TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grand Banks Schooner .

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 11:56 am

Very nice Ivor.
Well worth all the effort and she looks really good on the water.
It is always nice to follow a build and then to see it on the water.
You have done a great job.
Well done.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 5:09 pm

She's a looker Ivor good choice of sail colour as well.

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 8:40 am

Thanks lads........ praise indeed from such a lofty position too such as I Rolling Eyes.....but alas my watch will be called when yours has retired Embarassed but thank you none the less .........

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 8:56 am

Hi Ivor,
I am sure you could squees your skills a little more and produce another boat.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 5:07 pm

If you're not going to build any more I'd go into the refurbishment side of things and start adding features and upgrades to your existing fleet.

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 5:00 pm

I suspect that will be the course I plot Swab , like the Rn , my fleet are in permanent refurb programs Idea

Today I spent most of the time resetting sails and fittings in the bow , so looks like its already started eh ....

how are you feeling now ?

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 5:38 pm

Hi Ivor,
I hope you post your refurbishments.
It would be interesting to see.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 7:26 pm

Swab wrote:
She's a looker Ivor good choice of sail colour as well.
Born from necessity swab , its surprising how far a pair of pillowcases can go when recycled as sails for models  Thumbup

ivorthediver and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 2:06 pm

Looking forward to Sunday as my fellow club member who advises me on sailing craft could not make it sadly , but I sent him some photo's and made a few alterations , to the rigging [ which was jury rigged Embarassed] and so all being well he will be able to attend this week and check her out himself .

One of the benefits of the current period being that you can send images of your progress to each other and he being an Apple man helps even more bless him [ but dont tell him that or he may start charging me affraid.....

See what you think ............Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 Bb9f2b10
Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 15ba1a10

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Looking good Ivor - I hope to be at the lake on Sunday to see it in action.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 2:13 pm

Look forward to seeing you there Barrie........ and the elusive lifeboat to I trust ? 2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 7:47 am

Hi Ivor,
Your schooner really looks the business.
I hope with the rigging tweaks that you have done she sail to your liking.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Well my college was there today and we quickly knocked up a list of things to be changed but all positive comments .

Nice to see Barrie there and his models as always performed well and displayed to the delight of all present 2thumbsup

So this week will involve a few tweaks and the purchase and fitting of a servo morph from component to stretch the travel on the arm of the servo to the place I need it to be at and at the price charged is a good investment as the one I fitted in the Pellew was removed from another sailing model .

hope the attached display her favourably EmbarassedGrand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 B45a3610
Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 9e9e5710
Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 681ae210

Martin555 and ColinH like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi Ivor,
There looks as if there was very little wind.
But she does look good.

Will you be posting some photos of the changes as you go.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 9:53 am

Went out last week and in the meantime I fitted a gash topsail above the mainsail , and the difference in control was surprising , so ever after that which you dream of I added another topsail above the forward mast which I hope to try out this coming weekend .

The sides of the bottom spar is linked each side to the top of the gaff sail behind via light lines and clips so that should the need arise they can be removed and the topsails unclipped also to revert back to the as built format .

the attached docent really show this detail very clearly but you get the general idea .
Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 Af192610

Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 675f5210

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 am

Hi Ivor,

I know next to nothing about sail boats but she looks really great.
And i bet you love sailing her.

Unsure about the blue peg though.LOL!!

Martin.
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:46 am

Been reading this post so far and realised that I had reconfigured the mast fittings without advising , so this is what I did to reconfigure the mast / transport of her .

Whilst moving her in and out of the workshop I realised that this model was not that much different in size to "Pellew"' my other sailing model , which with a little care and application fits into my boot and after a small amount of "packing " around her to support her manages to get back and forth without to much difficulty  and more importantly  DAMAGE affraid .

So at this stage I secured the screw  bottle fittings with a dab of CY  and replaced the deadeyes with small carabiner style fasteners [again from Amazin ] and as you can see on the model blended in quite well if not perfectly should I wish to remove the masts at some stage and if the rigging is unclipped can be completely removed temporarily .

If you look at the cross trees at the top of the masts the upper masts when fully extended are retained in position by two 50mm thin brass pins with thin chain soldered on one end  passed through small holes drilled through the bottom of these masts just above the  cross trees bottom plate and the upper ratlines position the upper masts nicely when moved up and down .

When we go to the lake these pins  are withdrawn and the upper masts slide down allowing enough room to store both in the workshop and the car boot ------saving me about a foot in height , and should I need to the bowsprit can be shortened in a similar fashion Thumbup.

Apart from the Jumbo and farad / main masts ALL the other sails are removable [ depending on sailing conditions / Wind - ] and are held in their desired position by small S/S spring clips about 10mm long or very small lobster clips used in jewellery about 5mm long and whilst not ideal for arthritic hands and be worked [ with a lot of attendant bad language ] these include all the front sails fitted to the Bowsprit , the upper gaff sails , and the recently added two Top sails , so my sailing options are many and varied [ sadly the winds thus far have mainly been low or non existent , which is why the motor was fitted should I need to get the Schooner shore side .

I hope that has eased the puzzled looks some of the sailing members may have had whilst viewing the model and apologise for misleading you up till now ..

I Trust my colleagues suffering from pain and ill health are feeling a bit better of late and continue with their chosen hobby as best the
y can until they improve , and it goes without saying that I wish them all a rapid improvement both mentally and physically .....don let it grind you down , I know how you feel and hope the "ratio" of good / bad days improves rapidly 2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 2:54 pm

Great explanation Ivor thank you.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 24, 2021 5:05 pm

Well contented with the changes made to my top Sail schooner as she now stands and she will remain as this style and she handles well even in some quite dramatic winds given her size , so time to move on to my last build now , and this will be in the style of a square rigged 18th C ship of the line .......

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 24, 2021 6:14 pm

Hi Ivor,
I am glad you are happy with the the Scooner and the way she it rigged.

Do you plan on making the square rigger RC ?

The worrying bit is you said "my last build"

Martin.
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 9:23 am

yes scratch built plank on frame from plans 1/96 scale so about hull length of 30 ins , and certainly my last build before I am unable to build anymore due to health issues [ always assuming  I complete her before I am on the scarp yard ]

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 9:29 am

Hi Ivor,
Sorry to hear about the health issues.

It seems when we finally retire and get the time to really enjoy our hobby we are then hindered by things to stop us.

I am already looking forward to the Square rigger Build Log.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 5:45 pm

Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 Dscf4210
Here's my second version of a Sarik Hull , but this was heavily modified , by increasing the freeboard by 75% and changing the sail plan layout .
Hope you agree that she sails and looks much better ....but I will need to ask Barrie to insert the picture for me

Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2022 2:00 pm

Hi Ivorthedriver
Looks good, well done sir.

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grand Banks Schooner .   Grand Banks Schooner . - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Grand Banks Schooner .
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2