TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Giacomo - a fishing boat.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Empty
PostSubject: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptySun Jul 12, 2020 1:22 pm

OK - can't let Andy take over my title of most prolific builder lol!  lol!  lol!

It seems I'm getting obsessed with fishing boats. Rather its a question of looking for a plan to build and only finding this that fit my criteria. Shocked

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1680

Its a Glyn Guest plan made from Liteply. I have enough of that in stock, so the costs should be low. I removed the motor and ESC from the Ocean Racer and replaced them with brushless, so I think that all I have to buy is a propshaft and prop. Thumbup

I copied the bulkheads on my scanner/printer and stuck them to 3mm Liteply. Just have the rear deck to do, but that's too big for the scanner. All the bulkheads, stem and front deck have been cut out and had 1/4 inch balsa bearers added to strengthen the joint to the deck.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1679

The design is for a belt drive arrangement. I'm not sure if I will go with this as there is plenty of room for a traditional direct drive.

This build may get put aside as I have a bid in on a kit that I rather want to build, and I believe Billings' 1/60th Andrea Gail will be available again in August.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyMon Jul 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1681

The rear deck has been cut out, and all the bulkheads stuck to the respective decks. The next job is to check all the stringer notches to make sure they will take the stringers which are 1/4 inch square balsa - its strange working in imperial again Rolling Eyes  After that the two halves will be joined and one (the bottom) part of the five parts of the skin cut and fixed to add some rigidity, followed by the stringers. The plans call for 2mm liteply for the skins, but I think I may use some 1mm birch ply. The liteply I have has a very pronounced grain, and the 1mm should be easier to bend. Shocked

No action tomorrow - I have a most important appointment - with my barber Rolling Eyes  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Yesterday, despite my barbers appointment, I managed to glue the two halves of the hull together. That gave it 24 hours for the glue to harden before I attempted to fit the stringers. These are 6mm balsa so fairly rigid. Despite cutting slots I still managed to snap one of them. As I only had just sufficient material, I had to splice the broken one. Of course, I should have soaked them in hot water BEFORE trying to bend them. Embarassed  I did do so after the breakage Rolling Eyes

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1682 Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1683

Here's the break.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1684

I then turned my attention to the hull bottom. I cut this from 2 mm birch ply. It is now waiting for the glue to set hard. The remaining four hull panels will be cut from 1 mm birch ply. The original used 2 mm liteply, but I don't have enough of that, and the birch ply has a better surface. I think it will also be easier to bend to the shape required.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1686 Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1685

Before adding the next panels, I will cut holes for the prop-shaft and rudder. I am going to modify the design somewhat. The plans show the rudder coming up through the deck and the linkage and tiller above deck. I intend to cut another hatch in the rear deck to allow me to have the tiller and linkages below deck. I will also modify bulkhead 4 to allow me to mount the servo and route the linkages.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
T33CNO
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyThu Jul 16, 2020 2:22 pm

barriew wrote:
OK - can't let Andy take over my title of most prolific builder lol!  lol!  lol!

Shocked   Basketball Basketball   lol!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyFri Jul 17, 2020 1:16 pm

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1687

Today I made a rudder (pretty large for the size of boat), cut a slot for the propshaft, inserted the rudder tube, cut an access hole in bulkhead 4 to allow me to mount the servo on the bulkhead, cut a hatch in the rear deck and made a fitting to take the servo. Shocked

Not too sure about the slot as I don't yet have my propshaft - I used a shorter one to get this far. I spent a lot of time trying to silver solder the rudder but had to revert to soft solder. I don't think I have enough heat for silver solder. Rolling Eyes  

Hope the shaft comes tomorrow, plus some pulleys I ordered last week. I want to complete the driveline before I fix the bottom and side skins.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Good progress this morning 2thumbsup  Both my propshaft and pulleys arrived. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

I firstly drilled a 2.5 mm hole in the boss of the small pulley and 'forced' a 3mm grub screw into it. It appears to hold, but only a test in the lake will confirm this. The 20 mm pulley has a 4 mm hole and is fixed on the propshaft between two nuts. I have used one of the bands supplied with the pulleys, but intend to source an 'O' ring. I looped some string round the pulleys to find the circumference then use a bit of dimly remembered geometry to calculate the diameter of the required ring. Shocked Shocked

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1710 Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1715

After proving the set up will work, I mixed up some P40 to fix the shaft in position. Earlier I had fixed a support for the rudder tube, and I added some P40 to that. I also filled the outside with P38.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1712 Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1713

Next job was a tiller. This was made from brass sheet and a wheel collet. I have gone for a push-pull arrangement as it is only a small servo, and  a large rudder.  lol!

Finally I strengthened the servo mount and attached it to the bulkhead with epoxy after distressing the plastic card to give the glue a grip.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1714

Having got the prop shaft installed I now need a stand!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 6:10 pm

My intention this morning was to fit the lower skins. I had already traced the shape and cut a template, and I thought that I had worked out that I could fit all 4 skins onto a sheet of 60 x 30 ply, albeit leaving the upper sides a little short. However when I came to lay them out accurately for cutting I realised they wouldn't fit bounce bounce bounce Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I can get the two lowers ones and one side. So off to the CMB web site to order more ply - no stock Shocked bounce . Try Leeds Model Shop - no stock. Tried Hobbies in Norfolk - no stock. Tried one or two other suppliers, but the postage was more than the ply Rolling Eyes
Finally found a supplier so have ordered another sheet. I did think of ordering 30 x 90, but again no stock. Hopefully this will arrive by Wednesday.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1716

I did manage to make a stand out of 6mm ply. Just needs staining and varnishing. It may also need feet as my measurements were a little out, and the rudder is only just clear of the desk.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyTue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1717

I've started fitting the skins. Despite cutting a card template, it still was not easy to get it to fit. This is currently only glued along the keel line.
Have you noticed that when faced with tricky gluing job you never have just the right style of clamp, or enough of any clamps that are almost right for the job Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes lol!
When completed I will have to either strengthen the joints from the inside, or cover the hull with glass tissue and resin.

My new timber supplies arrived today, so I can carry on at the speed the drying glue allows me. Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Hull bottom side 1 now completely stuck and trimmed. Side 2 stuck at the keel only. Once that is dry and the chine edge stuck to the stringer I will add glass tissue and resin to the inside of all the joints I can reach. If I do this I hope I wont need to cover the outside.

I have cut the template for the hull sides, but want to deal with the insides first and also remove the propshaft to add some grease whilst I have good access to the inboard end. I have cut two side pieces to make the skeg which runs from bulkhead 2 to the end of the prop shaft.

Barrie

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1718
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 1:59 pm

A bit of a frustrating day today Rolling Eyes bounce
I set out to grease the prop shaft before access to the inboard end became more difficult. This is a slimline tube from Caldercraft, and I obviously put in too much grease Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  I could barely turn it. Spent time getting out as much as possible be adding light oil and WD40. I think I have now freed it enough. To remove the shaft I had to remove the pulley, and securing it between the two nuts was difficult as I don't have a spanner for the nuts fitted to the tube. The are not standard M4. The smallest spanner I have is 6mm, a 5BA sort of fits, buts the nut is brass so damages easily.
I also discovered that my attempt to fix the small pully to the motor shaft wasn't working bounce bounce  I found some thick walled brass tube which is a tight fit on the pulley hub so have ordered as M3 tap and some long grub screws. Together with a set of M3 to M5 spanners it has been an expensive day Shocked Shocked

I did glue the second hull bottom to the stringers, and have cut out the first of the two hull sides. I also found that I will need to use the P38 to sort out problems at the bow. Embarassed

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1719

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 12:48 pm

After trimming the second bottom panel, I attended to the shape of the bows -  its not as bad as I thought Thumbup
I have treated the inside with EzeKote, and applied some glass tissue to the joints. I couldn't get into the bow compartment with the tissue, so have used P40 to seal and strengthen the joints. I am never happy when there is a sealed section underwater Cool

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1722 Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1721

A little work with some P38 and knifing filler has the bows looking better - still a little work needed. I have added some balsa strips to the stem to give a larger gluing area for the side skins - again its the sealed space and I want to make sure it is watertight.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1720

I will have to move onto the superstructure next as until I can finalise the driveline I don't want to reduce my access Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 12:53 pm

I gave the underside two coats of EzeKote today before moving onto the superstructure. I am making this in 1mm plasticard rather than liteply as it is easier to get a good finish Rolling Eyes  Having traced the outline from the plan and offered the side up to the model I discovered a discrepancy in the plan Shocked Shocked bounce bounce
Using the outline from the plan, the front of the cabin is approximately 1cm too far forward. bounce bounce
I had two options - shorten the cabin, or move the cabin cut-out in the deck. I chose the latter.
Having sorted this problem I then added coamings to the openings - just the curved section to steam then fix.

Barrie

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1723

There isn't a gap under the coaming - you are seeing the chine stringer Thumbup Had me worried for a moment when I looked at the photo lol!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 1:15 pm

My plan this morning was to drill and tap the small pulley to ensure a good fit on the motor shaft. I ordered an M3 tap and some 6mm M3 grub screws which came last week. When I came to remove the pulley from the motor it was firmly fixed - I had to lever it off. Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked  I tested it and it took quite a bit of pressure on the propshaft to make it slip. So now I am not sure whether to go ahead and try to tap it. If I fail then maybe it wont still grip as well as it does now scratch  Shocked

While I thought about it, I continued work on the Cabin. The front, curved, coaming was glued with CA, then windows were cut in the front and sides. I will probably use tinted 'glass', but I thought they would look better than black vinyl stuck on. There is still a former to fit at the top of the cabin to maintain the correct shape, and lots of edges to trim.

Barrie

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1724

Roadrunner likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyTue Jul 28, 2020 12:31 pm

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1726

A few more pieces added to the cabin.
I then decided to try to thread the small pulley to take a grub screw. I drilled a 2.5mm hole and used the M4 Bottom Tap to put a thread in the brass collar and the plastic hub. This appears to have worked 2thumbsup  I wont know for sure until I get it into the water. The 6mm grub screws I bought were too long and fouled the motor fixing screws, so its back to a standard version. It would be better if I can find a 4mm long screw.
I then cut out the second side panel and proceeded to fix the first side.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1725

As usual not enough clamps Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyTue Jul 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Excellent progress again on your projects Barrie! One day one day I will be allowed back to the workshop!!!! But till then I thank you for keeping my boat building entertainment consistent!

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyTue Jul 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Aron - happy to oblige, but not sure I will start anther blog. I notice Andy (T33CNO) has stopped posting his progress on here. With no reaction it doesn't seem worth posting. Only yourself and Davitjt have commented.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyTue Jul 28, 2020 9:46 pm

Don't stop posting build blogs i love them I admit I don't post much but you are your own worst enemy apart from giving a bit of praise to you,your explanations and photos tell everything you need so there's few questions to ask Very Happy I'm slowly getting the gear around me for my first wooden build and need these for help and guidance.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyWed Jul 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1727

Side two was fitted this morning. I also started trimming side one but was unable to complete it because of clamps and tape holding side two. Rolling Eyes
I also drilled and tapped a second hole in the small pulley. This is now quite firm - I can't pull it off the shaft. I have some 4mm screws on order which should allow me to tighten them even more as threads will remain in the brass.
Final job was to trim some joints on the cabin, add a strengthening piece, and cut the roof - which is actually the floor of a flying bridge.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyThu Jul 30, 2020 12:54 pm

I had to join the queue at the tip this morning Shocked so i was a little late starting modelling Crying or Very sad

I finished trimming the two side where they join the bottom panels. I added a little filler here and there. For some reason the bulwarks on the two sides were different heights - not sure how this is as the hull seems square to me. However, one side was trimmed using my small plane. I then cut a panel for the transom and fitted it - needs trimming when the glue is set.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1728

Next challenge is how to fit a stem using 1/2" x 1/4" timber when the bows are pointed. This is of course glossed over on the plans (no plan view) and the instructions. I have started by planing and sanding back the point.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1729

This stem has to join up with a keel made from the same material which incorporates the skeg around the prop shaft.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyFri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 am

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1730

Two rubbing strips and one half of a skeg fitted this morning. I used epoxy for the skeg as the panel had been treated with resin and I wasn't sure if aliphatic would stick to it. That means a longer setting time so only one half fitted. If the glue has set, I'll add the other side this afternoon.

I also sawed a large number of cuts into the underside of the skeg to help it bend. After a long soak in hot water I think it will go. Thumbup Finally i glued the roof of the cabin in place ready to build the flying bridge.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1731

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyFri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 pm

When working from plans what's best practice for marking out & cutting out? from model aircraft days it's place the plan over the balsa mark thro with pins draw round marks and cut out or my favourite trace from the plan mark out onto suitable drafting card (cornflake box) to make a template and use that to cut out from sheet. I've got the ply the balsa the glue but not the method.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyFri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi SWAB - I use the second method - trace and make template. If you're using ply rather than balsa you can sometimes skip the template and transfer the tracing direct to the wood. Balsa is a bit too soft for this I find. Also with boats you quite often find regular shaped parts which can be measured then marked out on the wood or plastic. Of course the template allows you to check that it will fit Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Today I stuck the keel to the skeg and the hull. I did it in two stages - wood glue to stick to the skeg, when that had set I used epoxy to stick the remainder to the hull. I'm not sure if I got the bow end down to the deck. There was no way of using clamps to hold it, so I just have to hope all the tape will have done the job Shocked

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1732

As I mixed too much epoxy I decided to bit some stripwood inside the bulwarks instead of a capping rail. The rear part of the hull will have another piece on the outside.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1735

I then cut the sides for the flying bridge and glued them in place. Just a 'dashboard' to cut and fit for the wheel and throttle.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1733

And this is how it looks now

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1734

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 1:14 pm

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1736

As you can see I didn't get the front of the keel tight enough bounce . This will have to be filled Shocked Otherwise it has stuck pretty well. The Stem has been fitted and trimmed since I took these photos. It is ready for filling tomorrow.

I have continued fitting rubbing strips, and finished the internal strips to the bows. The original had another strip below the full length strip and verticals between the two. These were painted black. Not fancying all that masking, or fiddly painting, I thought I would use mahogany which could be applied after painting the hull, then varnished. Unfortunately I don't have any suitable wood, so at the moment I am thinikin I will leave off this detail.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1738

On the flying bridge I have made and fitted a shelf for the controls and wheel.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1737

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyMon Aug 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1739

The hole has been filled Thumbup  The rear of the skeg has been filled in with some ply - just needs a final tidy of the filler.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1740

It does unfortunately show something is out of alignment Embarassed

Other minor filling has been completed and so the next job will be to clean off the dust and then apply some resin to the whole of the outside prior to painting. There are freeing ports to cut but I may wait until after applying the resin.
I hope to be sailing tomorrow so no updates for a day or so.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 12:48 pm

The whole model received some EzeKote this morning - 1 coat inside, two coats outside. Following this the upper hull was masked off and the underside spayed with Red Primer. The can ran out just as I finished, which is lucky as the nearest Halfords is 20 miles away.

I need a rattle can of white gloss, but hopefully my local hardware shop will have it, or Homebase is only about 8 miles away.

Barrie

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1741
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 6:49 pm

Being a true Yorkshireman, I wasn't keen on spending money on petrol to buy a can of paint, so I had a think Shocked  In my garage I have some satin finish Dulux brilliant white paint. Maybe I could use that. Rolling Eyes  Glyn Guest actually says in the build article for Giacomo that he used domestic paint.
Trying it straight from the tin it was quite difficult to spread, so I added water Shocked  After that it went on very nicely and I managed two coats during the morning. I am not quite sure that it is good enough - I remember this paint isn't very opaque and need a good undercoat Embarassed  Too late for that lol!

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1742

Between coats of paint I turned my attention to the electrics. I cut and sealed with resin a piece of 3mm liteply to fit over the propshaft. This will take the battery - a 7.4 volt LiPo, the receiver and the ESC. This is not yet fixed in place - I will probably use silicone so that I can remove it if I wish. The switch on these ESCs appears to cut all power so a separate switch is not required. I probably should fit a fuse however.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1743

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyFri Aug 07, 2020 2:00 pm

After cutting the freeing ports, I gave the hull two more coats of white paint. I am reasonably happy now Thumbup  I also painted the cabin with the same paint and that has covered OK, but of course it was white on white Rolling Eyes

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1745

I also started painting the deck - I was going to use Deck Green (Humbrol 88), but the tin was nearly empty so I used number 240 which I think is Olive Green - it doesn't appear on my Humbrol Chart Shocked It will require another coat.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1744

I can now cut some windows and fit them. The cabin decks want painting, and there are some items to add. However - if the heatwave continues all next week as forecast, not much will get done. bounce

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptySat Aug 08, 2020 11:34 am

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1746

I decided I wasn't happy with the all white appearance so I have painted the bulwark capping and the rubbing strip. Its deliberately a bit washed out. Also re-coated the decks and interior bulwraks before the heat got to me Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Giacomo - a fishing boat.   Giacomo - a fishing boat. EmptyYesterday at 12:28 pm

After some minor touching up on the hull, I turned to the superstructure. I made some doors - to the wheelhouse and for some storage lockers. I also started to fit the windows ... then I remembered that I needed to give it another coat or two paint Embarassed Embarassed  So I had to mask out the windows.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1747

After a few more coats of paint, the masking was removed and the windows cleaned up. I need to make some window frames. Do I do it the hard way using mahogany strip, or the easy way using my vinyl cutter to cut some brown vinyl? Given my inability to cut wood straight I think it will be the vinyl Shocked  Shocked

I then masked up ready to paint the 'decks' of the superstructure. These have had only one coat so far and the masking is still in place on this photo.

Giacomo - a fishing boat. Dscn1749

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Giacomo - a fishing boat.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Active Build Blogs!-
Jump to: