TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vernon Tarpon

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Seaspray
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Seaspray

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Speaking of Vernon models here is my Tarpon from the 70s and having a run round Mote Park pond

Vernon Tarpon Img_0210 Vernon Tarpon Dcp_0010
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Very nice mate whats powering her I remember one of my friends back then had one with a little mills marine diesel I think fair flew round if I remember right
Back to top Go down
Seaspray
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Seaspray

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:24 pm

phil winks wrote:
Very nice mate whats powering her I remember one of my friends back then had one with a little mills marine diesel I think fair flew round if I remember right

Ah disaster for years with this boat. Used an OS 20 marine in it and it was slow not responsive a pain in the. Electric motor were not as they are today I think the motor of yesteryear for this boat was the Bullet and beyond my pocket money. Put it away for decades disappointed. Some year later spoke about it and did some hull reading the prob was it has a Deep Vee Hull and requires a lot of oommmfff to get going and the O.S didn't have it, nether did a HB 25. Now after lots of experience and trails she has a Graunper 600 ECKO motor direct drive on a 35mm S type prop. Ni-cads pack of 2100mah at 8.4 volts and goes like the wind.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 8:52 pm

thats the way that boat should go mate wish I could remember exactly which motor my school friend had in his I do remember it used to rev like a demon on full throttle. much faster than my little motor did and infact sounded more like one of the aero glow engines of the time than a water cooled diesel
Back to top Go down
Seaspray
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Seaspray

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 9:13 pm

phil winks wrote:
thats the way that boat should go mate wish I could remember exactly which motor my school friend had in his I do remember it used to rev like a demon on full throttle. much faster than my little motor did and infact sounded more like one of the aero glow engines of the time than a water cooled diesel

Different story in those days local model shop 50 miles away . My mate and me were the only ones doing the boats and he was 30 miles away. Out on a limb ehh. Isn't that a lovely picture just waiting to open that throttle on the radio.

Vernon Tarpon Img_0216
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Oh absolutely and although I totally understand your move to electric motive power do sometimes feel it would be nice to see more of these classic models with their intended noisy ic powerplants installed and working something very evocotive about the sound and smell of the old marine diesels
Back to top Go down
Seaspray
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Seaspray

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Yes it would be nice, however every club has restrictions on i.c. engines. Just looked up the engine size for this boat and it is a 29 that should have been in it .The O.S. 20 marine came out of my Wave Princess (Nor Star Kit) a planing hull and had no probs. I like the crack of of a diesel or glow engine can't beat it and the smell. Shame they can't get the noise of them down to an acceptable level.

I've still got the O.S 20 and the HB 25BB in the shed oiled up and stored..someday vroom. The extra raised compartment at the bow was for easy access to the fuel tank my own design.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:08 am

yep the green brigade have a lot to answer for mate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vernon Tarpon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vernon Tarpon   Vernon Tarpon Empty

Back to top Go down

Vernon Tarpon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Vintage Boats-
Jump to: