TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) Empty
PostSubject: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptySun Mar 07, 2021 10:49 pm

As the title suggests, in this thread I will attempt to cover my build of a Roberts Class monitor in approx 1/144 scale. Hopefully it'll end up looking something like this, somewhere around 31" long.

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) Untitled-14

A while ago I found a line drawing on the net and thought 'that looks interesting, I'd like to build that...' like you do.
RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) Diagram

After enlarging the above drawing to the maximum useable size, I was left with a very blurry image still a quarter of the size I needed so this will not be an exact scale replica, more an interpretation. Luckily I've been able to use a CAD program to create a fairly accurate drawing on top of a jpg image which I was then able to enlarge to more or less the right size.

Sadly I don't have any pictures of the early stages of construction but it's simply a series of 3mm plywood frames and some long bits of 5x5mm timber with a proper technical name that I've forgotten and therefore probably a bit boring. I've half clad the hull so far with 150x3x2mm balsa planks but I've run out of wood. I did order more but it turned out to be thin ply that was no use for what I wanted to do so the hull was put on hold temporarily. I've fitted both motors and shafts, built and fitted 2 brass rudders and kitted out inside the hull for the various electrical bits and bobs.

The superstructure of the ship has been quite interesting to build, trying to decipher the rather rough drawing. On recommendation I bought myself a copy of Big Gun Monitors by Ian Buxton and it's proved really useful with loads of photos and descriptions so I've managed to work most of it out. I've used a laminate of 20thou plastic card for the major components that I have drawn out with CAD then transferred to a Silhouette cutter along with various bits of brass sheet and tube.

Hull 13 - F40/F109 HMS Roberts/Abercrombie... I haven't decided which yet with various parts placed for photo purposes.
RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210305-1

13x single and twin barrelled 20mm Oerlikon cannons, 2x quad barrelled 40mm pom poms, an octuple barrelled 40mm pom pom, 4x twin MkXVI QF 4" AA guns (in turrets) and the almighty twin 15" main gun - which incidentally is radio controlled, rotation and elevation - have all been lovingly handcrafted by yours truly. In fact, everything so far has been. The only things I have purchased have been the 2x 385 MFA motors. Everything else has come out of various scrap boxes. For example, the main turret is actually a corner block from an old pallet I 'accidentally' broke at work, hollowed out with a router as are the bow and stern blocks and the funnel is an offcut from an aluminium brush handle. Everything has an alternative use, you just need to use a bit of imagination.

When my new order of wood eventually arrives I will finish cladding the hull, then P38 it and test float it in the bath and hope it doesn't sink. The plan then is to tissue and dope it before painting in filthy primer red & grey. I have a feeling it's going to need a fair amount of ballast given the shape of the hull but I have a cunning plan. More on that later but I can assure you it will only cost 'pennies' Wink

Bob K and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 6:38 pm

I like that one of those parked off your coast drastically rearranges the landscape.
Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptySat Mar 20, 2021 6:36 pm

The hull is now completely planked and awaiting a new tin of P38 - the one in the photo below is empty.

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210320-2

I decided to go for neat with this build instead of my normal method of chaos and I think it looks a lot better for it. No trailing wires and a place for everything. Even a rather nifty smuggling hole in front of the motors. I haven't abandoned the chaos approach completely though (see rest of garage). One day I'll tidy up and maybe find all those tools I've lost. Not to mention the new speed controller that has mysteriously vanished.
I haven't got round to weighing the boat yet but I think it will be suitably heavy and hopefully it'll sit nicely on the water. Once I get the new P38 and get it all sealed, I'll do a test sink in the bath.... then cry probably.

Swab, Bob K and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Bob K
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptyThu Mar 25, 2021 12:50 am

Very impressive work!  I think its outstanding that you are finding new uses for all kinds of things.  Great job all around.

Who is to say what that vessel "really" looked like?  Most ships come out of the yards brand new, and begin an un-ending process of re-fit and replacement.  They barely resemble the original vessel after a short time, especially after combat action.  What you have produced is sea-going diorama quality my friend.  Scratch building is certainly alive and well!

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 1:33 am

Hull 13, F40/F109 HMS RobertCrombie: Construction Update

This is the current condition of the aforementioned HMS RobertCrombie.

Two weeks ago
RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210320-2

Today
RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210409-1

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210409-2

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210409-3

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210409-4

All of the internals are completed and working. 2x slightly overscale brass rudders have been constructed, fitted and servo'd (not really a word but you know what I mean). Similarly the main gun - removeably mounted on a rotary servo for roundy roundy motion and a linear servo for the up and down stuff. Prototypically, the main gun turret is held in place purely by gravity - it's made from brass and mahogany so it's quite hefty.

The hull is finally finished - bar painting and despite being clad only in 150x2x3mm balsa strips it is amazingly strong. This is probably due in no small part to the application of hundreds of individual 20x10mm tiles cut from a metre square sheet of a strange almost like a thin blotting paper I found at work and thought... Hmmm... like you do. I've stuck these in position using model aircraft dope which sets like rock. It doesn't show up very clearly on the photos but I think the finished effect does a very convincing impression of steel plating.

The whole of the deck/superstructure aft of the splodgy white line on pictures 2&3 is removeable for access to the internal gubbins. This idea caused a few headaches and design changes along the way but I'm satisfied with the way it looks and operates now. I've had to make one or two structural changes from the original but nothing too serious and nothing that deviates too much from the prototype.

As you can see from the photos, the water line of this vessel is at the top of the sponsons, where the slope inwards towards the main hull begins. Earlier in construction I did a test sink in the bath to assess how much ballast would be needed and it turned out to be quite a lot. Cue head scratching moments on the most efficient (cheapest) way of doing this. I can now report that the ballasting of this vessel has cost me exactly £2.38. A rather precise figure you may think, but what it actually means is that there are 238 pennies epoxied onto the inside of the bottom of the hull. Simple yet effective (and cheap). Unfortunately it also makes the boat quite heavy.

Once again though, I've run out of materials so I'm waiting for delivery of some more plastic card so that I can remodel the secondary gun emplacements and manufacture various other deck fittings. I have several cranes to build for which I think kebab sticks or cocktail sticks will suffice and various other bits of mast /antennae paraphernalia need building. These will need to be fairly robust so I'm thinking brass rods for this.

I think it could be a while yet before this beast actually gets it's bum wet but there's a lot still to do so that's it for now. More as and when.

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 11:10 am

That's looking really good have you seen this for your cranes:
http://www.plastruct.co.uk i use it a lot it cements beautifully and is a soft cheesy plastic which you can bend and cut easily. Are you going overall gray or a camouflage scheme?

Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 7:06 pm

Camo it is. Sort of.
RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210415-1

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210415-2

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210415-3

Cranes: I went with kebab sticks and fine chain in the end, purely because I already had some.

Loads to do yet but it's beginning to look the part now.

Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptySat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) 20210418-1
Comparative size of the vessel next to a similar scale N gauge train. 

She's currently laid up in dry dock (my garage) having some tiny brass handrails fitted.

Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 7:34 pm

A Word to the Wise...... Keep an eye on the weight Vigo as they become to much to handle if you suffer from back issues like me , then you end up having to part with them having brought them into the world only to be given away .

My 1/96 scale HMS Victorious had three 12v 20 ah batteries in her and was in two halves for transport and took two to get her in the water ..Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 10:14 am

Hi vigo,
Excellent work.
Well done.
What are her approximate dimensions ?

Martin555.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)   RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish) Empty

Back to top Go down

RN Roberts Class monitor 1/144 scale(ish)
Page 1 of 1