TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug

Go down 
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Empty
PostSubject: Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug   Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 1:05 pm

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Dscn1759

So this is my new project. Another scratch build. It ticks a lot of boxes for me - less than 18 inches long, not too heavy, reasonable scale appearance. One thing that doesn't is that it is constructed entirely from balsa. Sad  I don't get on well with balsa Rolling Eyes
So, I will be making modifications Shocked  As far as possible I will replace balsa with liteply. Some balsa will be needed so that it can be shaped otherwise it would be a very boxy Sun tug.

The material arrived today from Leeds Model Shop - I struggled to find a supplier with the correct sizes of both balsa and liteply. Hopefully the only other thing I need to buy is a propshaft, although I may try to make my own.

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug   Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug EmptyWed Aug 26, 2020 1:07 pm

I made a start Thumbup

The keel has been cut from 3mm liteply rather than 1/8th balsa, and the 'box' that will house the motor, battery etc built. The designer claims this follows the KeilKraft principle of a box attached to a keel, then the model built around that.

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Img_2026 Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Dscn1761

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug   Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Dscn1762

I've been adding the bits that start to create the hull shape. Its quite tricky to work out how all this works. The whole plan is on one side of A3, so each element has lots of detail and extracting the shapes of some components is proving a challenge Rolling Eyes
In particular, the piece at the stern appears to be the wrong shape, or the bulkhead is too big Shocked I've still got to work that one out. The piece is only pinned at present.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug   Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:16 pm

This morning I decided to do a little light engineering Rolling Eyes  I really object to paying more for postage than the item I'm buying Shocked Shocked  I found an M2 die and tried cutting a thread on some 2mm brass rod. Not having the correct tool it was a little tricky to get it started, but I did manage to cut enough thread for the propeller. 2thumbsup
I then found some 2mm and 3mm ID brass tube to make the stuffing tube. I cut short lengths of the 2mm to make bearings in the 3mm, and soldered them in. The plastic tube covers an oiler hole.

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Dscn1763

After creating an opening in the keel for the tube I set about working out the length. Its actually rather longer than I expected, but the angle is very shallow so it has to go further to get clearance for the motor - a 140/1. I'm not sure if the brass shaft is a good idea or not, but it can be replaced with stainless steel if necessary.

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Dscn1763 Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Dscn1765

Finally for today I fitted the bulkheads to the other side of the hull.

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Dscn1766

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug   Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 12:54 pm

I have now got to the balsa Rolling Eyes  I still haven't worked out how the stern works. Why is it that build instructions never have photos/diagrams of the tricky parts? lol!
But as far as I can see, the bottom of the hull is built up from balsa so it can be shaped to a more rounded profile. Therefore I have stuck a couple of bits of 1/2 inch to the hull ready for sculpting Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes

Having just successfully offloaded 3 models via ebay, it could be that this one does not proceed to completion Shocked Shocked I now have space and funds for more interesting models. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Dscn1767
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug   Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 12:41 pm

I have still not worked out how this hull should be put together. Embarassed So I am trying to do it my way - but that isn't going very well. I am nearly at the point of having to cut the deck from 2mm liteply and don't want to do that if I am not able to complete the build. So far I have concentrated on getting one side of the hull into some sort of shape, and I will give it one more day. If it is not going well then, it will be binned before wasting any more material ( and money).
I have sold 4 boats on ebay this week so now have space, and funds, to buy more 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug Img_2028
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug   Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 9:55 am

This project will be shelved for now. It might go in the bin, or I could resurrect it eventually. It requires a lot of sanding and at the moment my nose is over sensitive to dust and I don't fancy spending all day in a full face mask.

Watch for my next project!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Sunny - an "it looks a bit like a SunXXI" tug
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Active Build Blogs!-
Jump to: