TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sea Road Lady

Go down 
+2
Footski
davidjt
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 11:56 am

damien's lesson for the day AMEN  Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Lol he is watching over you.Sea Road Lady - Page 3 263602217

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 12:33 am

I seriously doubt that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:09 am

After painting/staining the rails and letting them dry overnight I removed the deck screws to sand the primer I found the lower part with the rails was too brittle to be handled off the deck and broke off one paddle box so after repairs I reassembled the unit & I primed the whole thing.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Udprimer_zps0e9cb624

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Ud3primer_zpsc9f46504

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Ud2primer_zps4888856b

It will make masking a task & a half and will need some careful airbrushing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 10:10 am

Thinking on what David said about the name I only had 5mm to play with on the outer face of the paddle boxes so I did a mock up of a board on the top of the boxes after several hours on publisher trying for a curved sign I gave up and settled on this one just sitting in place.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Nameplate_zps0bf3512d

Back to the shed and made these.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Nameplate2_zpsfdbf843f

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Nameplate3_zpsff006f71

When the painting is complete I'll print the name on decal paper and spray gloss over the top.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 2:26 pm

hi Damien,

that looks ok to me  2thumbsup Sea Road Lady - Page 3 2302161080

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Cold weather has kept me from the shed got half an hour today and made a 34mm x 28mm water tank still need the bands and tap.
A Berocca vitamin can has a diameter of 25mm so I wrapped a 34mm strip of 1.5mm balsa around it then cut 3 circles from 3mm balsa for the ends.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Tank1_zpsbed8d4cf

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Tank2_zpsebcdb259

Last edited by Damien on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 5:19 pm

they really come alive when that first coat of primer goes on and it becomes a ship, and not some bits and pieces of plastic, wood and metal........always like that stage.

neil.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 6:49 pm

hi Damien

when does the warm weather start down under. we seem to be having a  indian summer so far quite mild.
looking good like neil said. what colour are you doing the lettering( look good in green)Smile Smile 

whats next
Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Lol

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 12:18 am

We're having a cold spring only had 2 days above 20c

warming in the next week but cold nights continue.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/vic/central/ballarat

I'll use that green it's the only green my printer produces I'll try printing 2 or 3 times to make it look more solid prior to spraying Auto acrylic clear over it.

Last edited by Damien on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 pm

that's a warm summer to us matey, lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:31 am

Stairs with the primer on I like the colour I think some shoe scuff marks and a coat of satin clear will finish them off.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Stprimer_zps655d56eb

I think my hull problem was me pressing to hard whilst sanding back the primer and cracking the surface I blame soft balsa skin moving under pressure of a single finger on this tight curve.
The plaster mixed with high build auto primer worked well.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Plaster-primer_zps66e4acf5

Left it several hours and started sanding back as the dark line shows it wasn't fully dry but sanded well and clogged w/dry paper quickly  lol! 

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 P-paftersand_zpsd79d613f
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:18 pm

it'll be alright in the end, Damien...............I gave up on balsa wood years ago because I was too heavy handed but admire those of you who can work it the way you do. takes concentration and patience..........something I haven't got when things go wrong. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Ooooh I considered hammer surgery!!!!!!!! then thought of the cash spent on this project and my pockets won. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:17 am

Paint on below water line.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Hullp_zps9637f96c

I painted the water tank yesterday, today I added the brass wire bands.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Tankbands_zpse182c048

I got a coat of paint on the inside and outer walls of the paddle boxes it's a pale yellow called Ivory and looks good.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Udp2_zps3a4b11b2

and tuther side.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Udp1_zps8eb15d85
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 12:01 am

I Have the hull hassles sorted had a warm day yesterday and got primer and colour on the paddle wheels.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Pp2_zps85ab56dc

After the problems with mask tape peeling patches of first coat off I lashed out and bought some Fine line low tac mask in 3mm, 6mm and 12mm hopefully it won't happen again.

Masked and brushed the green on the wheel boxes.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Box1_zpscbd8afc9

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Boxp2_zps193220b5

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Boxp_zps2e1f08ba
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm

looking amazing Damien............I like it more and more every time you post some. neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 9:08 am

Paint on the cabin sides I decided it was easier this way rather than mask the deck around the bridge.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Cab_zps1c9f80e8

and made a start on the rails for the stairwell.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Pamprails_zps21ffd2af
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 11:02 am

Got the brown on the uprights and under the bridge deck.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Udecbrown_zpscfd38eee

And added the exhaust stacks and a band of ivory paint on the funnel waiting  on a band of 3mm mask tape for the ivory stripe after painting the funnel black.
Shown in the first of these 3 pics

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Stacks_zps23d3b316
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Got the upper deck paint mainly finished just the railings to go before a top coat of satin clear.
After fighting with various types of mesh as Glynn Guest used on the original I decided on an extra rail.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Rails1_zpsb5ba565e

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Rails2_zps92cb3e14

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Underbridge_zps2960c162

Last edited by Damien on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 4:03 am

Some progress this morning ahead of a 30c max it will be to hot in shed later.
Green on hull is dry time to put upper deck in place to appraise the colour mix can say I'm happy with it.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Hd_zpsbf1c17a0

Time to add the ramp pulley posts with the car ramps sitting in place as a guide.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Cramp_zps115c57a3

Posts secure with super glue I'll put epoxy inside later.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Cramp3_zpsaf43f53a

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Cramp2_zps59fcf145

Last edited by Damien on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 7:30 am

Looking good Damien. I like the colour scheme. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 9:05 pm

I agree...........superb.
neil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am

Steps to bridge in place will make hand rails tomorrow
The u/deck safety rails painted a very fiddly job for stiff fingers.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Bridgestairs_zps299a7d1a

Fitted the deck chain ferrules for the car ramps and fitted the chains to aluminium attachment barwith fishing swivels at outer edge of the ramps.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Chains2_zps3c3f0d3e

Chains held with blutac until I epoxy the from inside the hull.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Chains_zpse17d0a44
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 3:48 am

Anti slip treads and hand rails fitted to bridge structure.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 St1_zpsa74b597d

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 St2_zps64badd0d
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 11:58 am

Bench seats for upper deck passengers and deck edge detail this was made of thick card coated with dope to seal it I then brushed a coat of green down the middle when dry i put 3mm pinstripe mask down the middle and brushed the ivory next day i removed the mask and painted the back ivory today, armed with supa glue and bi-carb kicker I fitted it to the deck edge.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Seat2_zps99a9fae5

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Seat_zpsa00a1240

This evening I got a pair of templates prepared for the life boat covers.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Lp_zps740f917e
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 6:20 pm

looking really superb, Damien. I wish more would post their builds...there are ( I think) only 3.4 of you posting builds at the mo.......what are people afraid of.?????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 10:42 pm

My video card is working at present so I'll post pics before it over heats.   confused 

Cut out life boat covers from thin kid leather and glued with pva.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Lbl_zps95006199

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Lbl2_zps14b30e4e

And found I'd made the guard rails too short and had to add about 30mm.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Addrails_zpsd8be2d10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 8:29 am

Spent more time in the shed while my computer was broken.

The life boat davits were rather fiddly with the arms finger bent to the plan the fittings each end were turned on my micro lathe several extras were needed as they became airborne whilst parting them off.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Davits_zps69dfce3d

After painting.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Davpaint_zps1b8f5e95

Next came the siren also fiddly given it's size.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Siren_zps37df9696

This next item I have no idea what it is. Glynn Guest put one on the bridge roof of his Ogdensburg ferry it was not on the plan but was in the pictures so I did my best to replicate it.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Dohicky_zps5e3eff71

Next was mooring post's and cabin roof vents in the MB's article Glynn used nails for these so I did the same with plasterers clouts, for the vents I mixed some auto filler and applied it to the tops when cured I chucked the nails in my drill and formed the shape with sand paper on the spinning nail.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Vents_zps7d8c04f6
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 8:53 am

Very clever Damien - great attention to detail. 2thumbsup  2thumbsup 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 12:14 am

Thanks Barrie.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 11:38 am

For want of a name I call this a thingy, it looks better cleaned up and painted.
I lost 4 that were thrown across the shed while parting off on the lathe.
This one I parted to 1mm of brass left and finished with a hacksaw. 

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Thingy_zpsce49cd8e
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 4:43 am

The mast made with 1.5mm polystyrene and some scrap I also made brass ferrule for it to sit in so it can be removed for transport.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Mastf_zps9c5225fc

I also got the lifeboat davits fitted.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Davitsf_zpsb3a1832e

Last edited by Damien on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 10:25 am

Coming together started on and finished mounting the motor mount assembly today also cut and joined the drive belt I was surprised after heat joining the 2mm dia synthetic belting and trimming after cooling I couldn't break it I guess that's why the say it's for watchmakers lathe drive.
Any how after fooling with it I thought I'd put the upper deck in place to see what it's looking like.
Must say I'm very pleased with her.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Lookingood_zps3c16e049

I printed the Sea road lady name on decal paper trimmed it a put them in soapy water when I pulled the first I realised I forgot a major step I hadn't put a clear sealer coat on to stop the ink from running ohh well another senior moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:21 pm

The name looks good.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Sign_zps5bbf9cbc
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:12 pm

hi Damien,

looks good with name on  2thumbsup  2thumbsup . are you ready for the big launch now.

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Not finished yet still have final coat of satin clear on the hull and upper deck to do with the airbrush the lower deck I brushed as after the oil and tread marks a bit of rough painting wasn't going to matter.
I'm still awaiting a hull weathering  set from Hongkong, And I, not relishing the thought of getting on my knees beside the bath for the float test and balancing this model is 50mm too wide for my test tank.
And have yet to workout placement an attachment of the cars.

Last edited by Damien on Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:52 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 11:46 pm

at least it'll be sunny when you get to sail her Damien..........just come back from taking my two kids to Scotland for the weekend.................it rained heavily all the way up on Friday,......took them to Oban on the Saturday and the Lochs were flooding onto the roads with the torrentioalm rain, and the only sunshine was on the way home today..........botr got some good shots of the ship that I am modelling at the mo, the Eigg, so that hopefully will progress shortly.

neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 8:06 am

It took some grueling brain work and a profile gizmo to come up with correct profile shapes for the stand taking into account the 9mm foam the hull sits upon.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Templates_zpsad0a636a

And some surgery on the six little Renault's for permanent fixture to the deck.
The 1916 truck will have the pin epoxied close to the bow forward of the deck hatch if need be it can be unscrewed from the pin.
The R5 turbo and the R8 Gordini will be weathered with rally muck .

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Cars_zps1bc876c5
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 8:01 pm

you're a man after my own heart Damien.........just snapped up an untouched kit of Mountfleet models sealight puffer on ebay for half price, and next step was to buy a pedal cycle kit to adorn the deck amongst other things, lol

also bought some little diecast cars at 1;35 and 1;43 for my two ferries being..........well, will be built. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 3:02 am

seems I started something.  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 7:49 am

nhp651 wrote:
looking really superb, Damien. I wish more would post their builds...there are ( I think) only 3.4 of you posting builds at the mo.......what are people afraid of.?????

No idea Neil, there's the edit function if you make a mistake (which I use frequently) and it's certainly not hard to do even I can do it  lol!  Perhaps photo posting is a deterrent although quite a few members post on other forums.

I also post on paddleducks   as well as Airbrush, lathe  and others.

Perhaps its a confidence thing not wanting to show mistakes or not happy with their workmanship but those of us who post show our muck up's it's part of modelling and a way we learn from the mistakes.
Perhaps I'll start a thread asking that very question  asking for comments.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 am

So much for the grueling brain work yesterday as I laid them out I discovered the lhs of one was 3mm taller on one and the rhs of other was also 3mm taller than the lhs.
I'll blame it on the bug I picked up at christmas lunch.

Can you spot the faults?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Damien wrote:
Can you spot the faults?

I never look for other modellers faults, matey....make enough of my own to satisfy my desires lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 2:34 am

Fair enough you really have to look carefully to spot it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 5:18 am

I Remembered the first rule measure 4 times then drill or cut, I now have another check if anything obstructs depth of cut.

Decided to fit the mooring posts measured carefully and marked the spot first went well 2nd I discovered why this new rule applies the hull curved inwards a this location and  after giving a push through hard balsa managed to drill through the%$#@&* hull, didn't need heating in the shed my language was enough heating for the neighborhood. 

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Ooops_zps7d83d42c

A little filler now primer tomorrow and some brushed on top coat and it may add to weathering as a patch.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Oops_zpsc223c849
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 am

Argh !!!  the joys of modeling.   scratch 

No problem covering it up though. It will come out alright.

Happy new year

Ken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Well the severely hot weather has passed for now but discovered my power cable to the shed draped over the hot water service all the cable saddles i'd glued to the wall with liquid nails had succumbed to the ravages of UV. It seems i'm not as fit as I was 3yrs ago when I put them up. I got 5 saddles up yesterday using 5min UV stabilized epoxy and another 5 to day before my knees gave out only 10 to go then I start cable tying the cable into them all may need new knees before I'm finished at least I picked up a sturdy but cheap 6ft step ladder for $48 or 29quid $60 cheaper the their rival store.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 am

Finally got a display stand made from 3mm MDF and 9mm dual rate foam from a camp mattress left over from when I lined the roof of  my shed to combat condensation.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Stasnd_zpsd3ea15bc

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Stasnd2_zps401e172b

Just awaiting some chrome paint for the bumpers and hubcaps now.

Last edited by Damien on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 11:22 pm

We had an almost cool day yesterday and I made a start on the Renault 4CV kit the 7th car for the deck.
airbrushed the body/chassis and brushed the rest.

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 4cv2_zps2638ce96

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 4cv3_zps562e981b

Sea Road Lady - Page 3 4cv1_zps0970c53e
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sea Road Lady
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next