TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

TheRcModelBoatForum.com

A Forum For Modelers By Modelers.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site

Go down 
AuthorMessage
derekwarner_decoy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
derekwarner_decoy

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site Empty
PostSubject: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi Neil......I have searched scratch , however not found an option Rule box to display the last posts first [at the top of the page], and subsequent or earlier posts following etc....and have this Rule for all threads in all folders 

I do this with all my chosen WEB sites [say 12 on my home page...RCMB is on the very bottom row cheers ]

For me, I find it easier to follow a thread....then down to earlier postings as required

I do use the option of showing new posts since last visit ....this is a great option 

Derek  study

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site P1170612
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 5:34 pm

yes, I like that option on Ships Nostalgia and See The Ships...………..

send a pm to Aron, or an email, as he gets to them more readily than reading the threads...….as he's very busy at the moment.
Back to top Go down
derekwarner_decoy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
derekwarner_decoy

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Neil....will do, but who is Aron/Aaron when he is at home?    scratch .....Derek
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 pm

derekwarner_decoy wrote:
Neil....will do, but who is Aron/Aaron when he is at home?    scratch .....Derek

the owner and administrator of the site, Roadrunner. 
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 10:55 pm

You guys mean this ....

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site 6cb91710

Displays all messages since last visit with the newest first...

Also on pages and threads you like you can click the link “follow this thread” and revive an email when a new entry is posted.

Aron

troutrunner
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Aron, I think what Derek means is that in every thread the posts are viewed in reverse order, being that the most recent post in each thread is at the top of each page and not at the bottom. This option is in some other forums that I visit such as the "Land Rover Series 2 club", this may need adding from within the depths of the forum that only you have access to, it will appear as an individual option for each member to choose for themselves and only those opting in would see it that way.

I hope this helps, Paul.
Back to top Go down
derekwarner_decoy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
derekwarner_decoy

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks Paul.....would appear obvious, however it is a poor show when one ADMIN suggests I contact another ADMIN.... scratch .....

Today I visited a wood merchant & asked what stock they had in 12 mm thick 1/4 sawn timber
The response was we only sell wood by width x thickness and by what ever length it comes in
We don't have any 1/4 type pieces  Sleep

[I certainly hope she was not one of Neil's students from his Woodwork teaching days in Canberra] 

Will await the Administrators response......... 

Derek
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Derek

There's only one Administrator - Roadrunner. We Moderators don't have access to the 'engine' of the Forum. I have searched diligently for a user settable parameter to do what you want, but I can't find one in this Forum software. The only possibility is if RR can find a parameter in the parts of the set-up only he has access to. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
derekwarner_decoy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
derekwarner_decoy

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks Barrie.......it's no where near life threatening  Sleep ...just saw the phpBB as the generator so assumed it would be an easy option......Derek
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 1:03 am

Yup it is an easy option to fix but as pointed out I’m the sole admin with access to the forums main system, the moderators are simply that moderators of the forum freeing me up for family.. 5 kids and not always time for hobbies... so they pass on issues when they crop up and I fix them when I have the time, Neil was correct in suggesting contacting me directly as I don’t check the forum on a daily basis, however all direct messages to me go straight to my phone where I’m able to pick up any issues quickly and resolve... sadly work and a large family leave me with late night checks while doing a 1 or 2am baby feed like this..

I do ask for your understanding in matters regarding the forum layout, and ask not to compare to other forums your used to and note that the forum has now run this way for the past 6+years without this particular issue cropping up...

Again I will look into the matter...

Aron

derekwarner_decoy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
derekwarner_decoy

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 1:57 am

Hi Aron...I don't think we met on any Forum, but have know Neil on various mediums for near on 100 years

When he suggested contacting Aron.......I didn't really know who you were or that Aron was Roadrunner 

Both he & I have spent time in an on line Sin Bin for speaking honestly, truly & frankly.... unjustly is also another term 

With Neil spending some years in our Capital Canberra, teaching our youngsters about wood dust lol! ....this gave him an understanding of our way of life.......[like we would not consider it odd to drive 100 miles to have lunch....then drive back home] 

I see a few members here that I consider as being given a short fuse cherry possibly at berth .....[I do not consider myself in that category at all]

Any revision you make with the database format will I am sure be appreciated by all however in the intrem I will not loose any   Sleep 

I can open 'new messages' in RCMB as a good way to start each day with all of my other model boating/steam WEB sites
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm

just as a matter of interest, as I'm sure it would be to all, Derek, wehat are you building at the moment old friend.

I do wish you would share with us......and hopefully in just under 4 years if we are stull above the sod, and not under it......i'm bringing the girls out for a month after they finish uni.

got a friend I shared a house with for 18 months in Canberra coming over next month for a holiday so we are meeting up for a few beers...………..

going to treat him top some good old strong English  beer, ……….oh and a black pudding and haggis, lol...…..you antipodeans need to savour the finer things in life, lol.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 3:08 pm

After looking through this “issue” I’ve realised there is no need for any changes.. it makes no sense to have last post first in any topics, much like a book you start with first page and first entry...

Now what many haven’t spotted is the function to view the last post in ANY TOPIC allowing u to scroll up the page for the last few entry’s that button is a white page in every topic that’s updated with an arrow pointing right st it, clicking that will take you directly to the last post in that topic ...

That works for every single thread / topic in the forum even if it’s not one from the “ view posts since last visit”

This button has been there since day one of the forum opening....

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site Adcf6a10

This should close this matter as it resolves the issue entirely.

Aron

raaartygunner
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 pm

derekwarner_decoy wrote:
Thanks Paul.....would appear obvious, however it is a poor show when one ADMIN suggests I contact another ADMIN.... scratch .....

Today I visited a wood merchant & asked what stock they had in 12 mm thick 1/4 sawn timber
The response was we only sell wood by width x thickness and by what ever length it comes in
We don't have any 1/4 type pieces  Sleep

[I certainly hope she was not one of Neil's students from his Woodwork teaching days in Canberra] 

Will await the Administrators response......... 

Derek

Ah, The mind boggles had you asked for backsawn timber

Alas such things are of the past and no longer taught or even available.
Back to top Go down
raaartygunner
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
After looking through this “issue” I’ve realised there is no need for any changes.. it makes no sense to have last post first in any topics, much like a book you start with first page and first entry...

Now what many haven’t spotted is the function to view the last post in ANY TOPIC allowing u to scroll up the page for the last few entry’s that button is a white page in every topic that’s updated with an arrow pointing right st it, clicking that will take you directly to the last post in that topic ...

That works for every single thread / topic in the forum even if it’s not one from the “ view posts since last visit”

This button has been there since day one of the forum opening....

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site Adcf6a10

This should close this matter as it resolves the issue entirely.

Aron

Because I don't know how to just post a reply to a topic I am using the "quote" function. So any info on how to just post a reply to any topic is appreciated. Thank you.

OK. Not intending to start WWIII and acknowledging the owners and Admins rights and decisions, I for one see the benefit of having last post first on any thread.

Forums are not books so book rules don't apply, emails are a better example. For instance when you reply to emails your response or the latest reply is at the top and you read down for what was before. Saves reading everything before which may be not pertinent.

Same with a forum, visitors may be being put off joining/posting etc if they need to wade through pages of stuff to see if any interesting/useful information is contained in the thread. Yes other forums do it that way, last post first and whilst I haven't checked are they in the main.

People are lazy and we should always apply KISS principle when dealing with them.

Your decision it is and we can read up or down after all we are used to that being down under lol! lol! 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 1:56 am

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site 00225610

Base of topic( last post), bottom left corner big button says reply, this allows you to reply with out using quotes.

As for all things upside down and backwards....

If I looked at the forum in a manner of a new member, they are looking at a topic/build log they would like to see how the project began in order...

Now again we cannot compare the forum to an email system, yes those are displayed recent first, but that is a system where the new things are at the top, a forum especially blogs and I stick to my guns when I say this, are very much like books... you have a start page 1 and and end page # with the posts in order

Now many other forums I frequent also display in the same order as here... Including mayhem to name at least one we can all relate too. I really see no reason to change anything on the forum in regards to I. Which order post should be which can make things very confusing, as my past reply stated there is a very acceptable means to check the last post of a thread/topic, one again almost every forum I use or have an interest in also uses... we also have a portal.. which shows the last posts of threads...

I have been at a bit of a head scratch that the forums run since 2011 so 8 years now and this is the first time this “issue” has cropped up... it’s not plagued anyone in years until this week ... now I cannot stress enough that comparing a forum to an email, Facebook, Twitter feeds, Instagram etc etc etc is not way a forum needs to run, there is of course progression within any system of communication and blogging however the forum itself doesn’t have to follow trends...

Now of course for those insistent this is the way they want to see things... get ya phones out because I have fixed that too...

The forum also runs on an app based modern system ( not something I personally enjoy using, in a old fashioned pc person when it comes to html things...) but you can download an app called topic’it.. there is a direct link at the base of the forum called mobile version...

Aron

Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
Damien

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 2:25 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
raaartygunner
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 3:22 am

Thank you.

Found the rely button, Also the last post topic one,  2thumbsup  slowly I am learning.

Am confused enough without discussing apps, mobiles, etc, spacebook, jiiiitter and the like.

Have mastered? emails now to master this forum.

As they say age is but a number.
Back to top Go down
derekwarner_decoy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
derekwarner_decoy

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 6:32 am

Thanks Aron

I am quite happy opening into RCMB by "New Posts"
Generally I do not use the auto quote facility....rather copy & paste "a few words" with italics in my reply message
The Reply box button I find is also conveniently located

Just a clarification by example, the Model Boat Mayhem WEB and some others, have the facility for members to alter their viewing profile so that the most recent posting is at the top or first to see..... ...[extract of my MBM viewer profile follows]

An important point here is if I wanted to be a member of computer WEB Group & talk about computers, I would join one   affraid

Again....I am happy to use the RCMB viewing format....should I have the need to read the whole book   study  I will scroll away

Derek

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site P1170616
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 12:36 am

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site Untitl12.......

Anyone wanna vote on that change ? ...........

gribeauval
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 1:19 am

Just leave things as they were before this irrelevant and vexatious comment thread was started.

It wasn't broke so no need to fix it.

If people don't like how it is then the way out is over there.
Back to top Go down
raaartygunner
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 1:49 am

gribeauval wrote:
Just leave things as they were before this irrelevant and vexatious comment thread was started.

It wasn't broke so no need to fix it.

If people don't like how it is then the way out is over there.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
derekwarner_decoy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
derekwarner_decoy

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 3:36 am

Goodness Members.....

I had no idea my questions were considered irrelevant and vexatious. Accordingly as suggested, I would ask a Moderator to cancel my membership to RC:MB...I will now delete the link from my end

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
Damien

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 5:49 am

You're welcome to stay if you wish Derek however as a long standing forum there's zero need to change.

Damien. moderator
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 8:26 am

I’ve got no issues with that.... done....

You have started some drama over something silly that only you wanted changed...

You can’t get your own way... you whined....

I have 5 kids..... they get the same attitude... I don’t care!

I have tried to offer you other options to aid your use of the forum...

You have rejected thos....

I have politely tried to communicate with you about YOUR issues....

You seam bent on trying to rattle me with it.... congratulations... it comes with a life time ban and zero fucks given.

It’s sad that another member had to tell you how childish this was.... for an adult I expect better.

Enjoy retirement... just not here...

One very annoyed admin who you have agrovated for the last 3 days...

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site   View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site Empty

Back to top Go down

View Last Post first - for the entire WEB site
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: New? Start Here :: Forum Rule's, Site Help & Announcements-
Jump to: