HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

"Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:37 pm

I 1st built the lady sarah 2 yrs ago and at that time the plans I drew where somewhat crude and ambiguos. earlier this year I had a request for the plans for this prototype and being a perfectionist when it comes to plans decided to redraw the plans and took the oppourtunity too develope her for brushless power and give her a motor capable of turning the 55mm prop I'd wanted on the original.

this photo shows her at her current state (basic hull)

How I built this hull is photographically documented in my photobucket album at

http://photobucket.com/ladysarah2build

now the techie bit I did this morning.

finally got to fit the 900kv 26a brushless inrunner motor that will drive the 55mm 3 blade prop through a toothed belt reduction drive (16 tooth to 22 tooth pulley). just a short video of the 1st motor run up (nice and smooth too)

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif4
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:47 pm

I've progressed the running gear installation and its all fitted and working fine. The next step is to fit the reserve bouancy and a temp cover over the stern locker so I can test the efficiency of the drive system before progressing with the deck planking.

the Water pump is fitted forward and runs via an action pico speed controller that is hooked to channel 3 so it can be set to run as required and used independantly to empty the system after use and if she's been used in saltwater to flush the system with fresh. the rudder servo is a digital high torque (12kg/cm) towerpro affair with plenty of power to turn that huge rudder in what will be a powerfull prop wash

also done are the name plates (pretty cool this water slide transfer system)

Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Well she had a run across the pond on sunday. I was going to vid it but on 11.1v (3s) she is way to lively to handle one handed so for the sake of sanity I've decided to use a 12 cell 7.2v NiMh parralel pack to power her it should calm her down a bit reducing the voltage.

now for Neil the links to the hardware I reckon two of each of these should give your ambulance launch enough oomph to impress all but the hardcore FE boys

the motor

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/keda-kb365038s-900kv-brushless-inrunner-p-403227.html

watercooling jacket (you get the red item not the purple one)

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/watercooling-jacket-kb36-p-405288.html

ESC (watercooled and it needs it)

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/hobbywing-seaking-marine-reverse-program-brushless-p-403646.html

Bty will prob give you 30 mins of full throttle if you use one for each motor

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/3000mah-lipo-battery-p-405660.html

Also usefull is the programme card for the ESC

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/hobbywing-digital-programming-card-p-403873.html

this save struggling with the tx to programme the esc for the bty/cut off voltage/timing/run mode settings
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for that phil......will now have a good read and totally baffle myself, lol

cheers, neil.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 pm

When your ready to bend your plastic mate give me a shout and I'll ring you and talk you through how to set it all up one suggestion I would make is the prop shafts would be better with a ball race at the inboard end I usually achieve this fairly cheaply by removeing the inboard bush from a standard shaft tube (8mm od) then solder a short length of 8mm id tube over with 3mm protruding beyound the tube end and simply insert a 4 x 8 x 3mm bearing wich I usually source from an "associated Electrics" (AE) stockist (rc cars) as they use them on drive shafts and sell them in pairs MK models being my preffered stockist but only because they are in weymouth and so close enough to visit occaisionally
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 pm

cheers phil.will do.

neil.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:18 pm

finally took the proverbial bull by the horns and got the internal planks fitted today. all 3mm oak cut from a piece of scrap rescued from the skip on site. still to do is lots of sanding and some vertical 5x3mm strips over the frame locations then the whole lot will get a coat or 3 of finishing epoxy to ensure water tightness in the event of a rouge wave. yes she may well get saltwater on her bottom occaisionally

Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Coming along nicely mate. Smile
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:16 pm

cheers matey
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:26 pm

She's starting to look nearly finished now, almost ready for a lick of varnish

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:00 pm

looking great, Phil....are you varnishing or painting it.

neil.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:05 pm

thankyou Neil but you really need to pay attention at the back mate lol!

phil winks wrote:
She's starting to look nearly finished now, almost ready for a lick of varnish

Last edited by phil winks on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct BB code)
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I like it Phil, I like it a lot, nice to see some wood work.

Alan
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Thankyou Alan I must admit she is starting to please me and hopefully her secret weapon in the motor bay will mean a big grin everytime I sail her and the local swan tries to give chase as he is wont to do Twisted Evil and when I've proved my point about brushless boats being capable of being controlled at slow speed as well as light speed the hull is ripe for a nice shiny double acting twin slide valve steam engine I have my eye one for some time next year
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Shes going to look stunning when finished mate.I take my hat off to you sir.!Smile
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:56 pm

thanks for that Chris

Well I finally got some more time on her this afternoon and have made up one of the hatch hinges for the stern locker where the radio gear and steering servo are housed. With luck the other will get done tomorrow along with the catch for said locker hatches then hopefully the painting can start

Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:23 pm

lovely woodworking!!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks mate I have made the other hinge this morning but bad weather has dictated my tools have to go back in the shed and as this makes access to the shed to work impossible the catches for the hatches will have to wait. I have to say I'm well chuffed with the hinges just proves my metal work skills aint died quite yet lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:01 pm

The weather cleared so I dove out and completed the detail around the stern locker hatches and now I'm ready to paint (well stain and varnish) her. The tiller arm is mounted on a tube that slides over the rudder post and engages on the servo arm thus allowing it to be lifted out as the hatches open and still it moves with the rudder

Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Very nice Phil, love the hinges and tiller, but if you don't mind me saying so, it is spoilt by the two cross headed screws, perhaps a 3mm screw put in from underneath with a brass nut on the top with two threads showing through would look better.

Just my thoughts, sorry to be picky

Alan
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 pm

thanks for the kind comment Alan that Point already spotted the screws are a temp measure to make sure the idea works the bolts are on their way to me later this week hopefully dome headed with no slot so they look like a rivet and a little keep on the hatch for the tabs to slide under when locked well thats the plan anyway
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:35 pm

The varnish finish is finally progressing with the application of two coats of stained varnish there are about six or so coats of clear to follow still

Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:39 pm

That looks realy nice Phil, brings the grain out well.

Alan
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks Alan must say I'm pleased with it too really looking forward to getting this one on the water proper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype   

Back to top Go down

"Lady Sarah II" a redesign of the prototype
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Build Blogs!-
Jump to: