TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vic Smmed "Guardsman"

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 4:41 pm

Could you put the battery in the cabin and ballast accordingly? a longer battery connector is needed though   Question

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2022 3:27 am

Hi One & All
Thinking on the battery I am just going to leave it were it is, make up some new leads so that when it needs a charge I can just plug in a charging lead, O.K it means that I will have lost a 6 volt battery but in the end I will have saved some building time,

I have now got a small 6 volt smoke unit for her, unfortunately it is an oil type never mind.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Not Happy   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2022 3:14 pm

Hi One & All

I have now come to the decision that I am not at all happy with the way this build is going, so I am just going to take a rest from it, I may come back to it at some point in time but for now it will be sent to the back of the yard ( to the end of the garage).

Fred

Back to top Go down
JoJoElbe
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2022 3:28 pm

Hi,
I don't know if I missed part of the battery/accu diskussion, but dealing with 6V you can also use 2S LiFePO, they should be as safe as NiMH cells and can be much smaller:

I use these:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-2100mah-2s1p-20c-lifepo4-transmitter-pack-futaba-t14sg-4pk.html

(unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment, but I'm running the 9.5 Lifeboat from Graupner with them, 2nd year now, never had problems)

They are much lighter and smaller in size than NiMH (even 5 cells).

Best, Joerg

Back to top Go down
http://modellwerft.spuelsaum.de/
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 6:27 am

Hi Joerg

Thank you for your suggestion with regards to the battery's, its just that I seem to have problems along the way, most of them have been down to me, so it is time to take a step back and recharge my self.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi One & All
For the last few days I have been working out the placement of the deck, I must have marked out the deck line on the hull three or four times before I was happy with it, as I was fixing the deck beams I kept checking that the beans were true and level to the top of the hull, and yes when I tried fitting the deck it still looked like a banana, high at the ends and low in the middle.
So next week I am off the Sussex Models to get a stock of balsa wood in and make a new Guardsman in wood.
Will post updates as I go along.
Fred

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 pm

That's a bit drastic Fred how far is the deck out?

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 8:16 am

Hi Swab

The deck must be a least 1/4 -1/2 an inch out, by all accounts it is a problem a lot have had when making this model, anyway on one of the other forums it has bee said that if I was to put a straightedge onto the plan I will see that the deck does in fact dip in the middle, I now have to try and remove the beams again, take new fixing point from the plan with the new straight line transfer them onto the hull. and with any luck I should now have a true level deck.

I have a deans kit of HMS Bulldog that is the same, but when I got my hands on the writeup on her it stated that this is just one of the problems with the kit.
Its all in the day for a model boat build, 

Fred

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 9:22 pm

There's 10mm rise from stern to bow on the Waverley (roughly i didn't measure too close i was using the daughters little mermaid rule that's found its way on my bench) barely noticeable really.
I'd fight this kit back and correct it show it who is boss Fred.

Fred 1948 and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 6:19 am

Hi Swab
I will in time, its just that I have a Lady "T" & a Liberty ship sitting there part built for the last three years, that I now fill that I should but to bed.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 13, 2022 9:03 am

Hi Fred,
I have just been catching up on this build log.
How is it coming along now ?
Remember if i can help in any way just give me a shout.

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 13, 2022 6:42 pm

Hi Martin

Glad that you are back with us, look forward to seeing some of your figures.

As for the Guardsman when I fitted the deck there was a dip halfway along the deck, giving it a look as if it had broken its back, so I have put it onto the shelf for the time being.

Some time back one of the fast electrick guy's broadsided my St Canute Tug and sent it to Davey's Jones locker that was when I lost all interest in boats, last week I picked up a very bad made Aero-naul Pilot Boat, so I have started a refurb on her to just get me back into modeling.

Keep Safe

Fred

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2022 8:54 am

Hi Fred,

Thank's 
I seem to recall you were having problems with your Guardsman.

As for your St Canute Tug I can clearly understand how it would put you off of model boats.
Hopefully the Pilot boat will help to get you motivator again.
As you probably know I Skype a lot of us model making guys and help out where I can so if you need any help or motivation then give me a shout.

Are you going to post your Pilot boat renovation. ?
I am sure the other members here would love to see it too.

Martin555.

Fred 1948 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2022 1:51 pm

Hi Martin

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, I did have the pilot boat before but passed it on to some one else. this one came up so I made an offer (no horse head involved) which he accepted, when I got it home and did a leak test I had most of the water inside the hull, that is when I started the refurb, as I had intended to only have it as a fun boat I did not take any photos, when I started the refurb I am sorry to say the last thing on my mind was a refurb log, still it has done the trick and got me back into building again, on Saturday I restarted the MMM Lady "T" and done some more on the Deans Liberty ship.

As for the pilot boat I have tried making my own waterslides transfer's will let you know how it all went later.

I am also on Skype and Zoom. my skype name is fredellis900 

Keep Safe

Fred

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14, 2022 2:57 pm

Hi Fred,

I am glad you have been re-motivated.
Will you be posting your progress on your builds.?

We will have to arrange to have a chat on Skype soon.

Martin555.

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2022 6:20 pm

Hi Fred,
What is the progress on the Guardsman ?
You have probably already told me but I cannot remember.

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2022 7:33 am

Hi Martin
I have put her up onto the shelf for the time being, along side the Bulldog, will come back to them at some time.

Fred

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2022 12:20 pm

Hi Fred,
When you do get back to them it will be like looking at them with fresh eyes.

Martin555.

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Restart   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2023 3:36 pm

Hi One & All

So as I made the mistake of printing out the drawings for the winter build wrong, I have had a look again at the Guardsman, 
This Wednesday I refixed the deck, then on the Thursday afternoon I refixed the grating over the rudder post, as the Guardsman was first released in 1982 the servo's of the day were on the large side, so in the original rudder horn and linkage was placed above the deck, as I am using a mini servo I have tried to fit it under the deck, now this had made the bulwark a bit on the low side, hope she does not take on to much water and the freeing ports work fingers crossed.

Photo one is of the grating and the start of the stanchions

Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 _dsc4110

Phot two is of the deck housings tried out for fit and look.

Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 _dsc4111

Fred
Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Decking   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 25, 2023 2:24 am

Hi
So I have now finished the plancking of the deck, not one of the best I think.

Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 S7300410Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 S7300411

Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 S7300412

Just had to see how she looks with the deckhousing

Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 S7300341
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vic Smmed "Guardsman"   Vic Smmed "Guardsman" - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Vic Smmed "Guardsman"
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3