TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Loyal Moderator

Go down 
+2
phil winks
barriew
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 pm

I have removed the oversize chain and painted the main railings. I have ordered some new chain which I hope will be the correct size. I have also completed the railings on the wheelhouse roof. These will be painted on the next session. I must check carefully before I start another boat with 3 rail railings at this scale Wink - both fingers and eyes were at their limits with these Sad

Barrie

Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2615
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 1:54 pm

I've been making fittings, and painting railings. The photo shows the main mast, the binnacle, derrick and boom the voice pipe and another ventilator. Most of these are ready for fitting next session, others still need painting. I also made the boom support.

I am still trying to work out if it is possible to fit the anchor recesses. If I cut the holes then I'm committed. Wink

Barrie
Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2616
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Today was bite the bullet day Surprised I decided that if I was going to fit the anchor recesses it had to be today! The following sequence of photos shows how it went. I'm quite pleased with the result - since the last photo I have added some half round moulding to cover the gaps. (The photo I took was badly out of focus - another try tomorrow)

Still got the other side to do Very Happy

Barrie

Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2617 Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2618 Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2619 Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2620 Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2621 Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2622
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 5:59 pm

I thought having done one side the second would be quicker but no! However, both sides are now complete and painted. I can now get on with finalising the deck fittings - just one winch to make.

Barrie

Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2623
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:30 pm

A very neat job of inserting those anchor recesses. And a very quick and lovely job your making of this build.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 pm

I agree...lovely.
neil
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Almost there now! Quite a few bits and pieces completed today. Major item remaining is the cargo hoist and winch. I have some of the components, but need to make the inch. I also have to fit the chain t the stanchions in front of the life boat canisters - this came today and is VERY fine Shocked

Barrie

Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2625 Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2626 Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2627 Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2628
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Oh wow looking great Barrie.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Indeed its lovely Barrie

Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Thumbs10
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks guys Very Happy

I put it in the test tank today and it floated on the water line - just a little lead required on the starboard side, which should be replaced by the remaining winch etc when I fit them. If all goes well it will get its maiden voyage on Sunday morning.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:43 pm

OK - after the Easter holidays its back to work model making Very Happy

I finally got the pictures I wanted from my friend's Model Slipway version and so have built the winch. The motor is from a Battlecrafts winch, the rest is wood or plastic card. Still needs a bit more paint. I have also worked out the pulley arrangements, and these are waiting for paint to dry.

That will just leave me with the chains in front of the liferafts. I'm waiting for a "good day" to tackle that Laughing

Barrie

Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Imgp2629
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:48 pm

Nicely fashioned winch Barrie. All round very very good looking build.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks - I'm quite pleased myself Embarassed .

I had it in the water last Sunday and it performed quite well. Although it was ballasted to the water line it bobbed around and heeled quite badly turning so I have added more ballast in the hope it will be more stable. I also had a problem with my coupling - just a bit of rubber tube. I think it was maybe too old, so I have replaced it with some different tube. It will be a major job to fit a conventional coupling if this doesn't work.

I wont be taking it this Sunday - I want to finish now before it goes sailing again.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 8:58 am

Last Sunday I finally got a chance to compare my model with the Model Slipway version of this vessel as they were both on the water..

Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Img_2010

You will notice a very significant difference in the shape of the bow - I wonder which is the more accurate? Apart from that the level of detail at 1/48th compared to the larger one is quite good I think.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 1:45 am

Very nice Barrie there's a lot more skill required in building small scale fittings well done.  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 7:28 am

hi barrie , 
 I have only ever built one kit, and found I was bored, as all the fittings etc where done for me, I much prefer making them myself like yours. I know some people cant, and that is why there is the market for kits, so in my mind your model is far better than the kit  2thumbsup . also when you go to shows they almost certainly, will pick a kit as best in show, our best built but never a mention about the hours you have put in, making your own parts. they give points for different stages ie any photos any history etc even though its a kit. so don't enter any more only my club show where the mayor picks the boats he would like to take home. more satisfaction building from scratch  2thumbsup .moan over

david
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loyal Moderator   Loyal Moderator - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Loyal Moderator
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2