TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage

EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!! Empty
PostSubject: EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!!   EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 10:55 am

Last night I was sat on the prom at Fleetwood with one of my daughters having a Mac's, and moaning that we hadn't got Mayfair in our Monopoly Millions give away, when my daughter pointed out to me a person walking out towards low water mark, two miles out on "Fairways"...the run in to Heysham and River Lune.

They were making a deliberate intention to get out to the  low water mark, and so I picked up my bins.

Usually the fishermen who fish out that area are well aware of the tides, have their high viz's on and equipment for either worming or fishing.......AND DON'T GO OUT  as the tide has just turned and is beginning to flood.

We watched for a little while and as the person approached the water they went onto a sandbank and waited for the tide to flood around and leave them stranded.

They then sat down in the water, and it was at this point that my fingers went to my phone and pressed 999, asking for the coastguard.

They took the details asked us to stay where we were and put Knott End Coast guard on full alert.

The Coasties came through to me, and it was an old friend of mine who I took up my first teaching post with in 1973..we chatted as they readied their Argocat and off they went.............

They had a devil's own job trying to get the person to come in with them as when ever they got close, the person moved away, waste deep into the freezing water, but the lads won in the end, and finally got the casualty into the argocat and beat a very hasty retreat back to shore at Knott End.

So, guys...never think you are a burden to the Emergency services...........better a false alarm or a call with good intent, than going home, having done nothing.

I would never have forgiven myself today if I had opened the evening paper tonight and read that some distressed person took the sad step of wading into the water and not coming back out because their troubles were too much to bare
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!!   EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 11:51 am

WOW.  You were in the right place at the right time.  Well done on  your actions.  Will you be following this up  ?

A very lucky guy.

ken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!!   EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 4:34 pm

hi, Ken..........the senior coastie at knott End who I taught with is helping my daughter with her quest to join the merchant navy and I told him last night whilst talking about the person ( I don't know whether it was male or female as my bins are not that good)that I will be giving him a bell after easter so he'll probably give me a basic of what happened, but if it was an attempted suicide he won't be able to give much away, nor would I want him too............

I have always felt it a moral obligation and duty though, as I was born, raised and brought up with Fleetwood beach in my blood, in more ways than one, lol.......that I and fellow coastal people have a duty to look after those who either need help, guidance or knowledge of the sea and it's power.............and although it might feel to others as though I am blowing my ego..............I just feel that visitors to the coast and sea, at times just haven't got a clue as to the power of the sea, and if you can just educate or even prevent one accident in your life, you have done some good.................after all, my own life was saved by a lifeboat man on my 8th birthday.........and I try my best to repay that gift as and when I can.

me being humble..........gawd unheard of, lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!!   EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!! EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 11:08 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Well done matey.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!!   EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!! Empty

Back to top Go down

EMERGENCY SERVICES.......USE THEM!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Lake Side :: At The Lake Side-
Jump to: