TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Empty
PostSubject: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 4:28 pm

My kit arrived a couple of days ago, at the same time as the temperature started to rise Rolling Eyes
Today I made a start but the temperature didn't allow me much time in the workshop. I did manage to mark all the parts with their numbers and remove the keel components. These were sanded to remove the lands and are now ready for assembly when the temperature coms down a little.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2402 Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2403

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyWed Sep 13, 2023 10:57 am

On Monday I started sticking the parts of the keel and deck together. I furnished it this morning.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2404

I removed the formers from their sheets and trimmed and sanded them ready for the next stage but I need a building board before I can continue. I have ordered some 12mm ply.

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySat Sep 16, 2023 7:03 pm

OK, I didn't photograph it, but I made my first mistake Embarassed Embarassed There are battens around the deck opening. I stuck them to the edge of the cutout, but they should have been on the underside  There is no plan with this kit and I had to work from the colour photos in the manual. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed Embarassed
My building board arrived today so after fixing the deck to it I glued the bearers where they are supposed to be! 

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2405

I'm ready now to mount the bulkheads and the keel.

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 1:40 pm

The keel and bulkheads are now fitted. 

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2406

The keel need shaping, and thee seems to be quite a lot of material to remove. I hope my tiny plane is up to the job. Shocked

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2407

Next are the stringers which will require steaming. 

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyMon Sep 25, 2023 1:55 pm

Finally got round to more work on Swordsman. Stringers added and I've started sanding the keel to shape.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2408

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyThu Sep 28, 2023 6:55 pm

Keel and stringers sanded to shape and first two bottom sheets fixed.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2409

The next two should go on OK, but the forward ones look to be oversize by quite a lot.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyFri Sep 29, 2023 8:45 pm

More of the bottom sheets applied.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2410

I had to trim the front section - I hope It got it right Rolling Eyes

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2411

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 1:30 pm

Last bottom sheet 

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2412

and a start on shaping the balsa block. I don't have a gouge, so its slow progress with sandpaper on a bit of plastic pipe.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2413

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyWed Oct 04, 2023 12:58 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2414

Nearly there with the first block, but three more to go. 

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2416

This is where I've got to - very dusty job.

There's going to be a lot of filling required Shocked Rolling Eyes

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySat Oct 07, 2023 11:08 am

More work on the balsa blocks. These are getting close to the final shape - I think Rolling Eyes

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2417

I have continued to add the sides, but I think I will have to remove and re-do the forward one. The instructions and photos are not very clear in this area, but thi is obviously wrong. Embarassed Crying or Very sad Embarassed

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2418

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySun Oct 08, 2023 4:33 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2419

Panel replaced. Luckily I had a sheet of exactly the same material so it should not be noticeable.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyTue Oct 10, 2023 2:11 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2420

This is now ready for the filler Rolling Eyes

Side two all planked 

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2421

Next job is to steam the transom, and then start filling

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyWed Oct 11, 2023 2:04 pm

All the edges now sanded down and I've started filling some of the many gaps. Still lots more to do, but its a start.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2422 Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2423

I though I was going to have to steam the transom which would be awkward as getting from the kitchen (steam) to my workshop is a slow process in my current state. However, I tried some dry heat from a hair dryer which seem to be adequate so that is the next job.

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySat Oct 14, 2023 1:44 pm

Added some more filler today

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2424 Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2424

and more sanding

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2425

Bar rie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySun Oct 22, 2023 1:41 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2427

Transom now fixed and sanded. More filler added to the bows. I had to stop at this point as it was too cold in the workshop - I couldn't hold the tools.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2428

Barrie
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyThu Oct 26, 2023 10:48 am

Very nice work but seems a lot of effort. I recently built a wooden model boat company Thames lifeboat and the sanding of the bow blocks did my head in. Getting the right shape, or close to it was a mare. Reverted back to vac form or fibre glass hulls for future builds😁
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyThu Oct 26, 2023 1:50 pm

Yes - it is not the easiest way to build a hull, but for me its the building that's important. Its unlikely this will get near the water as I no longer drive and the sailing water is 30 mils away!

Barrie

intrepid75 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySat Oct 28, 2023 11:04 am

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2429

Finished sanding and a coat of resin applied to the hull.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2430

and now a layer of tissue and resin applied to side one. The instructions suggest using glass fibre tissue and epoxy resin, but I have used Dave Milbourn's favourite method of tissue and acrylic resin - easier to apply.  Very Happy Very Happy

Just a few kinks to sand out when its set hard.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 1:42 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2431

The whole hull has now been covered with tissue and resin - several coats of resin. Once completely set it will need rubbing down. The next job is to fit the chine strips and also the strips to the underside of the hull. I an hoping to get these done before the weather gets too cold so that I can at least spray the hull with undercoat before I fix the laser lined deck overlay.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyTue Oct 31, 2023 2:14 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2432

Chine strips now fixed and the first of 6 spray rails to the underside. These are fixed with superglue. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyThu Nov 09, 2023 2:11 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2433

Spray rails now fitted and covered in resin. Ideally I would give the hull a spray with white primer, but I'm not sure the weather will cooperate.
If not, its onto fitting the prop shaft and rudder.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySat Nov 11, 2023 6:17 pm

Too cold for spraying so onto the prop-shaft and rudder tube.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2434 Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2435

The motor mount is not yet crewed down. I am currently using a solid coupling - not sure if that will be OK, but time may tell - if the boat ever gets onto the water Rolling Eyes

The hole in the prop-shaft is to allow me to grease/oil the shaft. It will be covered with plastic tube or tape.

I do really need to spray the hull as the next step is to fit the laser engraved deck, which would be better done after spraying.

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyMon Nov 13, 2023 6:43 pm

if you leave it like that and glue the motor holder instead of using screws it should work (start with superglue and then fill up with 2k epoxy or similar). If you use screws there may be some tension at the end, then you'll ruin the 'gears' (in and out parts of the shaft) and it will start either leaking water, oil or grease.
Back to top Go down
http://modellwerft.spuelsaum.de/
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 11:06 am

I hear what you say Jorg, but it is unlikely that I will sail this boat. If it does become possible I will change the coupling for a flexible one. For that reason I will screw down the mount so that I will be able to move it should that be necessary.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyThu Nov 16, 2023 3:01 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2436

I did manage to spray the hull with primer earlier this week.

Today I fixed the deck overlay.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2437

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyTue Dec 19, 2023 1:35 pm

Finally spent some more time in the ice box (workshop). No too long but did fix the motor and the coamings round the opening in the deck, before my fingers gave up!
That's it for a while I think.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2438 Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2439

Christmas Greetings

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:47 pm

Improving health and weather have allowed me to get back to modelling Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
A few days ago I treated the decks to a coat of teak stain. Today I started to assemble the cabin. The whole cabin is removable so there will be very good access.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2440

Since taking the photo I have glued the front and back screens and removed the assembly from the hull to allow me to strengthen the joints.

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 2:00 pm

I've started planking the front cabin roof.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2441

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 2:13 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2442

I finished planking the forward cabin roof.  Needs quite a bit of sanding to get a good shape Rolling Eyes

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 pm

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2443

Now sanded and filler applied. Started on the rear cabin roof

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2444

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 1:26 pm

The forward cabin roof is now almost finished (photo was out of focus). I also lined the underside with tissue stuck on with PVA.
All the rear cabin roof planks are stuck and the underside lined. Ready for sanding and filling next session.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2445

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 9:14 am

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2446

Rear cabin roof sanded and filled waiting final sanding.
Next up is the cockpit area. I can't follow the instructions for this so I will be making it up as I go along Shocked Shocked Shocked

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 1:50 pm

I had some problems with the cockpit Embarassed As I couldn't understand the instructions I decided to build it as a separate unit and then fit it to the cabin. Unfortunately it doesn't fit Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. I have sealed it and painted it, and will have to work out how to include it.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2447

I've turned my attention to the electrics. The ESC is mounted on the bulkhead in the forward cabin with the battery tray in the middle and rear cabins. The steering servo is screwed to the back of the battery tray, and the Rx will sit on top of the tray. I am fitting a fuse between the battery and the ESC and this will be used as the switch.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2448

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

The cockpit has now been fitted into the cabin. I had to fill in but this will not show as I intend to plank the area behind the windscreen. The Cabin sides have now been painted a pale blue, and the hull given a coat of grey undercoat.

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Img_2449

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit   Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit Empty

Back to top Go down

Fairey Swordsman - SLEC kit
Page 1 of 1