TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brede Lifeboat

Go down 
+3
barriew
gribeauval
Swab
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyFri Apr 23, 2021 11:08 am

Brede Lifeboat Img_2055

This is my latest project -  a Brede Class Lifeboat from Mountfleet Models. Fibre glass hull and superstructure and a pretty comprehensive kit of parts including moulded window frames. It is only just over 50 cms long which is why I selected it. Most of the Lifeboat kits are much bigger. It is the most expensive kit I have ever bought, so it had better turn out well. Shocked  Rolling Eyes

The hull and superstructure are nicely moulded with no blemishes, BUT there is a lot of flash.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2057 Brede Lifeboat Img_2056

I had a little go at removing some of this, and was soon through the gel coat, so will have to be careful.

The first real job is making a stand, and ordering some motors. I had thought of using brushless, but it is twin prop which makes that option quite expensive, so I think I will go with 385's on a single Mtroniks ESC with a single 7.4 volt LiPo for power.

The manual warns that access is limited after the deck is fitted, so careful planning of the motor and servo installation is required lol!

I think this will be a slow build - I'm finding it quite hard to get interested in anything at present.

Barrie

Martin555 and ColinH like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyFri Apr 23, 2021 4:37 pm

I love lifeboats my tastes run to the older types but I'll be watching this one.
You have my sympathies I'm monumentally bored with everything at the moment.

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 1:10 pm

The stand is made - a bit crude due to lack of more suitable materials, but it will suffice for building. Not quite as rough as it appears in the photo - the ends have now been screwed Shocked Rolling Eyes I have also removed all the flash from the hull. I have also sanded down the top edge of the hull. I am always slightly nervous about doing this as its not always obvious where the line is. I think I got it right Rolling Eyes  I have also washed the hull to get rid of any release agent.
My motors arrived this morning - only ordered from Component Shop yesterday. 2thumbsup  The kit includes two nice brass propellers - I need to check if they are the same 'hand'. In fact after buying the electrics I don't think I will need to buy anything else apart from paint.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2060 Brede Lifeboat Img_2062 Brede Lifeboat Img_2061

You will notice that this is a very lightweight hull - not much glass cloth I think.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 1:50 pm

My Christmas present was from mountfleet I agree the hulls are a bit slimline.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 12:49 pm

I have stuck the templates to the sheet of liteply ready for cutting out - no die or laser cutting here Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat Img_2063

Next I worked on the A frames to make them fit the prop shafts. Drilled the holes for the rudders and prop shafts, then opened out the shaft holes. The position of the first A frame was marked and pilot holes drilled before opening up with a file. The centre of the shafts is not in line with the rudders! The first side has been tacked in place with super glue. Once the second side is ready, I will fix everything with P40.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2064 Brede Lifeboat Img_2065

The props are handed 2thumbsup

Barrie

Swab, Martin555 and ColinH like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 pm

Today I fitted the other prop shaft and rudder. After they were tacked in place with CA, I mixed up some P40 to secure them on the inside. A small amount of filler required on the outside.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2066 Brede Lifeboat Img_2067

I hope that the port shaft is NOT aligned as it appears in that photo. If it is, it will have to be re-made Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes
After fitting the propshaft I had to modify the rear part of the stand to allow for the shafts Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat Img_2068

Next job is to cut out the formers and glue in the bearers for the deck. These are balsa and will probably need steaming.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 10:06 pm

The rudders are supposed to be offset to the outside of the line of the shafts.

This was to allow the shafts on the full size boat to be removed without having to dismantle the rudder systems as well.

Mike

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 am

Thanks Mike - I knew that the offset was deliberate. Didn't want anyone to think I had got it wrong lol!

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Brede Lifeboat Img_2069

So - I didn't start to fix the deck bearers. lol! I realised I needed to install the motors, servo and rudders before I restricted access. Rolling Eyes  This was going well until I damaged to second coupling Shocked Rolling Eyes New ones have been ordered. Next up is to work out the linkage for the rudders. I am a little concerned as I don't think I will have access to the tillers once the deck is on. The pencil line indicates the edge of the rear deck.

Hopefully going sailing tomorrow, so time to think about how to solve this problem.

Barrie

Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 7:08 am

Brede Lifeboat Img_2070

The basic linkage for the rudders is installed. I was going to use a mini servo but I'm not sure it will be strong enough. I do have this old Acoms standard one, but mounting it will be a problem, so I have ordered a metal geared mini version. When I get it, I'll decide which to use Rolling Eyes

I am still concerned about access to the tillers when the deck is on. I have replaced some slot headed brass screws in them with steel grub screws which should be a bit more positive if I have to access them from the hatch. I am considering adding two small hatches over the tiller heads. There is a resin moulding which should cover one, and a life-raft or box at the other side.

I will work on the deck bearers until my servo arrives.

Barrie

Its interesting how different photo angles can deceive. If you look at the previous photo the starboard motor looks to be pretty well aligned. In this photo it looks to be badly out of line Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I hope it is just the photo angle Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 9:40 am

How did the sailing go?
Even access that needs a gynaecologist is important as you never know what's going to happen.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi SWAB,

Sailing was a disaster lol!  I took three new boats and none of them would work Rolling Eyes  It was so cold that I really couldn't be bothered to try and fix them at the lake. Turns out it was a silly mistake. My Tx has 20 memories, also the system has two modulation schemes. When I set them up I used some spare slots in the Tx. Some time later I decided to re-organise the slots and delete those for models I no longer have, substituting the new models. BUT I forget to change the modulation scheme Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
At least the car got a reasonable run rather than just a few local miles 2thumbsup

Some more progress on the Brede - the bearers for the deck have been fitted. Only the front 'T' beams are fixed - the rest will wait until the servo is installed. Looking at the other cross beams I think the instructions were wrong. They said to fit the deck edge bearers first, but the beams are designed to fit to the hull. Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat Img_2071

My couplings arrived this morning, so tomorrow I will fit those.

I think if I cut two hatches in the rear deck I will be able to manoeuvre the tillers onto the rudder shaft if necessary. The hatches can disguised by the fittings.

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Sat May 01, 2021 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Where do you sail then? last week at Bournville was a disaster I took my yacht out (Graupner True Blue)and it was too windy for it I spent most of the time heeled right over and unsteerable as it's a fair weather yacht not a professional type. The frames look good by the way!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 1:04 pm

We have two lakes - one in Cambridge and the one I went to near St Neots. That's quite a long trek for me. It was quite windy yesterday - I'm not sure how the models would have got on as they are quite small. I may try Cambridge tomorrow if the weather is OK - that lake should be more shielded, and is nearer.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon May 03, 2021 12:31 pm

I didn't get to Cambridge - full of cold Sad

My new couplings did arrive. so I fitted them instead.  

Brede Lifeboat Img_2073

Now waiting for the new servo, although I have started to make a template for the deck, so could finish that and cut out the deck. I also need to look at some resin moulded rubbing strakes. There is so much flash on them it difficult to see what shape they should be Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyThu May 06, 2021 12:32 pm

The servo arrived. It was described as a mini metal geared servo - its actually a full size metal geared servo Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  I have made a shelf to mount it on, and sorted out the linkages. I plan to mount the receiver on the shelf, and the remainder of the electrics on a board forward of the motors. I am really going for as neat an installation as possible.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2074

Quite a bit of the wiring will be out of sight

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 08, 2021 12:38 pm

I'm a bit stuck waiting for wire. I don't have the correct gauge so have had to order it. I decided to try and fit the remaining framing for the deck, and have come across a problem

Brede Lifeboat Img_2075

The hull is not symmetrical Rolling Eyes I've checked the forward frames and they are 'square', but there is 5mm difference between the two sides of the rear beam to the stern moulding Shocked Shocked  I don't see that there is anything I can do about it. The opening for the cabin is square, so I will just have to adjust the rear deck. Shocked

You will notice the side beams are bowed - ideally I would remake in 3mm liteply but don't have any, so have added a stiffener.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2076

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySun May 09, 2021 2:02 pm

A slight problem Rolling Eyes  I fixed the batten to the wrong side of one beam Embarassed Embarassed Shocked  So I cut another one, and surprise! - I found some 3mm liteply Thumbup
I had trouble lining everything up, but I think I have now got it square and all glued in place.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2077

I then checked my deck template, and cut out the deck from ply. It took quite a bit of trimming to get it to fit. Marking the opening was done by measuring - and I made a slight error at the stern, but it can be rectified. The long edges of the hatch opening still need trimming. I will not glue the deck down until I have finished wiring up.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2078

Barrie

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySun May 09, 2021 3:50 pm

hi barrie,

glad to see you finally go for a lifeboat. the brede is a nice boat. i built mine from all card many years ago from glyn guest book small radio control boats the drawings are not to scale, but you would have enjoyed building as its only 15 inches long . it sails brilliant in my garden pond. also have you seen the build of it in model boats sept 2002 from k and s models, very good detail if you would like a scan let me know.

Brede Lifeboat Dscf4110

david

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySun May 09, 2021 8:10 pm

David

Good to hear from you! I've been waiting for a small enough lifeboat so I could build one. I did actually build one some time ago, but sold it - that was a Tyne Class, I think from a David Metcalfe kit, but I'm not sure.
This is actually the K&S models version, but now being sold by Mountfleet Models, so a scan of the article would be very useful.

Best wishes,

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon May 10, 2021 12:38 pm

The hatch opening has been trimmed and I have cut two access hatches in the stern to give me a chance of accessing the tillers in case of need. They are not in the ideal location but should at least allow me to see what is happening.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2080

and here is how they will appear under the mouldings

Brede Lifeboat Img_2079

I then turned my attention to the spray rails which are supplied as resin mouldings.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2081

This is how they were delivered. The instructions state that you sand off the excess flash Shocked  There is actually more flash than actual spray rail Shocked Shocked  

This is almost how they will look after they have been trimmed.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2082

The lower one still needs work, the upper one hasn't been started. These must win the prize for the most wasteful resin mouldings ever.

My new wires arrived today so that's the next job.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm

hi barrie, 
just sent you the scans of the brede  on the email i have used before when sending scans.  i also built the tyne from model boats magazine from scratch  from hull upwards, but will not let it go i like it so much Very Happy

david

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue May 11, 2021 12:59 pm

David, you could be right - maybe my Tyne was scratch build Rolling Eyes

I started on the wiring this morning but didn't quite finish it as I was late starting after a plant shopping expedition.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2083

Just the neutral from the motors to the ESC to add, and the signal wires to route and fix. I will give the servo shelf a coat of resin first so I can use sticky Velcro to fix the Rx. I haven't fixed the forward tray as I was leaving it in case I needed to add ballast below it. However, It wont come out easily with all the wiring, and reading the article in MB that Davidjt sent me, there could be an issue with weight so ballast is unlikely to be required. I'll fix it down as soon as I finish the wiring.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue May 11, 2021 9:31 pm

Have you considered using brushless motors or are you not a fan?

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed May 12, 2021 6:44 am

That was my intention until I costed it. It would have been more than double, even buying cheap from China. With brushless you can't run two motors from one ESC.
I have brushless in one of my models, and if I build anymore single screw then I will probably go brushless.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue May 18, 2021 4:47 pm

At last - after mine and my wife's highly satisfactory brush with the NHS - I managed to put in an hour on Brede 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

I have now finished the installation of the electrics except for some tidying up once the lid is on.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2085

I also had another look at the spray rails and was horrified at the amount of resin still to remove.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2084

The deck is ready to glue down - I am trying to decide what glue to use. I am thinking of using aliphatic on the framework, but slow set epoxy round the edge. Watch this space Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyThu May 20, 2021 12:55 pm

Brede Lifeboat Img_2086

The deck is down - waiting for the glue to dry. In the end I didn't have enough epoxy for the whole of the edge, so had to use aliphatic for the middle section.
Next job is to add coamings to the hatch, and fill and sand the edges.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyFri May 21, 2021 11:03 am

Brede Lifeboat Img_2089

The deck is stuck Shocked 2thumbsup The coamings have been added, and when the glue is dry I can fill and sand the deck edges.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2088

I applied a sanding drum in my Dremel to the first spray rail, and used a coping saw on the second to remove the bulk of the waste. Both need additional sanding to fit them to the hull.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyFri May 21, 2021 10:09 pm

I'm looking at Old Rhyl lifeboat photos taken by my Dad, starting to think I need a bigger shed.
Are you going to go full on lifeboat detailing fanatic on this? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 22, 2021 6:53 am

Swab wrote:
Are you going to go full on lifeboat detailing fanatic on this? Very Happy

No - the kit includes quite a bit of detail and I won't be adding any except perhaps some crew if I can find some at a reasonable price.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 22, 2021 11:34 am

Checking that the cabin will fit over the coamings, I found out that it is much bigger than them

Brede Lifeboat Img_2090

Width ways it was the same. I added another layer of 2mm liteply to the sides, extending it forward to accommodate the length, and it now fits. The cabin is very flimsy, and will I think need some strengthening. I can't see that it will be safe as it stands. Either stiffening or some fixing will be required before I will trust it on the water Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I have filled the edges and sanded the whole deck - its now ready for sealing, probably with Ezekote. I have also done some more sanding of the spray rails. Ready for trying on the hull.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2091

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon May 24, 2021 12:38 pm

Yesterday I gave the deck a couple of coats of Ezekote resin. Today I added two more - it should now be ready for painting after a light sand.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2092

Next job were the spray rails. These actually went on rather better than I expected Rolling Eyes I anchored the bow end with masking tape, then dribbled thin CA into the joint from the top. Once held, I added more CA from the underside. Here's the first one.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2093

and both now fixed.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2094

Then I turned my attention to the cabin. This is considerably oversized Shocked

Brede Lifeboat Img_2095

The pencil line marks the approximate cut line - the finished line will be above that Rolling Eyes

I started try to cut it with a metal saw blade in my Dremel, but the battery was almost flat and it wouldn't cut. I'll try again once its recharged.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed May 26, 2021 12:41 pm

I returned to cutting the cabin this morning only to hit a major obstacle. The battery of my Dremel has failed Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Shocked  It will no longer take a charge. Looking for a replacement they don't seem to exist - or at least not at a sensible price. Dremel still show them on their web site, but I haven't found a UK stockist charging less than £125 Shocked I will continue to look, but in the interim I have ordered a Parkside battery tool for £27.99 - about what I expected the battery to cost. I believe these are what LIDL sell, and have seen good reports of them on the Mayhem Forum.

I did manage a little work this morning - the toe strips have been fitted to one side of the hull. These are not shown on the drawing, and so the positions are estimated from photos Rolling Eyes I can continue with the other side and also mark the railing positions at the stern while I wait for my new drill.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2096

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySun May 30, 2021 1:03 pm

My drill arrived yesterday - very sturdy. It takes the chuck from my Dremel, so all attachments will fit 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
The first use was to finish trimming the cabin moulding. I used a steel saw blade and it went very well. Its a little difficult to be accurate with this blade, so I left a good margin. Rolling Eyes
This left a lot of sanding. I discovered that the extra wood I added to the coaming was not necessary Shocked . The moulding is the correct size when the excess material is removed. I did have problem wit the uneven interior surface of the moulding which was stopping it sitting down cleanly.
This was a very bad moulding - lots of flash, some of in extremely awkward places to level. In fact I think it would have been considerably easier to build the cabin from styrene Shocked Shocked

Brede Lifeboat Img_2097 Brede Lifeboat Img_2099

I finished fitting the toe strips round the deck edge, and then used the template supplied to drill the holes for the stern railings. Unfortunately the template w the wrong size -some of the holes were over the edge of the deck bounce  bounce  A quick check on the drawing and and the template was reduced by 1 cm, and the holes drilled. I am now ready to strt making the railings whilst also working on the cabin. Windows to cut out and trimmings to apply. There is supposed to be a strip round the bottom of the cabin, and one over the top.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2098

The bottom edge of the cabin still requires some work Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 11:44 am

The trim has been fitted to the bottom of the cabin, and the rope locker attached to the front. The corners need filling and sanding.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2100

I am finding it difficult to get enthusiastic about this model Rolling Eyes The instructions are very sketchy, which would be OK if there was a decent plan, but lots of the detail is not shown on the plan Shocked Also there are lots of metal fittings, most of them with no indication of their use. All the resin fittings require lots of work - far too much resin which has to be sanded off.
I've just received some solder paste I ordered which I am going to try to use for soldering the railings, at least the top layer. This is supposed to have a melting point of 183C. I also have some 70C solder which I will use for the lower rail. This is a case in point re the plan. Only one rail is shown Shocked

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 7:12 pm

If the fun has gone out of it leave it for a while or pass it on to someone else loss of interest can ruin a build, you have me worried next but one build is from Mountfleet.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 8:04 pm

Swab

This is not one of the original Mountfleet kits. Hopefully yours will still have decent instructions and drawings. The quality of the white metal looks to be OK.
I have been offered a copy of the RNLI Brede plans so that may help.
My current intention is to try out the solder paste and hopefully make up the railings. That will take me until the end of June, I then have two holidays in July and August and I will probably leave Brede until I return from both. Its not only model building that is proving a bit of a struggle - I definitely need a change of scenery. Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:12 pm

I've worked through the whole of the Covid crisis if you've been stuck in throughout i can only sympathise. In the scale model side of my hobbies they tell you to put it aside and have a break . Where you off to anyway?

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyThu Jun 03, 2021 7:03 am

We've not been totally isolated, but obviously life has not been normal. Over the last few months it has been increasingly difficult to motivate myself to do anything other than read, not helped by the cold and wet weather. We have a couple of UK cruises booked so at least it will be a change of scenery, food and people. I will continue to make small additions to Brede, but save the major effort for the autumn.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Brede Lifeboat Img_2102 Brede Lifeboat Img_2101

The band around the cabin has been fitted and also the door. I have also marked out the window openings. I have to decide whether I am going to glaze the windows or just paint them black. If I decide to glaze them I will cut square openings 1mm bigger all round so that the frames will cover the join.

I need to stiffen the cabin sides somehow. At the moment they bow out. I am thinking that if I cut the window openings I could mark the top of the coamings and fit a bearer to that line. I could then incorporate magnets to hold the cabin firmly in place.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 pm

I'd cut them out and do a basic interior you can hide bracings that way as structural panels.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat Jun 05, 2021 12:54 pm

First job this morning was to drill holes in some white metal studs which I think are intended as bases for the railings. If I'm correct, there aren't enough of them Rolling Eyes . Drilling white metal is not my favourite operation, but with a bit of patience and some light oil, I only damaged one of them Thumbup

Brede Lifeboat Img_2103

Next I started cutting out the windows using a steel saw blade in my drill. This went well until the drill stopped - I'm not sure if it was overheating, or the battery was down. I put the battery back on charge and the drill works again, so I will finish of the windows next session.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2104

Finally I added some bracing to the cabin sides . I will eventually incorporate some magnets to help hold down the cabin.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2105

A good friend of mine from Wales has sent me a copy of the RNLI original layout for the Brede class. This will help me put all the little bits in the correct place. Looking at this though, there are still bits included in the kit that I can't see on the plans Question  I will have to contact Mountfleet about them.

I am hoping to go sailing tomorrow - I have been saying this twice a week for a while now. Tomorrow I must make a final effort and go Shocked

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon Jun 07, 2021 12:59 pm

Brede Lifeboat Img_2107

I finished cutting the windows. Some of them require some final adjustments.  Once that is done I think the cabin is ready for painting. There are lots of fittings, but they need the cabin painting first.
There are only 12 of those studs I drilled for the railings. I need about double that, so have ordered some brass eyelets with a 1.5mm hole which is about right for the brass wire.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon Jun 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Good bit of progress did you go sailing? I took my yacht out not a breath of wind till I got back home!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 6:27 am

Yes - a reasonably successful day sailing. A bit of ballast adjustment needed on the two tugs, but the Pilot boat's coupling couldn't handle the torque from the brushless motor so needs to be changed. It may be easier to switch to brushed - I'll have to see.
There was no wind in Cambridge either - the yachts were just floating around.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 7:23 pm

Brede Lifeboat Img_2108

Not a lot to show for the last two days work, but all the window openings have been cleaned up and made the 'correct' size.
I have started on the stern railings. If it doesn't get too hot in the workshop I may be able to start soldering tomorrow.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2109

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 11:35 am

Brede Lifeboat Img_2110

First uprights of the stern rails soldered in place. Its quite tricky keeping them upright whilst soldering. I started with an iron, but found it easier with a small torch - the solder paste means at least I don't need an extra hand Shocked I suspect these are the easy ones - there is a second rail to be added, plus 'baskets' for the fenders.

Before I started on this I fitted a new coupling to my Pilot Boat that failed on Sunday. I ordered a rigid brass coupling, but could only get 2mm x 2mm and I needed 2 x 3 so I drilled out one end.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Ah the joys of modelling eh Barrie , been reading your post and sympathising with you as you met each problems .

Ref rails let me know what size your using and the bases as I might be able to help from my slop chest .....you know where I am and can give them you on a Sunday if needed Thumbup

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Thanks for the offer Ivor. I think I have solved the problem - I will know when my package arrives later this week. They are not needed for a while yet.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Yesterday I completed the stern railings and thought I had got the second row out of line on the port side. Today I had another look and made a rough jig to check it out and I find that it is OK Shocked  So that saves a lot of hassle trying to un-solder and re-solder. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
I used my solder paste and small blow torch and it went reasonably smoothly. I just need to clean up the excess solder where I was too generous with the paste Rolling Eyes
I still have to make and fix the basket for the fenders. There are also cages to make for the exhausts. The kit contains pre-bent wire for these.
There are another set of railings on the cabin sides which extend forward. They can be made flat so should be a little easier.
My eyelets came today. They are supposed to be 1.5mm internal bore, but my 1.4mm wire wont go in bounce  They will need drilling out.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2111

I think that I am now in a position to start painting the hull. I don't have the paint yet, but I can give it a coat of primer while the weather holds.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat Empty

Back to top Go down

Brede Lifeboat
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next