TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grand Banks Schooner .

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

Grand Banks Schooner . Empty
PostSubject: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Well it had to come someday and I think I'm there now at my" Last model boat"  , and I have been so absorbed in the Gaff rigged Cutter I completed I have decided it will be a Sarik version of Armstrongs" Grand Banks Schooner "which appeals to my new found love of sailing models and the challenge it presents , but mine will have an auxiliary motor fitted [ just in case the wind dies off ]Thumbup and a G/ F hull to be adapted to my needs .

She will be a challenge but one I am willing to take on , as like most modellers its the build that gives the greatest joy up until now.... which is  now finding the wind to sail on Embarassed....

Plans here and hull en -route I'm told , and the best bit is that the amount of bits I have accumulated over the years means that most of what I need I already have apart from a few bits of materials needed that have been used up along with some glues and paint so hopefully I will be clearing the decks of some gear as well , having said that we are a breed that will be forever repairing and fiddling with the model even when finished .......after all thats what refits are for is it not !

I had the sole destroying job of throwing away a lot of tools and materials I will never use again to make space to work in but it would have had to have been done at some stage so now its done , and ready to stroll up to the finishing line EmbarassedGrand Banks Schooner . 5497b110
Back to top Go down
Swab
Gunner
Gunner
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Beaut!
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Many thanks Swab , but I hope to build one like it .....thats not mine , but posted it so that you knew what I was waffling on about , but I concur .....she is a Bute
Back to top Go down
Swab
Gunner
Gunner
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 9:36 pm

I built the billings blue nose schooner years ago as a static model and left it with the ex wife so she's lost forever. I've just done a search of grand banks schooners  so I know you've been asking about it on mayhem but I'm persona non grata and can't see pictures. If that's what you're aiming at post pictures on here I'd like to see your build. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 4:15 pm

Hull came today so fitted 1" steel tube in keel which will have separate keel bolted to underside on protruding bolts and I have epoxied it into the bottom of the internal keel Grand Banks Schooner . 51765710
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 4:39 pm

The items to be fitted are being "Sized up" for fitting , but looking at it I will have to cut a semi circle out of the base where the rudder will be fitted to so that the "Prop" ,can rotate correctly ......time will tell eh ? all of which will be interesting me thinks .....

This is beginning to look like a shoe horn job so I am glad there are cabins on the deck , but at the moment having just received the hull I'm thinking it will be more like a tower block to accommodate it all .......but hey thats the fun of modelling eh Rolling Eyes

Grand Banks Schooner . 95de8c10
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Grand Banks Schooner . 4235f410
Today has been a busy day in marking out where I need to cut the hull to accommodate the propeller and rudder fittings which as they are not original need to be decided on and then treble checked before cutting affraid

I n the last model the motor was sited well forward which worked our well so I took the same approach on this model which meant a longish prop shaft and rummaging through my resident motors decided on which one and then set about checking if it will all fit in 

Looking at the deck layout I felt that all the "Kit" would all fit in [with a little poetic license] so having decided what kit was being used it was a case of checking that they all functioned  and that the prop shaft length was correct , the later I managed to do be utilising some stock brass tube and utilising some of th e bronze bearings out of serviceable "spares" and having cut the tube stock to the correct length made up the shaft assy required Thumbup

Decided on a 1 1/2 "   brass three blade prop in stock , so cut a 2" semi circular hole in the rear of the lower stern .to accommodate it and then lose fitted them and temporarily aligned them all and marked out the fitting sites in need of work 

Next job was to fashion a rudder shaft and bend it to the correct shape to allow a rudder plate to be fashioned and fitted to it....... bearing in mind the addition of the prop to the rear of  the stern Rolling Eyes then cut down a short prop shaft to act as a sleeve for the rudder shaft and tacked it in place 

So that was most of todays work along with timber infill in the lower hull fibre glass profile to both beef it up and where required to offer a fixing strata to fit to ...........now wether I coat all this in resin to make it more substantial is still open to question Idea

So off to the lake tomorrow  morning with "Pellew" which I renamed the French lobster / gaff rigged cutter assuming the weather holds 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Grand Banks Schooner .
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Rag & Stick-
Jump to: