TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

TheRcModelBoatForum.com

A Forum For Modelers By Modelers.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Empty
PostSubject: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 5:37 pm

i'm having a little break until after the Blackpool show.

I am waiting for Adam at Mountfleet Models to bring me a set of mouldings for the 1;12 scale Tyne Class lifeboat which I will be building as the Fleetwood lifeboat William Street, 47-038.

but as usual I have dropped myself in it, and whilst talking to a gentleman at the 1940's Lytham St Annes 1940's classic rally in the lifeboat museum, I think I have dropped myself in it for building a model of the pulling/sailing lifeboat, a 35' Liverpool class lifeboat, now under restoration, the Blackpool lifeboat Samuel Fletcher, but I think i'll build two of them at the same time and call mine after the Hilbre Island RNLI boat Chapman...…….detail will be relatively easy as the boat is now a display boat at Lytham museum on the green……….

I am building mine as that boat because she served at Cromer for a short while and Henry Blogg, my hero served on her in the early part of the last century.

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Samuel10

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Samuel11

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Samuel12

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Willia12

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Willia10

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Willia11

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Willia14

and the last sad sight..……..the William street finally leaving Fleetwood for the last time pale silent 

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Willia13

so, two totally different builds from opposite ends of the spectrum,  but one I think i'll enjoy...…...

so look out for them this coming October/November.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
Damien

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Look forward to this build matey.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 9:56 pm

the first leap forward has been made, and I didn't expect it so soon.

today I received a nice long box from my good friend Dave Metcalf, and that could only mean one thing...……..a box with hulls in it, so eagerly opening it, I found two beautifully moulded Liverpool class hulls and their end boxes.

the hulls are ones that we generated when I was designing the twin screw motor Liverpool class lifeboat, that Dave is  developing slowly for release as a kit sometime in the future.

but it is as near as damn it to the old 35' pulling and sailing lifeboat that I want to build, and so is what I will use.

I now have to go to see the actual Samuel fletcher being restored in a factory workshop in Fleetwood to get some photos of her decks, thwarts and such things so that I can build [ no plans available] to as close as I can.

I am looking forward to building them [one to be presented to the Lytham St Annes lifeboat museum when finished, the other one depending on whether she was fitted with motor before she left lifeboat service will be either a pulling/sailing boat or a motor sailor.

how ever I have a couple of jobs to do in the workshop before I start, and that will include researching the motor situation.

so until then...…...here's a couple of pictures to compare the Liverpool's with the Shannon for size...……….think what they'd look like against a Severn.

by the way, before anyone says anything, the Samuel Fletcher was/is a 36' Watson, not a Liverpool...……...but the Liverpool is close enough for my liking, and sod anyone who doesn't lol. 

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2811

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2810

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2812

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2813

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2814

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2817

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2816

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2815
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 10:24 pm

nhp651 wrote:
I could prolong my lust for "scratch" building another classic lifeboat NO longer, and so took the first steps to get the boat rolling yesterday, by asking my friend Rob Baines, who is involved heavily in the restoration project of Fleetwood's old lifeboat RNLB Ann Letitia Russell, if he had any photos of the old motor sailor Sir Fitzroy Clayton.

Not only did he come up with photos of her and similar boats, but also plans of the boat, which I am going to have enlarged to 1;12 scale at my local print shop next week.

however, in the meantime I have marked out the aperture in the "deadwood" of the keel to take the propeller and shaft, plus also where I have to fill in part of the twin tunnels on the outer edges to make the boat a single tunnelled lifeboat.

the static pulling/sailing lifeboat for the museum will of course just have both tunnels filled in to the appropriate levels and contours.

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. New_pr11

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. New_pr12

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. New_pr10

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. New_pr14

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. New_pr15

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. New_pr13

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2910

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2818

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2911

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2912
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
Damien

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 12:48 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup I'm looking forward to this build Neil.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 am

I hope I don't disappoint, my friend.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 am

first job was today, to cut out the hole in the keels' "deadwood" for the single propeller, and to make a wooden insert to both fill the void of the curve of the upper tunnel with a timber insert.

I cut the holes both port n starboard in the grp in my usual way.....drilling and reaming out and then took a piece of 3mm ply to act as a template before transferring to a piece of 6mm ply...……

then I was interrupted by my daughter with a problem which needed sorting out. so play stopped for the day.

it will resume tomorrow. 

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2913

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2914

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2915

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2916

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2917

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2918

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2921

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2919

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2920
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 pm

when i'm not constrained by parts I haven't a clue as to where they go without instructions and constant visits to two different lifeboat stations to find out that info, I am actually quicker scratch building.

I have been filling in the propeller recess, with both timber [ ply and obeche' in this case] and polyester filler. I have angled the propeller tube in this case to fit a motor. I also put a small platform on top of the propeller tunnels to take a rudder servo and receiver for the R/C.
then, once set I sanded out the recess to a relatively smooth surface, which I will fill and then sand tomorrow..

I have also marked with masking tape where I will fill the tunnels on the pulling sailing boat, as on this model......there's no prop to save the heroes from an arduous back breaking row to the casualty....

both tunnels on both boats will be filled tomorrow where appropriate with both foam and filler. watch this space. 

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. 20190910

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. 20190911

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. 20190912

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2922

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2924

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2923

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2925

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2927

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2926

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2929
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 5:46 pm

this afternoon I took my daughter's memory stich that she had downloaded the plans on to that I showed on the first post.
the print shop is THEE print shop to go to. I think every business and guest house in Blackpool take their stuff to when they need printing. they are brilliant.
the shop was able, from the small down load that I supplied to enlarge the copy to EXACTLY 927 mm, the length of the hull from stem to stern.....the guys and girls in there are just so helpful and really take an interest in what you are doing.
the shop, for anyone wanting to get some when they come up to the Blackpool show is called Granthams, of Charnley road, and I cannot emphasise just how good they are.

https://granthams.co.uk/pages/blackpool

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2932

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2930

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2931
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm

TWO into ONE and two into none DO GO!!

With the help of a little high impact foam to bulk out the tunnels

I have filled in to make the motor sailor a single tunnelled boat, and the pulling/sailing boat into a NO tunnelled boat........
all in rough state at the moment whilst the filler cures and then mucho sanding, lol.
NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2933

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2934

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2935

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2936

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2937

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2938

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2939

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2940

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2941

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_2942
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptyTue Sep 17, 2019 5:58 pm

first layers of filler have been sanded off, [of which I forgot to take photos], for the second layer to be added to fill in any "lows" in the original layer.

once this layer has cured tomorrow I'll sand off and any small vagaries  I will fill with surface scratch filler compound before sanding them with fine paper.

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_0100

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_0101

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Img_0102
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
Damien

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. EmptyYesterday at 3:45 am

Wowzers 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.   NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way. Empty

Back to top Go down

NEW LIFEBOAT BUILDS......on the way.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories :: Lifeboats-
Jump to: