TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

River class HMS Forth

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
womble
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

River class HMS Forth Empty
PostSubject: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 4:30 pm

Help needed. I have just completed a scratch built model of HMS Protector (our current ice patrol ship).
When I started over two years ago I envisioned that it might be the last model I would build – I started my first detailed scratch built Ton class minesweeper in 1956. However having been given a 3D printer for my eightieth, part way through the build, i have enjoyed the work and decided I would try another. Searching for this next model gave me the desire to build HMS Forth, a river class OPV that is on long term secondment to the Falklands. It of much the same l.o.l. hence, at the same scale, I could run them both at the same time (from one transmitter). I currently run a 1:45 ton class with a 1:32 Gay class patrol boat, doesn’t look too stupid but not ideal.
Problem. There are plenty of photos of river class ships on the net, from which I can scale the superstructure, but I have not been able to find any of the hull, which looks as if it has an interesting shape above and below the waterline.
Any source ideas would be welcome.
Tony

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth EmptyFri Apr 15, 2022 9:13 am

I've had a search about as it's an attractive looking build and come up short however it's a BAE systems build try them they have a public relations department who may be willing to help. I  may do a Vosper built boat if I do decide to carry on with Boats after the next build and they gave me loads of info on that.
And welcome to the forum it's not a busier as some but more friendlier.

Back to top Go down
womble
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 7:06 pm

Thanks for the thought. However I have found from long experience that if I can't find a person or title to send to, nothing ever comes back. A waste of a stamp and time whether I post or e-mail. Hope you do well with another Vosper boat. My father worked for Vosper's from 1947 to 1981, mainly installing the engines etc. I have modelled a few. Most recent is HMS Gay Bombardier (would have put image here but can't make sense of how to post an image - keep getting "message too long"). The model suffered the same fault as the original ship. Early trials, the speed controllers burnt out! Had to fit a laptop fan to cool the motor room.

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 8:53 pm

You could try Model Boat Mayhem there's a lot of warship builders on there I can't help you further with that though I'm banned in afraid.

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 3:34 pm

Hi Womble,

Welcome to the site.

I have also had a look around  and found this article showing the hull.
I hope this might help.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-forth-revealed-glasgow/

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi Womble,
I forgot to mention about posting photos on this site so here is a ling to the instructions.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t39-uploading-photo-s-tutorial-update-june-2016

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
womble
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth EmptyWed Aug 17, 2022 11:10 am

Thanks Martin 555. That is the best source that I had managed to find. I therefore had to draw out my own plan and frames using photos. One of the most difficult hull I have drawn during 65 years of model making. The bulbous bow pluss strong flare as well as tumblehome made the bow a nightmare. The stern wasn't too easy either with round bilge turning to double concave channels. However, hull is now ready to move to the fiting out dock

Probably time to close this request. River class HMS Forth Hms_fo10

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth EmptyWed Aug 17, 2022 11:32 am

Hi Womble,

Wow! you have done a fantastic job on that hull.

I won't say anything more here I will wait for your build log post.

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River class HMS Forth   River class HMS Forth Empty

Back to top Go down

River class HMS Forth
Page 1 of 1