Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:20 am

Hi all.
        I have been building this boat since November last year and I'm not even half way there yet.  With working full time and most Saturdays it doesn't leave much time to do all of the other things that life throws at you, but I hope to retire at Xmas so I will just plug away until then.  Well here goes with the boat.  I will post some of the photos that I have taken so far along the build but if there is anything you want to see in more detail just ask. The hull is made by milling out 2 solid slabs of Jelutong timber this timber comes from a rubber tree. I am digressing from the plan a little bit on the rudder, my boat will have 2 rudders to make for better stearing I am still working on this area of the hull. I have only got my engine plumbed this week thanks to the boys at Miniture Steam in Montrose. So this is where I am up to so far.

Trial assembly of engine into hull.

Engine & boiler mounted on machine plate with paddles attached. No plumbing yet.

Starting to attach top deck, all held together with dowel pins at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 am

Looking good so far.  Thumbup  2thumbsup  Thumbup  2thumbsup  Thumbup  2thumbsup   Thumbup
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks Damien
 I am going out to see the good folk at Surrey Park Model boat club tomorrow, hopefully the weather holds up. I don't get up that way much but if I do then I will pop in for that cupper for sure.  I got the engine plumbed on Thursday but I am not happy with a part of it, they put a rubber hose from the engine to the oiler, I will try and get some copper tube solder on the fitting and bend it to suit and just use a piece of the rubber tube about 30mm long to join it to the tank, it should look a lot better.
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 am

Hi Guys
It's been awhile since I updated this post, so here goes. I have completed the new stern apart from the final filling and shaping installed the rudders and started on the lower decks and also started cutting the planking into the decks and paddle wheel covers, this has been a slow process but it is starting to come together. 

New stern with 2 rudders  

Start of planking on deck and paddle housing.

I have also invested in a new plaything to keep the other couple of minutes a week that I can make free.
Not a steam boat but I got it cheap on ebay and it also goes on water. 

Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sun May 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Here is a video of the first firing of my engine and boiler.  I need to change the gearing system as the paddles are going way to fast,  I could probably get the boat up on airfoils at the rate they are turning. I originally thought that I would have to change it but I had all of these pulleys in stock so I thought I would have a play with them first.
http://youtu.be/-d8sth51cuE
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 am

Looking good 2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup 
The test will be in the water I imagine the paddles will slow considerably once put to work hauling the model.
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Tue May 27, 2014 12:00 pm

You could be right Damien.  Someone else on another forum suggested a Steam regulator but they seem very hard to find, so I will have to do some more browsing. a Steam regulator would probably be better as then I could keep the gearing I have got and just adjust the steam flow
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Back on deck again   Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:35 am

Hi folks, I am finally back on deck again after a year and a half away. I haven't actually done much on the boat since I have been absent as there was a lot of other things to get through, I have hardly been in the shed apart from getting tools and things out of it.  I am retiring in December and a lot of things needed to be done before that came around. So most of these things are done now so I can get back to the boat a bit.  I actually started on the Spiral staircase and top cabins today. 1 other development over this past little while is that I have bought a 3D printer for making bits and pieces for the boat 180 Windows of differing designs, doors, stairs handrail and finials ECT. I am not in production at the moment as I am waiting on a part for it, and I am still coming to grips with the software.  My thought was to get the items up and running while I am building the boat.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:32 pm

that looks very interesting jaydee. will look forward to seeing it in operation.......couldn't imagine turning all the spindles on a lathe..........what a godsend these printers seem to be............come too late in my modelling life sadly, but it will revolutionise scratch building.
neil.
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee    Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:30 am

Progress is slow at the moment, I retired last Friday and haven't had a moment in the shed since I last posted. I have had to get some brackets 3d printed for the stop switches on my 3d printer and hope to have it up and running early in the new year. I have made a new machine plate for all the mechanicals out of 1mm aluminium  and am in the process of reworking the mount for the paddles along with some work on the wheel houses I have taken some photos but my tablet is locked up in the shed with a flat battery at the moment so it will have to wait until tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee    Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:23 am

cheers Hooray I was able to get back in my shed today. hope everyone had a great x-mas. mine was fairy quiet but I have some update photos.  I have to get myself organized again I find myself chopping and changing to different parts of the boat every time I get into the shed which means I have about 10 parts on the go at any 1 time. at the moment I am a full time nurse to my wife so I only get out there when we have someone else in the house and the time varies.
Progress from last previous posts
I started assembly of the three life boats as I thought I may be able to do small parts like these in the house.

As I said last time I am redoing the machine tray in aluminium.

I have also done a little bit more work on the paddle housings.

And a little work on the Feathers for the chimney pots.

I received the Smoke machine the other day and will try it when I know the correct centres for the chimneys.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:01 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:01 pm

It's nice to see it's coming along with you back on it again. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee    Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Managed a little work on the boat over the weekend.  Started working on the 1st deck, everything attached under and above this deck will need to lift off so that I can get access to the motor and boiler, so I have managed to incorporate some locating pipes in the funnel arrangement to align everything up, the funnels are a 3 piece pipe attached 1 piece to the lower deck and another piece attached to the underside of the 1st deck to set up alignment then the funnels attach into this pipe. the smoke machine is inserted into the lower pipe arrangement.  I am pleased to say that the smoke machine works better than I had hoped see attached photos.

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:50 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Very good

Interesting view through the window, I spy a truck I think or a camper perhaps, do you live in the woods as it looks like ferns growing out there in front of the window?
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee    Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:11 am

Those aren't woods out the window troutrunner, that is my back yard outside my shed.

This is one of the reasons this boat is taking so long,  Other things to do.  I have just finished building my pond but unfortunately it is not big enough for the boat. The lilies would stop it in it's tracks anyway.

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:16 am

Ah! I see 2thumbsup  you've made a nice job of the pond, it's nice to see other folks achievements on subjects other than boats, thanks for the explanation.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee    Fri May 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Enough about the garden. This is just a short post to bring you up to date on my progress with the Robert E Lee over the last couple of months.

" />

I am trying to finish the walls between decks.

Stern section

Wheel house

Forward lounge.

Grand Staircase.

Forward deck.

Lighting System for ease of access the lighting has to be done as the sections are finished there are about 35 lights on this lower section.

I will be working on the next deck over the next couple of weeks and leave all of the finishing off, railings stairs ect. until the decks are all finished I have a pretty solid frame work holding all of the cabin parts together.  The whole cabin section from the deck to the top deck lifts off in 2 sections.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sat May 14, 2016 2:15 am

He's looking mighty fine mate.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sat May 14, 2016 8:18 am

Very nice work, it's coming along beautifully 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Mississippi Paddle steamer Robert. E. Lee   Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Here is another update on progress. most of the larger sections have been made now. I thought I had finished with the windows, but forgot about the skylight deck about 60 more, + lights.  The top of this deck is attached by magnets so it lifts of for access to lighting controls, they are not finished yet.  This 1st shot is a better photo of my timber yard the others were a bit dark. some touch up on paintwork is required, I think, that will come later.

Timber Yard.
[url=http://s310.photobucket.com/user/Jaydee_008/media/70 Timber yard.jpg.html][/url]

the next 3 shots are an overall look.
[url=http://s310.photobucket.com/user/Jaydee_008/media/71 Bow.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s310.photobucket.com/user/Jaydee_008/media/72 Stern.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s310.photobucket.com/user/Jaydee_008/media/73 Side.jpg.html][/url]

The cabins at the front and back of the skylight deck are made but are in the paint shop. Stacks and other masts lift out for transport.

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First 
      The Model and Toy Steam Engine Forum Forum Index -> BoatsAll times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:07 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup  Marvellous.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:48 am

Looking good 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee   

Back to top Go down

Mississippi Paddle Steamer Robt.E.Lee
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Build Blogs!-
Jump to: