TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Glueing Plastic to paint

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

Glueing Plastic to paint Empty
PostSubject: Glueing Plastic to paint   Glueing Plastic to paint EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 4:56 pm

I have been working with Plastic styrene for years but now have a query.

I usually join it by running the liquid plasticWeld glue down the join and this works fine by literally welding the two pieces together. However, I find myself forced to join a clean piece to a painted piece.

I cannot scrape the painted piece for fear of fracturing the 'Paint job' and spoiling the look. I am aware that it does melt into the paint but I wondered if there was any method to go down to the original plastic base ? There is also the chance of spilling the liquid onto the wrong part of the paint job and spoiling the look.

I find, that when dry, it's possible to snap of the join, taking the painted edge with it. If I use superglue then it's the same effect. The joins do hold in position but are not really very strong when it comes to bumps.

I have to stick plastic letters along the side of a painted hull where they may get knocked off. Here is a picture of someone else's boat to show what I'm after.

cheers

ken

Glueing Plastic to paint Name-l10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glueing Plastic to paint   Glueing Plastic to paint EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 pm

a tricky one that Ken.......

I am a great advocate of using double sided sticky tape for such jobs.....if you look at my build blog of the ambulance launch you'll see the stuff I use........it is waterresistant once stuck and is micro thin...also you could put it onto sections of each letter to stick them onto the hull.........that's the only suggestion I can say as I normally letter mine with stick on vynil lettering from Bess.

neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glueing Plastic to paint   Glueing Plastic to paint EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:07 pm

5 min epoxy will work in this situation as well Ken spread sparingly on the letters.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Glueing Plastic to paint   Glueing Plastic to paint EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for the thoughts. I was thinking of a small scrape down to plastic, within the letters boundary, so Epoxy might be the answer.

I'll post the results later.

Ken
Back to top Go down
tt1
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
tt1

PostSubject: Re: Glueing Plastic to paint   Glueing Plastic to paint EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am

Hello Ken, Have often found the need to do the same, not only new styrene to paint but paint to paint as well. I always scrape back to styrene within the profile of the parts and generally use cyano. It's surprising just how little an area you need to scrape to get a sound bond. Have tried other methods without much success and got into a right mess at times.

Regards, Tony.
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Glueing Plastic to paint   Glueing Plastic to paint EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 am

Hi Tony

Yes, that's the way I shall go. The letters to be stuck on are quite wide enough to allow for scraping the hull.

Cheers

ken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glueing Plastic to paint   Glueing Plastic to paint Empty

Back to top Go down

Glueing Plastic to paint
Page 1 of 1