

Damien.

DAmien

I think the Edit facility only exists for a short time after making the post.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 8:41 am

Ok barrie perhaps because I'm a moderator I can edit anything anytime.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 2:31 pm

That must be true Damien - the Edit button has gone from my post above.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 3:22 pm

The edit buttons for normal users, is only there for a short period of time, normally up to 12 hours after that it vanishes off the posts to keep them from being tampered with in any form. (accept the moderators, we love to tamper with evidence Laughing )

If your having issues with uploading photos please take a look at the adding photo guide linked here....

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t39-uploading-photo-s-tutorial

& here

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t40-uploading-photos-using-photo-bucket

RR

inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 10:07 am

Anthony Exton wrote:
Hi,

I need some help choosing a motor and ESC for a second hand boat I brought for my son for Christmas:rendeer:.

The boat is 40" long & 11" beam single screw.

The boat came with a 540 motor which I believe is a little small? I plan to use 12v 7ah sealed batteries.

I need some advice on a suitable motor and ESC either brushed or brushless?

Anthony
Anthony
Assuming you're still awaiting a reply, is that a picture of the model as your avatar? If so then I would suggest an MFA 850 with a 45mm or 50mm diameter prop if you intend to use a SLA battery. Personally I wouldn't use a heavy lead-acid battery in such a boat anyway; much of its power would be spent just pushing its own weight. For a very good, reasonably-priced ESC which will cope with this motor go for a Microgyros FR40. Brushless motors require far more current than can be supplied by SLA batteries so you'd need to use either NiMH or LiPo cells. The Vintage Model Company sell two sizes of brushless motor and matched speed controller; the larger one would probably suit your model.
Dave M
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help with motor and ESC   Newbie needs help with motor and ESC Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie needs help with motor and ESC
Page 1 of 1