TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New to this forum.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Mariners Way
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Mariners Way

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi there one and all,

I'm just embarking in to the world of model boats, I have had an interest in model boats for over 20 years but never really got around to building one, I chose to build static models of aircraft, cars etc as they were cheaper to obtain and complete. I had always fancied Model Slipways Maggie M (as well as others!) when she first came out back in the early 90's but never had the time nor the finances to obtain one, so I waited and waited and bided my time until such a time that I could get one....that time is nigh!........I am fortunate that I have a very kind father whom cares about his son's happiness so much that he has consented to helping in paying for the purchase of a Maggie M from Model Slipway, I received an email today from Jackie at Model Slipway to confirm that my Maggie will be ready for dispatch this coming Tuesday (2 weeks earlier than expected!), I simply cant wait and looking forward so much to getting my hands inside the box and have a rummage!!!
I had decided before my purchase of Maggie M to name her 'Mollie J' after my dearly departed Mum whom passed away on the 27th December 2013 at the age of 80 in a nursing home close to Brixham in Devon, therefore I have also opted upon completion to give her a port number beginning in 'BM', I'm not entirely certain whether any stern trawlers operate out of Brixham as most of them that I have seen from there seem to be beam trawlers, perhaps someone could enlighten me!....whichever the case I would keep to naming her after my mum and with the Brixham code as my mum was Torquay born and bred (returning to Torquay/Paignton in 2000), my Dad still lives in Paignton and this is the place that I and my family have just moved to also.
So happy building days, nights, weekends lay ahead as well as many happy sailing days/weekends too!! (hopefully!!)

All the best and kind regards to all my fellow model makers

Dave
Back to top Go down

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 11:22 pm

it's great to see a new face on here Dave and thanks for telling us all about your plans.......always fancied building her myself.........please do post your progress and don't be afraid to show us all...............we all tend to learn from each other, and don't be afraid to post warts and all.......I have been building for more than 50 years and still make terrible gaffs..........and don't mind admitting it.

enjoy the site, and more so enjoy your build............and as I always say.....it's your model, you name her what you want...............and the name you have chosen is also a lovely name.......my daughter is also a MOLLIE, not a molly.

lets get building. neil.
Back to top Go down

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 12:34 am

Welcome me as well Dave please post photos of your build as you go we all love to see them and the accolades you receive feels good any questions will usually be answered promptly.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 10:08 am

Hi Dave and welcome to the the forum.

You have chosen one of the best models from one of the best companies so we are rather jealous of you.  Yes, we would love to read about your build as long as there are plenty of pictures.   cheers  Nice thought to name her after your Mum. I'm sure you can register the ship where you like.

Cheers

ken
Back to top Go down
The Mariners Way
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Mariners Way

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks guys for your warm welcomes and comments, I very much appreciate it.
I will most definitely post the build on here along with photographs. As I have built plastic kits in the past and still do, I've never been brave enough to display them in public, too conscious of criticism, constructive or otherwise! Building a boat is a different kettle of fish as it contains a multitude of techniques and mediums, models within a model I suppose! So its time to bite the bullet and show all what I can and can't do, as you said Damien, the accolades received must indeed boost the modelling ego!
And Neil and Kenny, you are absolutely right, its my build, my boat, my choice of name etc, I suppose its a fact that as long as it makes the self happy then all is good, also, if I were a skipper of a full size fishing vessel and chose to relocate from say Peterhead to Brixham then I'm sure I would have to register the vessel there if it was a permanent move of location, hence the vessel would loose its PD prefix and gain the BM prefix.........that's going to be my excuse anyway when the 'Rivet Counter' at the lake or show or wherever says that there is no shelterdeck stern trawlers in Brixham.......my answer would be short (ish) and sweet (ish) and would be something like this "well there is now" (albeit a small size scale model and not a full size scale model!), closely followed by "Have you got a boat?" - "Do you intend to build a boat?" - "come back to me when you have and I'll pick holes in your pride and joy!!"..........sounds a bit bitter I think, but honestly I can take criticism as long as its constructive!!!

Enough ramblings for now.

Thanks again chaps for the kind comments and encouragement.

Dave
Back to top Go down

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 10:48 am

The only criticism on here is us berating ourselves Dave. I post my mistakes so that new builders might not make the same mistakes I do been model boat building 47yrs and still make mistakes at least I can now blame it on age lol

If you find any hints and tips we also have a section for you to learn from and to post your own ideas even if it's been posted in the past someone may have missed the original.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
The Mariners Way
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Mariners Way

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 11:14 am

Damien, I think that self criticism is a model makers trait, we all strive to do better than the last and mistakes are often and various, its probably the only way to learn is to try it, possibly make a mistake and learn from what we did right or invariably wrong!

I think that building the Maggie M is going to be a steep learning curve but its good to know that I've made a good choice with a Model Slipway kit, I remember meeting Lawrie of Model Slipway at a show at a place called Child Beale here the UK back in the early 90's, I was so impressed by his model range and his attitude towards his business, he is one of the few in the business world where his customers come first, they have been so helpful even before I placed an order and I know for a fact that their after sales service is second to none, all in all its a confidence builder knowing that you are not left just to get on with it after you've thrown money their way as many others seem to do, the experience is even better knowing that there is a pool of knowledge, skill and experience right here on this site, one of the few things we can thank the internet for!

Wishing the days away now for the arrival of the Maggie M!!!!  bounce 

Regards, Dave

Last edited by The Mariners Way on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed words out, not concentrating, sorry!!)
Back to top Go down

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 11:19 am

I'm sure you'll enjoy the build.
Back to top Go down
The Mariners Way
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Mariners Way

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi chaps,

Just to say that I received my Maggie M kit from Model Slipway on Wednesday afternoon, what a great service that Jackie and Lawrie provide to us model makers, prompt, polite, precise and professional, if an award were to be made available to fantastic, outstanding companies then Model Slipway would be worthy winners!

I will begin some sort of build thread on this forum some time soon, I am just recovering from some major dental surgery, I had 9 teeth out in one go on Wednesday and I'm not afraid in admitting that its bloomin' hurting at the moment........trying to get used to dentures as well is a bit of a distraction from my model making duties, so bear with me chaps, I will get building soon!!

All the best for now,

Dave
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 8:02 pm

hi dave,
I no exactly how you feel, I had all mine out last march 2013, talk about unlucky for some, I am now on my third set of dentuers  and still they don't fit very well I use more glue as I call it than building all my boats took, given up now they said I would be better haveing  screw in ones it would only cost me £6,000  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  hope you have more luck Thumbup and happy days building your boat, I will be watching but don't allways say much, so if you need any help yell out .

david
Back to top Go down
The Mariners Way
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Mariners Way

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 11:50 am

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply and bringing I slight smile to my face!!!
I have to say its early days for me as far as the teeth go, I think if I had to pay £6,000 for some gnashers I would rather go with out and spend the money on some more boats!!!
However, the pain is easing slightly, it hurts when the dentures go in in the morning (throbs for a couple of hours) and painful at night, the pain killers make you feel sick and very dizzy.......I will keep on keeping on though and set my sights on getting this build underway!!

Kind regards, Dave
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 6:55 pm

hi dave,

this is from my experience,  try putting bonjela cream on your gums leave a few minutes then put in dentuers. this is used for ulcers in the mouth it deadens the gums for a while, then you seem to forget any pain then. worked for me cost me a tube but well worth it  2thumbsup  2thumbsup

david
Back to top Go down
The Mariners Way
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Mariners Way

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 11:17 am

Hi David,

It seems as though this thread is turning in to a NHS helpline lol! 

Thanks for the advice, I'm off to the chemist to get a couple of tubes of Bonjela...........I wonder if bonjela has any model boat applications Question , could be used for propshafts I expect!!!  Laughing 

All the best

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to this forum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to this forum.   New to this forum. Empty

Back to top Go down

New to this forum.
Page 1 of 1