TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Another newcomer

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

Another newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Another newcomer   Another newcomer EmptyThu Feb 11, 2021 10:54 pm

Relative newcomer to the world of model boats...

Hi all. My name's Andy, I live in the beautiful High Peak area of Derbyshire UK, I'm just shy of retirement and into model railways in a big (small actually, N gauge) way.

About 12 months ago I decided to take a break from railways and rebuild a Sea Commander that I built when I was about 16 that'd been sitting on various shelves for many years (No.9 in the picture below). Since then the bug has really bitten and I have amassed a fleet of 12 boats of varying scales and sizes - 10 of which I have built myself, including 2 paddle steamers, 3 ferries, 3 cabin cruisers, a Spanish style salt lake paddle tug and even a Civil War Confederate ironclad. Most of them for one reason or another are non-operational (not intentionally) but at least three of them do work using 2,4 and 6 channel radios. 
All my builds with the exception of an Aeronaut Diva and the aforementioned Sea Commander are scratch builds.

Some of them:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm currently working on Hull 13, a scratch build 1/144 scale working model of a Royal Navy Roberts Class monitor C1944 (31"). I'm at the hull frame stage but sort of stalled because it's too damned cold in the garage.

Thanks for reading.

Seanympth likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Another newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another newcomer   Another newcomer EmptyFri Feb 12, 2021 7:07 am

Hi Andy and welcome to the Forum. That's an impressive rate of building for someone not yet retired.
Will you sail these at Buxton when we are allowed? Since we left Derbyshire the club there has developed. I used to sail at Burton on Trent.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Another newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another newcomer   Another newcomer EmptyFri Feb 12, 2021 8:25 am

hi vigo,
great looking at your build of boats please show us some of your builds logs  2thumbsup 2thumbsup . i started of before retiring when i was fitter, but now nearly 70 and finding it difficult with hands so keep going while you can old age is a b----r i keep trying though  lol! do you have a pond local to you. i  worked and lived in chapel-en-le-frith when first married whish i had never moved i love buxton  happy days Mad .

david
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Another newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another newcomer   Another newcomer EmptyFri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 pm

Hello how have a nice selection built up there I'd like to see more photos of number 3 if possible.
Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

Another newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another newcomer   Another newcomer EmptySat Feb 13, 2021 9:26 am

Happy to oblige.

This was my first scratchbuild. A generic Clyde style paddle steamer (very) loosely based on PS Jura and a shade under 38" long called Covenanter. She's fully kitted out with radio, dual motor/gearbox and twin ESC's and she has actually almost floated once - and only once. Unfortunately due to my naivety, I used a plank on frame system to build the hull.... but these were 2" styrene planks on styrene frames. It didn't end well but luckily none of the electrics were damaged. I've since salvaged them for use in another model.

This one:
This one's called Jenny. She's roughly 24" long and G scale. She's based on a plan I had from a magazine some time in the 1980's but since lost. I recently found it again on the tinterweb so I thought... Why not?
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Another newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another newcomer   Another newcomer EmptySun Feb 14, 2021 6:48 pm

Very nice! I like the Covenanter she's like a sports version of Waverley.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another newcomer   Another newcomer Empty

Back to top Go down

Another newcomer
Page 1 of 1