TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello From West Yorkshire

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Prof
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Prof

Hello From West Yorkshire  Empty
PostSubject: Hello From West Yorkshire    Hello From West Yorkshire  EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 5:16 pm

Hi all, 

I am new to the world of model ship building.... New as in never had an RC ship. The last model boat I owned was a strange looking speed boat... It was very futuristic.... Well, as far as the mid 1970's thought futuristic boats would look, this one had large aircraft type prop and was supposed to blow itself across the boat lake.... I do not ever remembering it ever actually making it all the way across a boating pond, let alone a boating lake 🤣

A couple of years ago, I decided to get into RC modelling and made a couple of proper balsa planes. I spent hours designing and 3d printing little video cameras and smoke generators and painting things and have never flow one. The thought of crashing all that hard work was too bad. 

So what can I do, that will not fall from the sky and break my heart, but still has that level of detail? I thought that it is unheard of for a battle ship to come crashing out of the sky.... So I have decided to build RMS Hood. As far as I remember, she never screwed up a landing, or ever got blown out of the sky by an unexpected wind.

So I have further decided to make this really bloody hard for myself. I am going to scratch build (kind of) a 1:150 scale Hood. I say kind of, because I will start with a cad model of the Ship, scale it to 1:150, then creat a 3d model and edit those core components to 3d print the hull, the superstructure along with the core components for all the armaments and the ancillaries. These printed parts would Then be assembled and waterproofed.Then use more conventional modeling techniques and components to make this look and  behave like the original.

As well as RC control of the vessel, I hope to have the ability to control the deck guns, and create smoke from the stacks, control fibre optics, if I can manage to make the guns 'fire' using a combination of RC and also Arduino control as well. 

So not a difficult first build at all 🤣😱🥴

I realise that I wil have a lot to learn, and maybe one day she will set sail. I have not even got an idea of which motors to use.... I gather they are a bit slower than the ones in my planes.....

If people do not mind me asking, I will be very grateful for any tips. I return, I will create a GIT of all the files (PDF, STEP, STL, and Software) and make that available to anyone who wants to have a try. 

Does this sound a bit ambitious 🤣
Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Hello From West Yorkshire    Hello From West Yorkshire  EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 9:12 pm

Hi,
doesn't sound too abitious santa 

Sounds like a tough job, but you're no beginner and if you have about 10 times the time you think you need, it can work out Razz 

There's more an more people who just print their hulls or even ships, first question often is "how can I get the STL" without even a word for the original model shown in the post - maybe not here.
Nevertheless fortunately there are enough others who discuss and share 3D files.  And at the end it counts that there are always new people coming to the pond.

Good luck, enough patience and a nice xmas time,
Joerg

Prof likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://modellwerft.spuelsaum.de/
Prof
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Prof

PostSubject: Re: Hello From West Yorkshire    Hello From West Yorkshire  EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 9:27 pm

I really enjoyed building the planes, and I really wanted to show them off, but I could not bring myself to fly the damned things. So I am hoping this allows a slightly more stress free model making experience. After all, I really want to use what I have built, without the trauma of trying to fly the thing ... But even just trying to find the data to allow me to identify the proper scale size prop I will be using shows me there is a lot to learn... And this does excite me (yeah, call me sad.... You won't be the first 🤣)
Then there is the real optimistic question, how do I transport a 2.6 metre ship to a modellers meet. (See, I even think I will succeed 😁🤣).

But I never have to worry about crash landing it 🤣
Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Hello From West Yorkshire    Hello From West Yorkshire  EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 9:32 pm

hi,
2.6m either a trailer or you build two halfs of the hull and probably the deckhouse in one part.

I have similar problems, just with 1.15m ... simply no space ..
Back to top Go down
http://modellwerft.spuelsaum.de/
Prof
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Prof

PostSubject: Re: Hello From West Yorkshire    Hello From West Yorkshire  EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 9:49 pm

JoJoElbe wrote:
Hi,

Sounds like a tough job, but you're no beginner and if you have about 10 times the time you think you need, it can work out Razz 

There's more an more people who just print their hulls or even ships, first question often is "how can I get the STL" without even a word for the original model shown in the post - maybe not here.
Nevertheless fortunately there are enough others who discuss and share 3D files.  And at the end it counts that there are always new people coming to the pond.

Joerg

A merry Christmas to you as well.... The idea is do download whatever 3d file I can find that I can import into SOLIDWORKS. I will cut off the various bits, create skin and create the STL file for that section, and then print that bit (in between using the printer for my day job).

Once I have the separate bits, I will use them as a mold to create a composite Hull (possibly using mold release spray and a fibre reinforced skin) . And then I can start really playing. The starter plan is to use that as the core for my model....... But I know from plane building, once I have a model, the problems really begin....

I have a problem int the fact that R&D is both my job, and my hobby. So if I have nothing personal floating in my mind, then differenxiatoon.between 'Job' and 'hobby' is a bit of a grey area. The plan with my HMS Hood model is that I achieve that separation without leaving my workshop 🤣

But should also lead to relaxing afternoons at a local boating lake.........

Unless I am too busy in the workshop..... But as well as my 3d FDM printer, have an sla (resin?)printer, a lathe or
Back to top Go down
Prof
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Prof

PostSubject: Re: Hello From West Yorkshire    Hello From West Yorkshire  EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 10:07 pm

Prof wrote:
JoJoElbe wrote:
Hi,

Joerg

A merry Christmas to you as well Joerg.... The idea is to download whatever 3d file I can find that I can import into SOLIDWORKS. I will cut off the various bits, create skins and create the STL file for that section, and then print that bit (in between using the printer for my day job).

Once I have the separate bits, I will use them as a mold to create a composite Hull (possibly using mold release spray and a fibre reinforced skin) . And then I can start really playing. The starter plan is to use that as the core for my model....... But I know from plane building, once I have a model, the problems really begin....

I have a problem int the fact that R and D  is both my job, and my hobby. So if I have nothing personal floating in my mind, then differenciation .between 'Job' and 'hobby' is a bit of a grey area,  The plan with my HMS Hood model is that I achieve that separation without leaving my workshop l 🤣🤣

But should also lead to relaxing afternoons at a local boating lake.........

Unless I am too busy in SOLIDWORKS, trying to do work stuff, or that decadent thing called eating (or sleeping), or walking my dog, I should be working on my model..... So hopefully I will not only make a model, but will actually put it on a boating thing, such as a pond or a lake 🤣

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello From West Yorkshire    Hello From West Yorkshire  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello From West Yorkshire
Page 1 of 1