TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nearly 75 newbie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
guzzijohn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Nearly 75 newbie   Nearly 75 newbie EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 2:54 am

I did lots of modeling of many types when young but only recently made an attempt at a big boat for rc. I have zero experience in rc but as a retired U of MN mechanic repair and fabrication come easily. The project is a 1% scale Great Lakes ship the Cliffs Victory. I'll try to ad pix in gallery of hull I built 5-8 yrs back. It is carved foam covered w glass/epoxy. We've had a fair bit of Laker observance as both sides of my Wife's family are from Sturgeon Bay, Wi. Her late Paternal Grandmother lived about a 1/4 mile from Bay Ship Building. Over the years we saw a great many including the construction of many of the Thousand Footers. I'll try to get pix posted and will be asking build questions as time goes by. Thank you,GJ Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly 75 newbie   Nearly 75 newbie EmptySun Feb 28, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi GJ - my apologies I missed your post when it arrived. Welcome to the forum. Do you really mean 1%? That must be a really large hull. We would certainly like to see some photos.
Posting photos is easy on this Forum as it has its own image server with no restrictions on file size. There is information here if you need help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Barrie
Back to top Go down
guzzijohn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Pixs   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][url=https://servimg.com/view/20312056/4][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20312056/6][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]
Hi, started to answer you on my Kindle but oops-can't post pix on it. I've tried to put them on all the sites recently but not sure if it worked. Got the new 895 motor today so took a few more. Spring is coming this week w 40+F temps. Then I can get bikes and snowblowers into garage in place of Subaru. These new shots show motor, prop, and 10+yrs of dust. It wouldn't take the last 2 so do 2nd reply.
Back to top Go down
guzzijohn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: 2 more   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 12:54 am

Looks like I'll have to add another box for motor.

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
guzzijohn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Oldheimer's strikes again!!??   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 12:58 am

Somehowsent some doubles-SORRY! scratch
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly 75 newbie   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 6:42 am

That's an impressive hull - thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing progress. Spring almost made an appearance here last week, but its slipped away again this week Very Happy We are still in lockdown so not able to sail our models.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
guzzijohn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: TABLETS BE DARNED!!   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 10:53 pm

I tried sending a reply this morning but a glitch or thumb deleted the whole mess-PC will work.. Anyway car's alternator replaced with help of trolls hiding parts and tools. Now car can go outside and bikes and other machines take that space. That opens shop for tinkering. First thing is prop shaft and an engine room to mount motor. It will have 12v L/A batteries for the motor but I'm not sure if there are other RC components that can be run off those. It would seem either a separate battery or a step down transformer is needed. That is a ways down the road though. I have most of the Library books on RC and boat model construction checked out. Those don't help a great deal due to age of publication. Luckily I have 2 coming from our interlibrary system that are much newer. Then again all of you forum Gurus are out there. I just don't want to ask a lot of silly questions without doing proper research first. Ball is ready to roll. GJ bounce
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly 75 newbie   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 6:53 am

HI GJ

If you select your ESC carefully it will handle 12 volts and give you 5 volts for your receiver and servos so you will only require the one battery - although space and weight considerations don't come into it with that hull. Shocked It is difficult to make specific recommendations about equipment as you are in the US and I am in the UK, but I'll try if you need me to do so at later date.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly 75 newbie   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 2:03 pm

I'm my best Roy Scheider voice you're going to need a bigger shelf! That's an impressive hull are you planning to fit a bow thruster to help the steering? I can't tell from your plan photo as I can't get the enlargement.
Back to top Go down
guzzijohn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Combos?   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 2:11 pm

I saw a unit advertised as receiver/esc in one piece. Also read that receivers normally do act as esc. Was that advertising hype or something new? With the popularity of RC land vehicles the advances in equipment must have been huge in recent decades. The variety is like car shopping. A hyper charged Audi is cool but a Yugo will take my arse from A to B. I'm going to find your town on the map. Another fellow who I've talked to is somewhere on your S.E. coast-South Something Field-gotta look up his greeting message.  He was a CPO named John. Smile
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly 75 newbie   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 6:11 pm

GJ

The only combined Receiver/ESCs I know of are for brushless motors in drones and electric flight aircraft. However, as I said you are in the USA and things may be different there.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
guzzijohn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Slow Brain Translator!   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyThu Mar 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Going to make a system schematic as component pecking order starting to make sense. RC terminology and power calculations need to be learned-a fellow on RCU mentioned the RX which I take to mean receiver. Old dog is slow but enthusiastic about new tricks! bounce
Back to top Go down
Cruzcontrol
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly 75 newbie   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyWed Mar 17, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi GJ, what a Great model this will be, a Great Lakes Bulk Carrier! Did she carry iron ore? I was born on the Canadian north shore of Lake Superior and remember these ships with great fondness. I was fortunate, for various reasons to be on board some of them, they are very impressive to see up close. The bow of the Cliffs Victory is unlike any other lake freighter I remember seeing, was she originally designed for another purpose? I look forward to seeing her finished. Cheers. CC
Back to top Go down
guzzijohn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: HI Cruz   Nearly 75 newbie EmptyWed Mar 17, 2021 1:30 pm

The ship was a WW2 Victory ship. They were produced after the earlier Liberty ships were found to be too slow making them easy prey of U Boats.  The C.V. was lengthened from about 440 feet to over 600 on the East coast. It was then towed to the Gulf and up the Mississippi and Chicago rivers into Lake Michigan. Later she was further lengthened to over 700 feet. A workmate at the U of Minnesota had served on the Edward Ryerson had told me of the C.V.-his favorite because of her unique look and speed. I believe like other bulk carriers she would haul iron, coal, and limestone. The only other similar conversion I've read about was a WW2 tanker. :)GJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nearly 75 newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly 75 newbie   Nearly 75 newbie Empty

Back to top Go down

Nearly 75 newbie
Page 1 of 1