TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Empty
PostSubject: AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay   AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay EmptySat May 03, 2014 4:57 pm

hi all,

i have been watching this ship now for 2 years now, it is being used to give colwyn bay a new beach. due to the storms we get, they are doing sea defences all round n wales, but this is a big job as you can see from my photos they have dregged hundrids of tons of sand out in the irish sea and transported the same plus more of rock boulders weighing 2ton plus. why they don't use the sand at Conwy estuary amazes me but ha I no nothing. hope you find this interesting. this is the ship AL-IDRIS they pump the sand by steel pipes which were welded together on my local beach pensarn then rolled into sea with rubber tubes  for floating then towed to colwyn bay as I say it is mamouth job.

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Dscf5016

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Dscf5017

sorry its not very clear but you can see the pipe from the ship

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Dscf5018

will post some more later

david
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay   AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay EmptySat May 03, 2014 8:22 pm

here is a few more pictuers this one is clearer

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Dscf5019

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Dscf5020
AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Dscf5021
AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Dscf5022

that's it for now

david
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay   AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay EmptySat May 03, 2014 8:30 pm

here are 2 photos of there web site. this shows the water line when loaded with sand.

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Al_idr10
this one shows here empty

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Al-idr10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay   AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay EmptySun May 04, 2014 2:50 am

Amazing David we had a Dutch dredge the heads of Port Phillip bay several years ago to allow Super container carriers entry as usual big business wins local marine ecology didn't matter perhaps this is why they dredged ocean sand not local to avoid destroying marine habitat?
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay   AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay EmptySun May 04, 2014 8:47 am

There is a RSPB wetlands nature reserve in the estuary which could be damaged if it were dredged, so you are probably right Damien. Or they were concerned that dredging would destabilize the A55 tunnel.

W..
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay   AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay EmptySun May 04, 2014 1:31 pm

hi damian,
thanks for correcting name.
I meant the bay which covers many square miles, no where near the r.s.p.b I go there my self, our the mussel farm. all boating follows a course which takes ages for boats to enter conwy as its all sand banked , even when tide is in it is still very shallow where the sand is building up, there wont be any access in a few more years if they don't start some sort of dredging. they have had this problem with moystyn port they had a roll on roll off ferry using the port but have given that up because of no dredging only small craft can use this now. soon there will be no access there I think. there are loads in the same position;

david
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay   AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay Empty

Back to top Go down

AL-IDRISI sand-dreger at colwyn bay
Page 1 of 1