TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Antifoul Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
spongie
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
spongie

Antifoul Question Empty
PostSubject: Antifoul Question   Antifoul Question EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi folks,

Apologies if this is a frequent question, is Red Oxide Primer at all suited to use for Antifoul on models or is it no good for waterproofing?

I've taken in a model Fairey Swordsman in need of a refit, and want to do a good job with minimal outlay, I've got quite a bit of Red oxide primer from other projects and thought the shading would be ideal, with the dull pinkness when dry, but deeper red when wet.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
http://www.50001.org.uk
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

Antifoul Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antifoul Question   Antifoul Question EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 11:27 am

I use Red Oxide almost every time before painting and I don't think it's 'waterproof'. As you say, it goes a deeper red when wet.

If you want to use it as a top coat then maybe the hull needs to be varnished either before or after application.

Cheers

ken
Back to top Go down
spongie
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
spongie

Antifoul Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antifoul Question   Antifoul Question EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 11:31 am

Varnishing the hull after red oxide would be a waste of time as it would loose the effect I was looking for with the change in colouration, I guess otherwise any Matt finish red paint may have similar effect perhaps.

May do a trial of some description of Varnishing and then red oxide primering to see if that would give desired effect and still be water tight, the hull below the waterline is currently painted in a rather horrid shade of gloss fire engine red and it looks terrible
Back to top Go down
http://www.50001.org.uk

Antifoul Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antifoul Question   Antifoul Question EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 5:34 pm

spongie wrote:
May do a trial of some description of Varnishing and then red oxide primering to see

If you do that Scott........you'll just end up with a horrible mess of orange peeling and flaking paint..

Never ever spray an acrylic or cellulose paint ( those mainly in cans) onto an oil based paint..........the cellulose dries by evaporation and as an etching constituency will pluck away at the oil based paint such as polyurethane or enamel varnish underneath.

If the hull is sound and paintless before hand then a few coats of sanding sealer( I presume it's a wooden boat) onto the ply wood hull will seal it and then add your anti fouling red oxide.
you can waterproof it by painting inside the hull with Gelcoat ( NOT RESIN......as resin isn't waterproof.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Antifoul Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antifoul Question   Antifoul Question EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Do not anti foul primer!!!!!!!!!

and it is definalty not required on a model boat....Anit fouling it to stop build up of scum,weed, and sea creatures on your boats from Sea laid boats ( boats that are Moored in the sea for long periods of time)

There are Acrylic MATT & Satin vanishes/Laquer finishes you can purchase to SEAL and protect your paint work!!!!!!

no way should anti foul be used on primers with out a Finished Top coat which is suitable for use with antifouling paints, you will get peeling, cracking, splitting, crazing and have one hell of a headach!

jarvo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Antifoul Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antifoul Question   Antifoul Question EmptyMon May 11, 2015 10:51 am

Hi Scott

Use the same type of paint and laquer, red primer is not waterproof, use a matt or semi mat laquer, i get mine from a paint shop in Stockport which specializes in car finishing, (they supply teh trade)

If you have one near you they mix to your colour. With or without laqure included.

Hope this helps

Mark
Back to top Go down

Antifoul Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antifoul Question   Antifoul Question EmptyMon May 11, 2015 9:35 pm

LAD lads lads ALL you need to do if it is a Woden model eg plank on frame ...ply sides etc is SIMPLE....use some Car laquer to seal the wood BEFORE applying the Red Oxide on the hull.If it is a grp or plastic hull then simply appy and forget

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antifoul Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antifoul Question   Antifoul Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Antifoul Question
Page 1 of 1