TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 Empty
PostSubject: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptySun Jan 02, 2022 3:03 am

So I graciously concede defeat with the USS Cincinnati. Too many insurmountable problems too late in the build so it's become yet another handsome shelf dweller. Disappointed? Yes but onward and upward (sort of).

In keeping with my recently developed interest in the naval side of the American Civil War, this will be my next project.

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 Engraving
CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 Open

Confederate Navy ironclad ram the CSS Albemarle from 1864.

Potted specs:
C. S. Ram ALBEMARLE.
Acquisition.--Built on the Roanoke River, N. C., 1864.
Class.--Screw steamer; ironclad; oak and yellow pine, fastened with iron and treenails.
Dimensions.--Length, 158'; beam, 35' 3"; draft - loaded, 9'.
Engines.--Two; horizontal, noncondensing, link motion; geared to propellers by 4 gear wheels. Diameter of cylinder, 18"; stroke 19".
Boilers.--Two; one furnace in each and two elliptical flues and return vertical tubes.
Battery.-- 2 8-inch rifles.
Disposition.--Sunk at Plymouth, N. C., about 3 a.m., October 28, 1864, by a torpedo. Salvaged in 1865 and sold for scrap 1867.

Today has been spent stocking up on stripwood (cheaper this time - B&Q) and playing with a CAD program while I wait for my order of 2mm ply and propeller shafts to be delivered. 
This is what I have so far.

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 Albemarle-Drawings

I see this as a much simpler prospect than the Cincinnati with less things to go wrong - 2 motors, 2 screws, 1 rudder and not much else. This one might even work!! Shocked

This will be in approx. 1/72 scale, making the completed model just over 26" long. 

Quick note for any potential rivet counters (not that there would be such a thing in such a fine establishment as this)
There are very few actual photos of this vessel in service, let alone plans and even the usually resourceful internet has brought up images of many different designs so as far as I'm concerned, if it looks right it is right and no-one alive can argue with me.

I'm hoping to start the build in the next few days.

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptySun Jan 02, 2022 8:43 am

Hi Vigo

I do like you enthusiasm for this side of the American Civil War, I for one is looking forward tyo you build.

Fred
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptySun Jan 02, 2022 3:20 pm

I for two want to see this I still think you should refit the Cincinnati it's too nice for a shelf queen. I've been reading a bit of ACW history while I've been off and incapacitated with the lurgi there's some evidence of the first use of battleship gray!.
Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2022 10:34 am

Sorry to interrupt could Swab please P/M me its with regards to the F14 radio.

Fred
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2022 1:59 pm

Sorry Fred I'm not doing PM's any more one more build and I'm out of boats permanently I wont be buying any more gear.
Sorry for the thread hijack Vigo!

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2022 11:56 pm

And so it begins....

Just finished setting fire to some bits if scrap ply in the garage. I'm sure all this smoke isn't good for me, so much for giving up the ciggies then Rolling Eyes

This is the state of play at the end of tonight's session. Not much to show for 2 hrs work.

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220104-1

Hopefully some more wood will arrive tomorrow so I can make more smoke Twisted Evil

Incidentally. Has anyone here used Cascamite powder? I found a tin of it earlier in the garage that my dad bought but I've no idea how old it is - maybe 4 or 5 yrs. I remember I used it on the first boat I built about 40 years ago and that one's still solid as a rock. Does it go off in the tin over time?

barriew and Fred 1948 like this post

Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 9:21 pm

More wood, more smoke.

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220105-1

I even had a go at building a small lifeboat.... Mk2 needed  Embarassed

barriew likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 9:02 am

Vigo - the lifeboat looks as though its already had a disaster! 
I used Cascamite in the 1950s to build a couple of boats with my Dad. Back then the only alternative was hot glue! If the powder is still dry in the tin I don't see why it wouldn't still be OK.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 2:03 pm

Yeah the lifeboat.......

Not exactly my finest work!
Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2022 6:57 pm

So Mk2 lifeboat is built and primed, all decks are cut and waxed, superstructure (casement) and pilot house are built, brass rudder cut and fitted and now I'm waiting for Mr postman to deliver me 2 new prop shafts and a nice new servo.

In the meantime, I've decided to start cladding the hull.

The story so far....

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220111-1

barriew, Fred 1948 and Full Ahead like this post

Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2022 1:21 pm

Today the postie delivered my nice new shiny servo which unfortunately isn't the same size as the one advertised. No matter, it still fits... just.
I've almost finished cladding the hull but I can't go any further with it until the shafts arrive so today I've been doing a bit of filling and fitting.

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220112-1

I need to look at how the casemate fits onto the hull as this will be a permanent fitting and I'm not too happy with it at the moment. I still have an 'armour belt' to fit around the top of hull so maybe I can extend that to cover the gaps at the base of the structure itself. After all, there's no empirical evidence that the original ship wasn't like that so if it does the job and looks the part who's to argue?

Problems, problems.... Still, it's getting there.

Incidentally, the lifeboat is actually a sliding on/off switch for the electrics. Forwards for on, backwards for off. Sneaky eh? Thumbup

barriew likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2022 6:07 pm

This is pretty rapid progress  2thumbsup Coming along very nicely.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2022 8:59 pm

Do you take performance enhancing drugs or something of have you got a team of minions doing your bidding? your building speed is better than a Korean shipyard! plus it looks good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2022 11:11 am

No drugs in this household any more apart from boring prescription ones Sad, no minions either save my good self and I love my dog too much to be Korean.

So onwards and upwards with CSS Albemarle. This is the result of this morning's hour or so messing about in the garage prior to another night shift bed time:

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220117-1

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220117-2

Everything is placed purely for aesthetic and photographic purposes at this point, obviously the davits will be a bit more vertically inclined when the appropriate time comes and the superstructure will be properly seated. There is going to be a lot of finish fitting to do when those appropriate times do come but at this point I'm thinking more about ballast and therein lies a problem. Daft sod here a) forgot to remove the temporary guide prop shafts when I cladded the hull and b) forgot to mark where said shafts actually exit the hull. Therefore this vessel is not yet sink test worthy but at least it's skimmed, sanded smooth and primed. I think I may etch (draw) some planks on it just to look good but then again, maybe I won't. I haven't decided yet.

Finishing the hull is going to an be interesting exercise either way because I need to work out first where b) should have happened and then execute a) before fitting the real shafts - which still haven't arrived, Come on Postie.... then I can ballast the beast, fix the decks in place and jiggle the superstructure to fit - with or without the additional armour belt. 

Still, I'd rather be doing this than trying to solder 2 pairs of tiny 3mm wiper blades onto a 2mm scale locomotive body. Model railways eh? Who'd have 'em? Too many anoraks and rivet counters over there. Like I said earlier, there are no plans or reliable pictures of this vessel anywhere that I can find to Mr Anorak and his friend Mr counter both can .... (expletive deleted). Don't get me wrong, I still 'do' trains but to me this feels so much more relaxing and rewarding.... even if they do end up as shelf queens Crying or Very sad

barriew and Fred 1948 like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2022 7:46 pm

Night shift? bane of my life I could handle 2-10 but nights killed me. Your opinion of rivet counters has put you high in my esteem Vigo I can understand passion for detail but when it becomes religious it's time to go!  Very Happy
That looks menacing by the way in a good way of course!
Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2022 8:58 pm

A normal 10-6 night shift wouldn't be so bad really, it's the 7-7 that does me in.
I'm getting too old for this😴
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2022 9:18 pm

12 hour continentals - proof Satan exists!  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 1:18 am

So this is the state of play with the 'Good Ole Alby' 

The build is effectively complete. I'm still waiting delivery of some anchors, some prop shaft couplings and a pair of rather dinky 20mm propellers.

Unfortunately, until they arrive I can go no further. I can't permanently fit the rear deck or the superstructure because I need the access to the inside so this how she looks right now with the appropriate bits placed appropriately. I've not bothered with a proper paint job yet on the lower hull because think I may need to mess about with the shafts and the props once they arrive.

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220123-1

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220123-2

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220123-3

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220123-4

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 20220123-5
Specs:
Length 26"
Beam 6⅜"
Power: 2x MAF 280/5 motors via a 7.2v battery pack, Viper ESC and sometime soon hopefully 2x 20mm counter rotating props. 
All Up Weight: 4.2Kg but I'm hoping for a little less once the shed loads of 'concrete' ballast dries out fully. Either way, she looked good and rode well on the 'sink test'.

Without wanting to come across as overly modest, I think she looks pretty good so far. Not too bad from an idea to this stage in 22 days. The remainder is in the hands of the Royal Mail. That's this project buggered then.... Rolling Eyes

BTW Anyone spot the glaringly obvious yet completely stupid non deliberate mistake?

barriew, Fred 1948 and Full Ahead like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 8:03 pm

22 days!!!!!!!!! My smartass phone keeps showing pictures of 'on this day 1 year ago' of the Orca and it's still not finished! you've got to show photos of it afloat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864   CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864 Empty

Back to top Go down

CSS Albemarle - Confederate Navy ironclad ram 1864
Page 1 of 1