TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Member starting build on Aqua Riva.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveC
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

New Member starting build on Aqua Riva. Empty
PostSubject: New Member starting build on Aqua Riva.   New Member starting build on Aqua Riva. EmptyMon Nov 29, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi there.Spent a lot of my time restoring classic racing motorcycles but now decided to do some model boat building.Have just purchased an Aqua Riva one tenth scale kit which is a superb product and very detailed.I am already into the build but before I get to the planking I am unsure what to do about making it water tight.I think I should first treat the inside of the first layer of planking with some form of resin but would welcome any advice
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Waterroofing Aquarama   New Member starting build on Aqua Riva. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 8:40 am

Great choice of model.  I completed mine in October, which should have been August because I did not spend enough time waterproofing the inside!  It does tend to take on water at speed in turns so waterproofing inside is crucial to stop first layer planking expanding.  The other piece of advice I would give at this stage is to drastically reduce the weight forward of the c of g.  Otherwise it will appear nose down when stationary in the water.  You can do this by reducing the excess in the forward cabin and making the frames and floors look like a Swiss cheese.  Hope this helps.  Paul
Back to top Go down
DaveC
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Waterproofing Aquarama   New Member starting build on Aqua Riva. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 11:34 am

Hi Paul, thanks for your advice. I now realize though that I will  have a problem with regard to waterproofing inside as I have followed  the build instructions and although I have not started planking I will be unable to access the inside of some areas. Silly me , I should have thought about this first. However it is what it is as they say so will just hope I can waterproof successfully enough from outside  to prevent taking on any water. By the way, what do you use for waterproofing the outside?.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: New Member starting build on Aqua Riva.   New Member starting build on Aqua Riva. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 1:15 pm

I had the same issue re putting cabin on which made it very difficult to get waterproofing in!!!
I used International varnish 6 coats first and last 2 with thinners, carefully rubbed down between coats.  Below the waterline I used very thin fibre glass and "Deluxe Materials Eze-Kote" from Amazon - excellent and have used it on my last three projects.
Back to top Go down
DaveC
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Waterproofing Aquarama   New Member starting build on Aqua Riva. EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Thanks for the information which will prove very useful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member starting build on Aqua Riva.   New Member starting build on Aqua Riva. Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member starting build on Aqua Riva.
Page 1 of 1