TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

TheRcModelBoatForum.com

A Forum For Modelers By Modelers.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Shannon Build

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 am

You're really motoring now Neil. I guess you've got over your injury 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:20 am

barriew wrote:
You're really motoring now Neil. I guess you've got over your injury 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
not yet mate...……….I am supposed to be doing physio on my leg, but when I do it hurts more than the  leg did so decided the best physio was to hobble around and get off my ass...…….instead of just sitting there and moaning about it.....worked wonders...…..transferred the cutting board into the back room where its nice and warm...…...and have made almost all the parts that are on view through the cabin windows...…..and once the soldering is done, just a few grab rails to do and then I can paint all the interior in their respective colours and then glue it all in ready for fixing into the cabin oce that has been done...….

but it has given me the inspiration to get on with the boat instead of loafing around n doing sod all and feeling miserable, as I do most winters.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm

fifteen minutes to set up and jig the inner rails  and hearth and literally 4 mins 17 seconds to silver solder the 3 joints together......who says silver soldering is hard...…..

.the only hard thing about this type of soldering compared with soft solder...…….silver soldered joints in our  particular hobby will never break, unlike soft soldered joints. 

Back to top Go down
alw
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:31 am

If you need details for any part of a Shannon build, then the 3D virtual tour of 13-09 is incredibly helpful....   https://www.panopticmotion.co.uk/virtual-tour/ilfracombe-rnli-virtual-tour/
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:47 pm

thanks for that link alw……………….I've just seen your post………...been busy this morning taking an old gas built in oven out and putting a new electric one in and have only just got a breather before I go back and set it up with the timers etc...……..so will have a look at the link this evening...…

and don't worry folks for my safety and gas...…...the connector was a simple sprung bayonet self sealer connection that gassafe engineers put in a few years ago,,,,,,I just had to push, turn and put the connector from the cooker to release it all.....

but I did light a match to see what I was doing and make sure there was no leaks...……..better safe than sorry drunken  scratch confused affraid
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:21 pm

nhp651 wrote:
thanks for that link alw……………….I've just seen your post………...been busy this morning taking an old gas built in oven out and putting a new electric one in and have only just got a breather before I go back and set it up with the timers etc...……..so will have a look at the link this evening...…

and don't worry folks for my safety and gas...…...the connector was a simple sprung bayonet self sealer connection that gassafe engineers put in a few years ago,,,,,,I just had to push, turn and put the connector from the cooker to release it all.....

but I did light a match to see what I was doing and make sure there was no leaks...……..better safe than sorry drunken  scratch confused affraid
Hell that could have been a drastic way of getting your hair cut shorter mate! Just waiting to see what your lecktrickery do later on in the build lol bom cherry bounce
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:38 pm

alw wrote:
If you need details for any part of a Shannon build, then the 3D virtual tour of 13-09 is incredibly helpful....   https://www.panopticmotion.co.uk/virtual-tour/ilfracombe-rnli-virtual-tour/

just had a look at the site, alw………...and as you say incredibly helpful...…..won't need to go down to Fleetwood boat again....it cockpit interior is from the photos I took down at Fleetwood identical to Fleetwood's boat...….in many ways...…..just a few little deviations...….which are probably personal to each crew's positions...…...left and right handed operations and such...……..but I think I'll call it almost a day, with just a few small additions...……

I suppose there is only so much a viewer can see through a cabin window before they poke their eye out on a whip areal,
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 pm

I decided some time ago that I was going to make the interior cabin and tray to be removeable, for if any thing came loose at a later date when adhesives tend to dry out and things fall over/off...………

and so I decided that it could be held, fore and aft by a simple bracket at the bow which will allow a screw to secure into a block of obeche, and at the stern, a bar of 2.8mm ply crossing the stern of the tray on the underside, screwing into two blocks glued into the sides of the superstructure...……..these were fixed in place using 30minute two part epoxy ZAP glue.

whilst at it I cut and glued into the beams  to fit a dropped false roof to the cabin to hide some of the lighting wiring.

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:56 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 pm

and the panels for the false roof have now been cut and placed loosely in position.

Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:12 am

That looks pretty neat and a good fit
All coming together nicely
Mick F
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:06 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
That looks pretty neat and a good fit
All coming together nicely
Mick F

Thumbup 2thumbsup 

first coats of paint have gone onto the cabin......2 layer of filler primer...…...I'll give it two more tomorrow and then bring it indoors to harden, as the workshop is almost arctic at the moment, lol.

I also took a trip to one of my local lifeboat stations that house a Shannon, and asked the mechanic what actual colour the antifouling is on the boat...…...he gave me a small tin of the paint that was 2/3 used to either thin with cellulose thinners and spray or have it colour matched at a paint suppliers...……..looks like a trip to Halfords in the near future is called for. 

Back to top Go down
alw
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:39 pm

On real boats this anti-foul paint appears as different shades when patched on station and none of them are "Black" as such.

When tested up against the Llandudno Shannon ( 13-18 ) the best match is Anthracite Grey - RAL 7016  which can be mixed by most body paint suppliers
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:13 pm

yehwhen I spoke to my mechanic friend today, they have to touch up virtually every time she beaches, unlike the water based boat at Fleetwood which comes out every few months for a bum scrape...…..but they all get a respray on their annual service of the antifouling to make them pristine again...……….sadly at poole or other service yards such things as rust on the windscreen wipers and other minor defects are overlooked......not as well kept i'm afraid as the older wooden boats .they are these days just a tool for efficient and fast lifesaving, not  thing of beauty.
Back to top Go down
alw
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Those patches on 13-18 have been there for over 21 months now and no sign of a repaint.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:17 pm

alw wrote:
Those patches on 13-18 have been there for over 21 months now and no sign of a repaint.

it should be done every yearly service and out of water inspection.....ours is at fleetwood, and st annes is due for hers in February...….she's been on station since this January.

other wise it gets between the paint and the toughened coating of the skid panel and can in theory com,e off in lumps.....

straight from both the st annes mechanic, and Fleetwood mechanic and LOM,...……

We have one, a relief boat sat on hard standing at Fleetwood has been for 5 months, 13-07, REG. that was given an antifouling respray as soon as her hull was cleaned, and has sat there ever since...…….and still there.

Back to top Go down
alw
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:39 pm

It seems different boats have different anti-fouling paint colour schemes. Some of the early boats had white and grey.

13-04,13-07 and 13-09 have distinct grey areas at the front, yet 13-05, 13-15, 13-18 and 13-28 have one colour for the whole lower hull.

Compare 13-12 and 13-18 hulls when they were both at LLandudno for crew training....    https://www.alamy.com/stock-image-a-new-lifeboat-for-llandudno-the-rnli-shannon-class-lifeboat-the-william-161376311.html
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:52 pm

you are totally right there Andy...…..

And that is why now a days the crew goes to Poole not only for initial training, but to hone the boat and its fitments to the crew's choice………..it is not inconceivable for such rudimental items as cup holders to be changed...fire extinguisher points to be altered.....…...and joysticks to be changed for left and right handed crew, to give comfort and ease of use...……….I have been told that even the "suspension" o the sprung seats are alterable for weight of crew...………..so no two boats are alike...…...probably in a myriad of ways un noticeable to the layman, and that is why it is so much fun to the modeller to re create...…...even Fleetwood AND St Annes boats are slightly different...……..

one does the best they can with the information available to produce the boat of their choice...………...and if it is fun for them to build, and they themselves are satisfied with the result and modelled to the best of their ability...….who are we to challenge them.....

that is all what model making is all about.....self satisfaction...……...if I am happy with my model...………...who's business is it other than mine to contradict.

Last edited by nhp651 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:08 am

Indeed Neil  2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:43 pm

well!!!...……….as much as I am now beginning to enjoy this build...…………..something I haven't done until recent days have shown...…...two much beer and warmth of the house has overtaken the coolness of the garage workshop...………..and I just can't get it warm enough to get a decent finish on the paint, from previous painting in cold weather...…….and so, until the two girls have gone to college after the 7th January and I can be naughty and bring my spray sheets indoors in the warmth of the house...……..that is it till new year...……..

after all, it wouldn't do, to get overspray Volkswagon brilliant orange or Baliol Blue on the Christmas tree...………..my ex and kids would go ballistic, lol.

all the best to you all for the Christmas and new year period...……..

take care and be safe..……...and for you guys in ozz……...make the most of your summer...…...because from now on, the days are only getting shorter, lol lol! santa rendeer drunken drunken drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 pm

lol top temp's for coming week 26c today then 30, 32, 30, 36, 34, 32
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:54 am

Damien wrote:
lol top temp's for coming week 26c today then 30, 32, 30, 36, 34, 32

you making me feel jealous Damien, languishing in my damp 7c temp...…………...mind you the moon came out once it went dark and the clouds scattered.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:20 pm

well, what can I say.....…...I have been ordered by my friend Stavros to get my friend mick French's Shannon's down to him in north wales for a spray job...…….so can't go against a friends orders under any circumstances...……...so am getting the basics on the hulls, decks and cabins ready for it....

attaching some of the permanent detailing such as the engine removal plating on the cabin top of the speedline Shannon attached...……….on that point I have scored the reverse side with a rough abrasive paper, and just wondering whether to use a contact evostick adhesive, or a longer setting 2 part epoxy for the job.

next I'll be drilling holes for the radio whip aerials, spot lights, wiring etc....I have got about 2 weeks to get it ready for paining...….then the trip down the lovely coast road of north wales to Bangor and then inland to Bethesda....should be a lovely day out.

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:09 pm

I realised at some point recently that I had constructed the aft end of the cabin without really thinking of certain consequences ……...such as drilling the holes in the hinges for the main watertight door...…...before I glued the back wall in place and gluing the cabin back on to the deck..

so after a few minutes ponderance I thought ……"if I glued the drill bit into a length of brass tubing..." I could then hand drill the holes without the chuck of an electric drill chewing up any bits of bulkheads that got in the way.....………..and so this is what I did...….and my little bit of improvisation worked. 

Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: shannon Build   Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:39 pm

nhp651 wrote:
well, what can I say.....…...I have been ordered by my friend Stavros to get my friend mick French's Shannon's down to him in north wales for a spray job...…….so can't go against a friends orders under any circumstances...……...so am getting the basics on the hulls, decks and cabins ready for it....

I have got about 2 weeks to get it ready for paining...….then the trip down the lovely coast road of north wales to Bangor and then inland to Bethesda....should be a lovely day out.

what can I say? what a wonderful gesture! Thank you so much Dave (Stavros) for offering to spray our Shannons. Its great to have good friends like yourself.You just take it easy though Matey,its early days yet and those slimy trouty things will still wait! lol.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
Quote :

what can I say? what a wonderful gesture! Thank you so much Dave (Stavros) for offering to spray our Shannons. Its great to have good friends like yourself.You just take it easy though Matey,its early days yet and those slimy trouty things will still wait! lol.

aye, don't stop a man fly fishing Mick...…...that is like telling a man to give up rumpy pumpy or motorcycle riding...……...once in the blood...…….fly fishing is far more addictive than the hardest of drugs.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 pm

and the final post tonight.……..I've glued the engine removal panels onto the the cabin roof...…..this was a nickle steel etched part in 3 sections, and after scoring the reverse, I set in place using a 30 minute setting ZAP epoxy adhesive.

but before this, I re-seated and glued in place the cabin to the deck. which is removeable in one piece thus aiding clear access to the mechanicals and electricals inside the boat hull, and this is on the Speedline models kit. 

Back to top Go down
stavros
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:12 am

ARGHHHHHHHHH stop me from fly fishing heavens above how you can QUICKLY GO OFF some people....Ill let you know my Consultant encouraged me to go....and guess WHO I bumped into at the fisherey I fish ...YUP IT WASA HIM......I did a double take...MMMM no wonder he said yes HE HE HE HE....Mind you the look on Kelly's face when he said Yes was a picture.....MMMMm Weds this week bring it on 

Dave
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:50 pm

stavros wrote:
ARGHHHHHHHHH stop me from fly fishing heavens above how you can QUICKLY GO OFF some people....Ill let you know my Consultant encouraged me to go....and guess WHO I bumped into at the fisherey I fish ...YUP IT WASA HIM......I did a double take...MMMM no wonder he said yes HE HE HE HE....Mind you the look on Kelly's face when he said Yes was a picture.....MMMMm Weds this week bring it on 

Dave

most relaxing type of fishing I ever did, was fly fishing.....still got my two rods but everything else was stolen by some disreputable person I had the misfortune to have had the displeasure of knowing.
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:17 pm

nhp651 wrote:
stavros wrote:

Dave

most relaxing type of fishing I ever did, was fly fishing.....still got my two rods but everything else was stolen by some disreputable person I had the misfortune to have had the displeasure of knowing.
Love my sea angling both from shore and boat, but sadly my health has not permitted me to go for a few years now. Climbing down rocks to the good spots is now a distant memory.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:49 pm

time to experiment gently with putting the LED's into the spot/search lights.

they were drilled out both in the place where the wiring comes out of the rear of the lamp and also through the base brackey……...one lead will go through each, as not enough space through either one for 2 wires.. space was made inside the body of the light by reaming out waste resin using the good old dentist's tay…...the tooth grinder for grinding out old fillings and decayed tooth...……..I don't often use them, infact can't remember the last time I did use these handy little bits of equipment...…..but a friendly word with your orthodontist and they will gladly give you some...absolutely no need to spend a fortune on stuff that you'll only need once in a blue moon

in that way the man who wants everything can get there just a little faster, lol.

after I had reamed the back of the shell out, I drilled the base of the lamp to make sure that both wires fit properly, and then drilled for them to sit on the  fore part of the superstructure.

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:49 pm

first pictures of the new year.

next little fitting...………..the MOB (Man Overboard) derrick...….all 3 D moulded...…

just drilled with a 0.5mm bit to locate rivets to site and hold the brackets whilst gluing in place eventually.

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm

another little fitting added temporarily, to be removed before painting...…  the slip recovery bracket on the stern transom.

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 pm

its back to the models by design Shannon for a brief moment that I am building for mick French...…

when at Blackpool show last October mick and I spoke to Andy Grigg about his reversing buckets to fit onto the KMB square nozzles that mick bought from eBay for a ridiculously low price [ where am I when these bargains go begging], and Andy sold Mick the converters to turn the square outlets into round ones so that round nozzles would fit, and also sold the grp moulded reversing buckets to fit on the nozzles...…….and I took them home with me.

a couple of days later mick rang me to say that Andy had redesigned those parts, and would send direct to me after Christmas.

I received them the other day, and but for a slight change in the profile of the nozzles they are identical.

however I have worked the buckets today from this to this, and have now two sets of buckets for in the eventuality that mick is a totally useless coxs'n and reverses his boat into a stone bank and breaks a bucket or two, ………...only joking mate...……

I'll just have to work out next how o attach the holding brackets for the buckets to the transom plate.

THESE ARE THE GRP BUCKETS, WITH THE NEW NOZZLES.

This is the only difference between the two nozzles...….

and this is the reversing buckets after removing the excess fibre glass.

and now like an adventurous young lad cleaning and polishing the inlet and exhaust ports on a BSA RGS, to get an extra 1bhp out of the bike, I shall dig out my dental burrs for the second time in about 10 years and ream out the outlet ports of the grp buckets on the jet drives to give a better flow of water.through them.
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: shannon build   Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 pm

in the eventuality that mick is a totally useless coxs'n and reverses his boat into a stone bank and breaks a bucket or two, ………...only joking mate...……

Hmm Its funny you say that Lol I A truer word could maybe never have been spoken!
A certain Mr Pendlebury,and a few others methinks are of the same opinion about my helmsmanship.but I do better on the real full sized lifeboats lol.
I do remember though,a certain gentleman,while using his model at the Blackpool show a couple of years ago,and wondering why he couldnt control it.It has been said he was watching and trying to control another of his models,which was being skilfully operated by A N Other,whilst the one the certain gentleman was operating,was in the corner of the pool trying to get out lol!
Let us just say,I pledge that we will certainly NOT be operating two fast models in close proximity to each other lol
Mick F
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 pm

I  got a perfectly good explanation for that...…….there was a fine looking lass on the other side of the pool giving me the wink.....and I got confused...

what!!! you didn't see her...……...no wonder, you were too busy trying to get yer lifeboat out the way of a nutter. drunken drunken  lol! 

well back to the jets...…

a little brain teasing, but i'm getting there...…..slight modifications to the nozzle and converter flanges...they were binding upon each other when turning left/right.……..so I sanded a slight bevel on the inside rear of the nozzle all round...…….only slight sanding was needed, and then on the rear raised rim of the converter flange I sanded it also for a slight bevel...……...perfection and no binding at all...….so no strain upon the servo/arm.

so then it was on to cleaning the buckets up inside an around the inside of the jets to give a good uninterrupted flow of water to the reversing jet holes.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:11 pm

for cleaning up the grp mouldings...………..no expense spared...…..I used one of my small drills, and first used the dentists burrs to clean out the rough stuff and the ridges that would interrupt the flow quite considerably.

then I took a succession of grit burrs from my original set of minicraft burrs and drill that I bought 30 years ago and slowly cleaned up the dents and bumps, plus unifying the size of the holes with one final burr.

checking these against the Speedline jet, they are roughly 15% smaller, and so, will probably stop the boat quicker, as there will be a greater venture force coming out of the jets than on the Speedline jets...………

there ya go Mick...…..you are safe to be let loose with it...……..it'll stop just as fast as it goes...…………….knowing my luck about half a knott, lol.

but then, offering up the reversing bucket, I found that the small reset in the top of the rear side of the bucket isn't large enough for the bucket to clear the nozzle and so this has been enlarged on one bucket only, until I get the right compromise...….also I slightly sanded away the small rim at the rear and under side of the bucket.

this is a trial and error exercise which is most enjoyable.

spot the difference

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm

disaster has struck...….……..and I've chopped the wrong bits off...……………….oh bummer...…….

will reveal more when I have studied the photos that I have received and rectified my huge cock up. ………

where would life be though if you had no cock ups to learn from or own up to,hehehe....……….ego would take over, and you'd become as boring and pious as hell...…...just like some I know...……………..from  other forums,  that is. lol
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:44 pm

and before any of you smart asciendas say anything like you should have known better being a wood and metal work teacher...……..

yeh I know...….measure twice,...….or in my case as I'm so forgetful 6 times......cut once

more haste less speed.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:00 am

The price of ageing is not something we're taught to expect Matie. Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Damien wrote:
The price of ageing is not something we're taught to expect Matie. Sad Sad Sad Sad

and isn't it a real beach when you can't stop aching and doing stupid things, lol...……………..

I've just been playing with our pooch and her squeaky ball....she knocked it under the pooter desk and so I got down onto my knees and then on my belly to fish it out...……...it was so comfy on the floor I just lay there whilst I watched 12- 0 clock high on the tv...……

she got really stressed thinking I was hurt and came licking my face as though she wanted to make me feel better...…….NOW!!! that's old age mate when your little dog thinks you are unwell because you choose to lie on the floor for a few minutes...…..

and she is fine now I'm sat on my chair...…..life is strange.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:56 pm

FOR ANY OF YOU THAT ARE BUILDING A SHANNON FROM MBD [Models by Design], but like me fell foul of having no diagrams or photos of the buckets and nozzles that Andy has developed...…..here they are.

they might have been published on the members only facebook Shannon page, but I haven't a clue./…...so here the buckets and nozzles are...…….courtesy of Andy Grigg, via mick French.

and as you can see, considerably different to the cock up that I made of the first one cut...…...in fact all four that I cut wrongly.

i.e...……...I cut the legs off and cut the top of the bucket away...…….duuurrrrrhhh
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:28 pm

so!!!...….I decided to show that modelling isn't about spending more money after bad, and ringing up to buy two new ones...…...I would rectify the matter.

Firstly I recovered the top of the bucket with two layers of 0.8mm plasticard, and using super strength cyano, clamped them up and left to set overnight.

then I filled in the gaps after trimming the plasticard to shape with milliput white...…….the harder and more sandable of the milliput range- and smoothed into the gaps both inside and outside the bucket,with fingers dampened with cold water. 

this I left to cure and set on a radiator overnight.

once set, I began to replace the "legs" that I had chopped off earlier. for this I used some 1.25mm plasticard that the interior vac forming of the cabin is made from...…….I got some out of Adrian's skip 18 months ago when I went to pick the two models up.

I cut, shaped and drilled the part that was to be glued into the grp bucket, so that the drill holes would act as an anchor between the grp and the plastic, and after roughing up the plasticard, I glued the two together with 30minute setting ZAP epoxy...…..I repeated the process with the other 3 "legs", and clamped up...………...I left these to set for 12 hours or more...

once set, today I put triangular fillets in to mould around the shape of the bucket  outlets

and tonight i'll mix a little more milliput and reinforce from the inside
Back to top Go down
stavros
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 pm

I think you and me are made from the same mold,as soon as we basically bugger up, we go into self preservation mode and ALWAYS figure out a way forward...I think it is called lateral thinking or is it a case of sod this I ain't giving up....BRILLIANT recovery m8 top modeling

Dave
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:38 pm

stavros wrote:
I think you and me are made from the same mold,as soon as we basically bugger up, we go into self preservation mode and ALWAYS figure out a way forward...I think it is called lateral thinking or is it a case of sod this I ain't giving up....BRILLIANT recovery m8 top modeling

Dave
it's both those mate......plus the fact that I aint going to be beaten by an inanimate object and I ain't a quitter...….plus the fact that i'm a tight ass that believes that money isn't always the solution, and my brain is better than that...……….having said the latter I shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place, but you learn from your mistakes, and if I can save one person from making the same by publishing mine...……...then we as modellers will benefit from such cock ups.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 am

That's why my builds are warts and all, to help others with my 46yrs experience and to attempt to shame myself to not stuff up again unfortunately as I age they're more frequent and the older I get the worse the muck ups get.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Damien wrote:
That's why my builds are warts and all, to help others with my 46yrs experience and to attempt to shame myself to not stuff up again unfortunately as I age they're more frequent and the older I get the worse the muck ups get.

when I was much younger, they came with great frequency because I had little experience.....

now that I am older it is because of lack of concentration and fading memory...…….

I just wonder where and when I hit my peak...…………...is it time to give up, lol...………

or do I now believe in the old saying...……….."I've forgotten more than some will ever know"...……. lol! lol! drunken drunken Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm

the buckets have now been repaired, filled and shaped...…..ready for now fitting and drilling ready for the fixings to join legs to brackets.

this will need concentration...….plus space.....

and seeing as I have now sent the old Barnett partly built model to a friend in Bavaria, as he wanted another classic lifeboat to build, it has gone to a good home, I have space back, lol...…..it was taking up quite a bit of room lol.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   

Back to top Go down

Shannon Build
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories :: Lifeboats-
Jump to: