TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Maquettes Asterix II

Go down 
+3
redpmg
Fred 1948
barriew
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 5:23 pm

How do you do all this and keep such a tidy bench! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 5:58 pm

Its easy - I tidy it before I take the photo lol! lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 9:18 pm

Why didn't I think of that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2022 11:56 am

Special phot for SWAB - this is how my workspace looks when I'm working lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2258

I do normally try to tidy up at the end of each session. Rolling Eyes
As you will see, I've fitted the front deck - made from 2mm liteply. I've also almost trimmed the hull sides. Because I used 0.8mm ply, there was an overhang of the decks and transom to trim back. Not quite finished.
The piece of ply on the worktop is for the forward hull side - still needs more trimming which will be easier now the deck is in place.

Yesterday I went to Homebase for some masking tape and primer spray and a tester pot of emulsion. Despite looking through dozens of testers they didn't have the colour I wanted. . The spray was £12 and the cheapest roll of 24mm tape was £4.50, although there was some at £15 a roll Shocked  I didn't buy the spray and bought some Frog tape for £5.50. In future I'll stick with online ordering. A can of primer is on its way by courier for £4.50. The tester I ordered direct from Dulux post free.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2022 9:07 pm

I've no idea how Homebase survives they are the Waitrose of DIY stores price wise,  Wickes seems to be my go to store but it's heavily industrialised round here there's lots of choice.
There's an American scale modelling podcast that's got a saying about workbenches reaching 'critical mess'  I like that saying it does keep me tidying up (slightly Very Happy).
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2022 1:29 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2259

Good progress this morning Thumbup The first forward side is fixed in place and half the second side. I did these in two parts as I wanted to use epoxy glue to secure the front part to the resin blocks. It also gave me the opportunity to finish trimming the bow.

I also completed sanding back the transom and deck edges. The first side panel went on rather wavy due to my over enthusiastic clamping, so I have added some filler to smooth out the line.

My primer arrived this morning so I should be able to give the hull a quick spray to check for imperfections as soon as I have finished the bows.

Barrie

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2022 8:41 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2260

Second side completed and started filling - more to do yet.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2261

I also trimmed the top edge and discovered a problem. As you can see there is a dip in the deck. Unfortunately I only discovered this when it was too late to stop trimming Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes bounce bounce
I think it will have to acquire a rubbing strip so that I can fill the deck to level it up. There's going to be more P38 than wood in this hull lol! lol!

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2262

I also started trimming the bulwarks to fit the deck - still some way to go on the starboard side, but the port side is almost there. Before I fit them I will add the bulwark supports - it will be easier to get them vertical before they are fitted Rolling Eyes

I also want to install the servo and linkages before the bulwarks make access more awkward.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2022 6:03 pm

Spent a frustrating hour or so today trying to find a suitable place for the servo. There certainly isn't room for a full-sized one unless I mount it right at the front of the compartment.
If I use a mini one, I want to use double connections between the servo and tiller as its quite a big rudder. That means it has to go alongside the tiller, where the hull slopes in both directions  bounce bounce bounce bounce

Did a bit more sanding and filling Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2022 12:51 pm

More time spent on trying to sort out the servo mounting. After yet another attempt to make a mount to sit alongside the tiller, I gave in and moved the servo back and alongside the keel. This means there will only be a single link to the tiller which I hope will be enough to move the rudder.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2263

I then tried out various locations for the remaining bits and pieces, ending up with this 

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2264

I hope I can find a way of mounting a switch so I don't have to remove the deck.

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 12:54 pm

I finished (??) sanding the hull and trimming the sides. I cut and fitted the bulwark supports and the sides are now ready for fixing in place. 
I gave the hull, except the decks, 2 more coats of resin. Given the favourable forecast for the next few days I am keen to get a primer coat on so that I can see how much more filling is needed. I am leaving the foredeck problem for the moment - still thinking how best to fix it.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2265

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 9:30 pm

What's the quality of the wood in this kit Barrie? from the photos it doesn't look too bad.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2022 6:23 am

You're not seeing a lot of it.  Rolling Eyes
Most of what you see is my own - the skins are 0.8 mm birch ply and I've used some 2mm liteply. The kit wood is OK - just seems unnecessarily over spec'd. Those bulwarks are 3.1mm ply with a good surface, but the wheelhouse roof is also 3.1mm thick - the instructions say its 2mm, but its not. It has to bend, so will probably be replaced.
The strip wood is quite good quality also.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2022 12:39 pm

This is part one of my solution to the foredeck problem

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2266

I do not intend to smooth this completely as Part two is

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2267

A new skin of 0.8mm birch ply. This will serve two purposes - sort out the dip and improve the surface as the liteply has a very pronounced grain.

I also trimmed the two pieces of the deck. I still have to decide how to fix these so that they can be removed for access.

Finally I glued the bulwarks to the decks.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2268

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2022 12:41 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2269

Bulwarks fixed and trimmed. There is a problem where they join the bows. The ply is too rigid to twist to align with the bows, so I will have to use filler to fare it in. In this photo the new foredeck has been glued in place - or at least I thought it had Shocked
The glue didn't set - it was old PVA - so I had to clean it off and re-glue with Aliphatic. I hope this sticks Rolling Eyes

There is a rather unsightly line of ply between the hull and bulwarks so I have covered it with some strip wood.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2270

There is a capping to go on the bulwarks, but I want to at least coat them in resin, and possible primer, before fitting it as it will much easier.

Tomorrow I am going to make an effort and go to the lake - I'm not sure if I will make it, but its time I tried. Wink Wink

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2022 8:39 pm

That's salvaged nicely! It's been beautiful here apart from a cutting (at times) wind, I'd go to the lake even if it's only to get out and about we're still avian flu shut outs  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2022 12:27 pm

I removed the tape before setting off for the lake, and it looks as though the new foredeck has stuck 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
A little more filling and trimming and maybe I can move forward with this build.

A nice sunny but bitterly cold day at the lake - Cambridgeshire is so FLAT  lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2022 11:44 am

The deck is well stuck. I have trimmed the edges and filled the voids - waiting for it to go off.

I turned my attention to the wheelhouse. I expected that the sides and front would be cut from 3mm ply, but no - you have to build these items yourself Shocked

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2271

At least they give you a 1:1 scale drawing to build on. Here is the first side.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2272

and here the second side and the start of the front.
There are various sizes of strip wood marked on the drawing, but not all of them are in the box. Even some strips which marked 3x7 mm are in fact 3x5mm. Rolling Eyes

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 6:05 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2273

At Last!! I think I have finished filling and sanding, at least until I get some primer on and see all the problems. Wink
The hull has now had several coats of resin and after a final light sand is ready for the primer.

The components of the wheelhouse have been assembled, I did find some 3x7 mm strip, but no 2mm square which was required. Luckily I had some in my stock Thumbup
The plastic frames don't appear to fit the window cut outs in the rear wall, but I need to check again to see if this is an issue. There are no frames for the front and side windows, so it may look better without them.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 1:07 pm

Finally - some primer has been applied 2thumbsup

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2275 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2274

The finish is not too bad. It will certainly be OK for now. It may need a little attention before I come to paint it.

I continued working on the wheelhouse. I am going to have to make some modifications because I got the level of the deck wrong. I decided against using the window frames, but have fitted the door.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2277 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2276

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 12:53 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2278

Wheelhouse completed - sort of Rolling Eyes You will be surprised to hear that I didn't use the supplied roof. I used some 1.5mm ply instead. lol!
I can't decide if it is supposed to be fixed or removable Shocked I also don't quite know how I am going to paint it and fit the glazing bounce
I think I am going to have to paint it as it is now, fit the glazing, then glue it in place. The problem is there is still more bits to add which can only be done when it is in place.
This really is a most frustrating kit to build, as well as having over-spec'd material.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2022 12:50 pm

Interesting problem this morning. When I finished yesterday the wheelhouse fitted into the cut-out in the foredeck. This morning when I returned to the workshop it didn't bounce bounce Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I had to remove quite  bit of material before it again fitted snugly.
After some filling, most pieces have a hole from the cutting process even if no other filling is required, I gave the hull a coat of resin. I was going to use sanding sealer, but realised I had no cellulose thinners. After that had dried - very quick - I gave it a quick spray of white primer.  My plan is to paint it, then glaze it before fixing in place. 
New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2279

While waiting for things to dry, I started building some of the fittings. So far I have the anchor, the guide for the anchor chain, some lids for boxes the main winch and the life raft. The plastic parts are not impressive. The plastic is quite soft and doesn't sand well. I also built one of four lobster pots. These are going to be fun to paint lol!

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2281 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2280[/url]

Barrie

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2022 12:57 pm

I painted the wheelhouse and installed the glazing. Once the paint was dry I fixed it into the hull. I started filling in the gaps at the side of the wheelhouse as well.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2282

I get the impression this kit was not designed on paper then made. It was designed as it was being built leading to some of the peculiarities.  Rolling Eyes Why wasn't the fore deck carried back the rear of the wheelhouse? There's a 'shelf' in the wheelhouse. If this was put in place before glazing, it would be impossible to glaze the front windows. once in place it can't be painted Shocked

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2022 1:17 pm

It's an anti-Alzheimer built kit. You have to think a lot what and how to do build it and thus  use your 'little grayy cells'  a lot Cool

I think it's quite often. In other cases they got a plan and develope the kit right as the plan was. That the final boats have a lot of differences (and not only details) they don't care.

Nevertheless, although it also looks for me strange the way it has to be built up, it will end up as a nice boat!
Best,
Joerg
Back to top Go down
http://modellwerft.spuelsaum.de/
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 27, 2022 1:24 pm

I've decided this is actually a scratch build with a few ready made comp0nents lol! lol!

More filling in around the wheelhouse. I did some painting - all the white areas have now had one coat. I've also been making some of the equipment. Once again the material supplied doesn't match the instructions, but I think this is how they are supposed to be.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2283

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2284

Barrie

Swab and JoJoElbe like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2022 1:09 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2285

Painting today! I sprayed some if the fittings with grey primer and painted the decks light grey. I also spent some time trying to work out how to keep the large removable deck section flat. It is warped Rolling Eyes I haven't solved that one yet.

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 12:37 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2286

First coat of red on the bottom of the hull. I'm not sure this is the correct shade - I have another similar one that I will try for the second coat. I also gave some of the fittings a coat of steel metallic, plus some green for the winch frames.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2287

I haven't solved the warped deck yet. I may be tempted to just leave it - the boat isn't going to get much use Rolling Eyes

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 9:32 pm

That red is a bit bright but it's over white primer another coat may dull down a bit. Nice looking boat though for all the pain it's putting you through.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 11:12 am

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2288

Two more coats of red this morning. Revell this time. I think the Humbrol was nearer the photo on the box, but I prefer this one. I think it would have been better with a grey undercoat - its still a bit patchy.
Just a red stripe to add and the bulwark caps the the majority of the painting is finished. I was looking at the gantry which holds the net reels - it looks quite complicated and it was too cold in the workshop this morning to attempt it.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 12:46 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2289 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2290

Stripe added and the bulwark cappings added and painted. The deck has been given a coat of matt varnish. The black patch on the fore deck is to go under a glazed skylight Rolling Eyes
The hull is ready for the names and numbers to be added, then a coat of satin varnish to seal everything.
I've been working through more of the fittings. I now have all four of the pots and the radar built, and some searchlights part built. They need stands making from brass rod. 
I have also been working on shaping the mast. What I have noticed is that there are no lights for the mast, just a couple for the navigation lights. Shocked
There are also railings to fabricate. The drawing and instructions show wire ones on the wheelhouse roof, but included on one of the plastic strues were some moulded handrails, so I think I will use those.

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2022 12:56 pm

Today I set out to build the gantry, but soon got sidelined Rolling Eyes. I decided to fit the rudder, which I did and then realised I needed to remove it to fit the propshaft Rolling Eyes Having fit the propshaft I tried to install the motor only to find it sat under the wheelhouse roof Shocked bounce bounce
New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2291

In order to get the coupling on, I had to remove it again and remove about 15mm from the end of the shaft. I was just able to get a driver in to fasten the motor mount plate. There is no other option for the motor, so I am not convinced this was designed as a working model.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2292

I can't decide whether to paint the rudder red or leave it black Rolling Eyes

Having got the motor, rudder and servo installed I decided it was time she had a name, so these were added. I also glued down the hatches on the decks as these give me a 'handle' to remove the decks Thumbup
Finally. I gave all the upper hull sections a coat of Humbrol Satincote to seal the lettering and give a uniform finish. The underside will be treated later.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2293 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2294

Barrie

Fred 1948 and JoJoElbe like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 12:53 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2295

The components of the gantry, plus the mast. All these items have been given a coat of resin to seal them prior to painting.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 4:39 pm

I'd paint the rudder but I've got more than a bit of OCD. La Rochelle eh? cycled there when I was younger and fitter and laid off wished I'd have got a job there and stayed  I'd be retired now.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 1:02 pm

We've been to La Rochelle a couple of times when staying in the Charente. I keep hoping one of our cruises will call, but not been lucky yet.

Not much to show today. I painted the rudder but it didn't cover well, so I gave it a coat of white matt. Grey would have been better but I didn't have a matt grey.
The gantry has had two coats of grey satin. I was going to prime it grey but the weather had other ideas. lol! 
I wound some cord onto the winch drums ready for fixing it to the deck, and assembled the net drums ready for the gantry.
The next big job is making up the railings. I have copied the plan so that I can build them on top - and yes I did do a mirror image as well Shocked

I found a couple of build logs on the internet. French builders - one had the same problem as me with the motor.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2022 11:39 am

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2296

Two sets of railings made and given a coat of white matt. Not my best soldering, but they seem sturdy enough. They still have to be bent to shape to fit round the bows.

I also painted the rudder red - two coats. The last significant item to build is the mast. The gantry is already to install, but before I do that I think I should complete the electrical installation before access gets restricted.

Barrie

JoJoElbe likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 11:20 am

Spent my time installing the electrics etc. After solving the problem of why the rudder hardly moved - the throw had been set to 50% on the TX Embarassed Rolling Eyes - everything worked, but its a mess. Shocked I find it quite difficult to get a tidy installation when the motor, the ESC and the battery all come with fixed leads. As I don't expect this will get a lot of use, I'm doing without a switch and using the fuse as the switch. I was planning to mount the battery, ESC and Rx direct to the hull, but I think I may have to put in a shelf.

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2022 1:09 pm

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2297

Railings installed. They have been painted since I took this photo.

Next - the mast. The kit includes pieces of grey card to make the 'wings' and radar platform, so I used some scrap plastic card Rolling Eyes. It was quite tricky getting them to stick the brass rod supports, which don't show in the photo.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2300

Just as I was packing up my sleeve caught one of the wings and ripped it off Rolling Eyes bounce bounce bounce I had to re-attach it.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2022 12:56 pm

Quite good progress this morning. Thumbup The mast is finished, painted and fixed in position. The lights and aerials are still to be attached - still trying to sort out some lamps. I made, painted and fixed the hand rails for the roof. I decided against the moulded ones - they were 'one-sided' and didn't look right. Some fittings attached to the fore deck, and the main winch and pot hauler also fixed.
I also sprayed the lobster pots with some brown enamel. Its very shiny and will need some matt varnish, or some darker brown paint. 
The main construction job left is the support for the marker buoys, and the buoys themselves.

Barrie

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2301 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2302 
New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2303

Fred 1948 and JoJoElbe like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2022 4:22 pm

Todays Challenge - make this collection of bits 

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2306

and this diagram

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2304

into this

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2309

First job was to flatten the two rings and make them meet. Then after cleaning thoroughly with wire wool, I set up a jig using my vice to hold the rod, and a piece of fire clay with a hole to support the rings horizontally whilst I soldered them. Using solder paste and a small gas torch this went remarkable well Rolling Eyes

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2305

Next, fix the support straps without undoing the joints already made. Rolling Eyes Using a metal clamp as a heat sink, and some low temp solder with an iron, this also went much easier than I had expected.

The pots have had a coat of brown paint - outside only - and a coat of matt varnish. They still look a bit shiny, so more varnish probably required. The life raft and ring have been fixed to the roof with the searchlight and floodlights. I have found a load hailer and will add that, although none is shown.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2308

The rear gantry has been fitted. There are supposed to be supports from the transom rail, but the brass rod supplied is too short, so I will have to raid my stocks. The holder for the buoys is still to be installed permanently. The diagram shows it soldered to a brass plate - no brass plate - and I'm not sure it needs it. I may make a shallow tray to holds the rods in place.

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2311 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2310

I think I have now found sufficient suitable lights for the mast, I just need to paint them. The kit included nav. light boxes to go on the wheelhouse wall, but they are too big, so they will probably go on the roof.

I should be able to finish this tomorrow - which is good because I go away on Wednesday, and I do have one or two other things to sort out before I go Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2022 8:19 pm

Are you going to do any weathering or is she fresh from a refit? 
Where you off too? I think our Gas bill has sunk our chances of going away.   Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2022 6:51 am

My artistic abilities are NIL, so no weathering. 
Off cruising to the North Coast of Spain, then back up West Coast of France. This was paid for in 2021 or even maybe 2020.  lol! 
As a result of Covid our expenditure has gone down. No cruises for more than a year, no theatre or concerts, very little use of the car, and so our money goes on cruises. We have two more booked this year, and are already looking at 2023. I will worry about the gas bill when I see how much its going to cost me. In fact our electricity bill is much more than the gas.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2022 11:37 am

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2313

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2314 New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2315

Finished 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

A day later than planned because the forecast said it was going to rain today, so I decided to get my outside jobs done yesterday - but it hasn't rained today yet. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Its now ready for the test tank, and hopefully a maiden voyage before too long.

I rather wish I had taken more thought over the wheelhouse - it is rather obvious. I wonder if I could get the roof off Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2022 12:42 pm

Quote :
I rather wish I had taken more thought over the wheelhouse - it is rather obvious. I wonder if I could get the roof off New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Icon_eek New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Icon_eek New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
Nevertheless it looks great, just missing a few (or just two probably) fisherman.
Best,
Joerg
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2022 12:45 pm

Thanks Joerg. I think it also needs more 'clutter' on the deck. I will have to investigate after my holiday.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2022 9:12 pm

Have a good break Barrie the boats looking good i do think a bit of weathering will make it come alive.
Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2022 10:02 pm

barriew wrote:
Thanks Joerg. I think it also needs more 'clutter' on the deck. I will have to investigate after my holiday.

Barrie
and a pinch of oil from a fish tin can Cool
Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2022 10:22 pm

Given all the messing about you've had with it, it's turned out beautifully.

Not sure about weathering though, it looks perfect as it is.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2022 8:56 am

I think I should make it clear that I brought a lot of the problems on myself when I failed to properly understand the instructions for making the basic hull framework. However, the three part keel was not a good idea - it made it very difficult to get a correctly aligned hull, especially when the main piece was warped Rolling Eyes

Having got the frame wrong I didn't have much option but to use my own skins. I still think the supplied ply for the skins was to thick - my hull will be much lighter than the kit one.

The diagrams were very good - I hardly used the written instructions. They were in French but even in that language were not very clear - my Google translation didn't improve them Shocked
There were some nice touches in the material for the fittings, but quite a few items were missing, or incorrect size.

All in all I could not recommend this kit, but I am quite glad I bought it, and pleased with the end result.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 1:15 pm

Back from my cruise Thumbup Bearing in mind that on the cruise I travelled the whole of the west coast of France and visited three ports, I had hoped I would see real life examples of the Asterix type of fishing boat. In the end this was the only one that came close, and that wasn't very close Rolling Eyes

New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Img_2317

I was hoping for some ideas for deck clutter. All I can see on this one are boxes - plastic I think.

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 4:58 pm

Most important did you have a good cruise?
Plastic boxes seems to be de riguer for fishing boats Macs mouldings that you put me onto has loads of fishing boat stuff.
Alternatively take it to the club and stop everyone else from sailing most accurate for a French fishing boat. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2022 2:04 pm

A very good cruise thank you! Two highlights - mooring in the middle of Bordeaux (even if it did rain non-stop), and eating oysters and drinking wine on the banks of an estuary in Brittany. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

I've had a look at Macs Mouldings, but he doesn't do 1:20 scale. The boxes would be OK, but I have found a couple of other sources for fish boxes and baskets. I am looking for figures, but I think I need to see if I can remove the wheelhouse roof before adding much more.

Asterix is now ballasted and I've made a clip to hold down the deck, so already for a maiden voyage on Sunday - weather permitting.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Maquettes Asterix II   New Maquettes Asterix II - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Maquettes Asterix II
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Active Build Blogs!-
Jump to: