TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A little help please

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

A little help please Empty
PostSubject: A little help please   A little help please EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:57 pm

I am nearly at the stage of making a net drum for the shrimper, this will be cut out of plasticard, I would like it to have 10 spokes on it, with a dia of about 3 1/2 inches.

The problem I have, apart from being thick is drawing it out so that the spokes are evenly spaced.

I have tried with different programs, but all I have got is a bad head.

I know some of you are clever, so now is the time to prove it.affraid

Please try to keep it simple, aim any explanations at a 5 year old Very Happy

Alan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little help please   A little help please EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 pm

alan..the problem can be worked out by simple mathematics..

what you have are 10 segments of a circle made up from iscocelese triangles with the apex angle of 36degrees and the two adjacent angles of 72degrees.

the longer sides of the triangle are thelength of the radius of your wheel.......

so draw a triangle using protracter and compass with the angle of 36 degrees between the spokes, and mark the length of the spokes with the compass to cross the spokes...finally join the intersections on those spokes together with a straight line.

measure the length of that line, and then draw your wheel to the same diameter.

step that length off to give you your ten spokes with a set of dividers.

re adjusting fractionally either plus or minus to get your equal spaces around the circle. then you can mark out your ten spokes

voila'
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: A little help please   A little help please EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks for that Neil, will be putting it to use tonight.

Alan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little help please   A little help please EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 pm

no probs, Alan........I was only doing this with my daughter for maths homework a few nights ago....people say you don't use maths once you've left school..........but it's amazing how many times I do for model boat building.

Once had to work out the perimeter of an elipse so that I could cut a petrol can down to make a funnel for a trawler...the commotion I stirred up with my mates in a pub one night trying to remember the formulae for the perimeter for an elipse.......took nearly 8 pints and a lot of discussion, lol
Back to top Go down
shipwright
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: A little help please   A little help please EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:32 pm

An 8 pint problem thats a lot of deep thought Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little help please   A little help please EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:40 pm

It wasn't so much as a problem.......I was just enjoying the beer,lol! lol! drunken drunken drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little help please   A little help please Empty

Back to top Go down

A little help please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: General Modelling :: General Modelling Questions-
Jump to: