TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stuffing Box Sources

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LarryB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Stuffing Box Sources Empty
PostSubject: Stuffing Box Sources   Stuffing Box Sources EmptyWed Feb 07, 2024 8:33 pm

Hello all,

New member here.

I am new to RC modeling (I'm nearly 70 years old).  I have been designing a model of the 1925 version of the LA City No 2 fireboat using Freecad and printed on an Ender 3 Pro.  The model is about complete and I'm now looking at what it will take to add RC gear to drive this around a pond or pool.

I have many, many questions but I will start with one.

I am looking for a source of stuffing boxes.  Especially a stuffing box whose outer diameter is no more than 5mm or so.  I see from Google searches most are showing 10 to 12 mm diameters.  That is way to large for my model.

Stuffing Box Sources Img_4713

During the design of this model I decided I will need two hull styles.  The one shown above I am calling the 'display' hull (that has 3D printed propellers, shafts and the correct sized rudder).  I will modify this hull for a second version that will have openings to accommodate the propeller stuffing boxes and a larger rudder.

My first question is can someone point me in a direction of where to get small diameter stuffing boxes?

I have watched a couple YouTube videos where the host makes custom stuffing boxes and it may come down to that.  My hope is I can buy them rather them make them.

There will be more questions to come as I progress in this project.

Thanks

Larry
Back to top Go down
LarryB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Stuffing Box Sources   Stuffing Box Sources EmptyWed Feb 07, 2024 8:48 pm

as an FYI I did a scratch build of the LA City No 2 several years ago...
Stuffing Box Sources Img-2212
Stuffing Box Sources Img_2314
Stuffing Box Sources Img_2315
Back to top Go down
Kimosubby
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Stuffing Box Sources   Stuffing Box Sources EmptyTue Mar 05, 2024 12:46 pm

Hello LarryB
Nice models, the wonders of 3D printing.

The nearest I have to a stuffing box on any of my many boats is either a small silicon soft washer on each end of the propeller shaft, or just a slightly compressed oil soaked fibre washer on the inner end only. My boats range from little 8/10 inch small rugs to 48 inch thames barges with 12V decaperm motors and 8mm prop shaft. They all "leak" some but never enough to be concerned for a sinking event.
On some bigger boats I add a drip tray to catch that which travels up the shaft.
Some would say that a tight fitting shaft in it's tube at the scale we play at should not let water pass anyway.

Aye, Kim
Back to top Go down
LarryB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Stuffing Box Sources   Stuffing Box Sources EmptyTue Mar 05, 2024 1:03 pm

Thank you for the insight.  I visited with a hobby store and they suggested an idea that I have ordered.  I also went back into my cad drawing of the 'RC' version and beefed up the part of the model the stuffing tube will transverse.  This shop also suggested the washers idea you mentioned.  Once I get the parts I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again

Larry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuffing Box Sources   Stuffing Box Sources Empty

Back to top Go down

Stuffing Box Sources
Page 1 of 1