TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Police/Pilot Boat

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 12:47 pm

I did say I wasn't going to do a build log for this one, but I will post a few photos as I go along.

Police/Pilot Boat Wbc10010

This is the model in Police Boat guise. I don't see a way of producing the chevrons sufficiently neatly and so it will become a pilot boat Shocked

The model is all laser cut ply and balsa. I appreciate the accuracy of laser cutting, but cleaning the edges is not a pleasant job Rolling Eyes  The burnt edges are also quite tricky to cover with paint even after sanding. So far the basic hull frame has been built. The 3mm ply stringers are quite fragile and I have broken one which I have replaced with strip wood, and I notice in the photo another is broken on bulkhead 2 and will need to be replaced Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1879

I'm not sure why its called Humphrey, but I turned the name inside on the stand Shocked

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 4:55 pm

Watch out watch out there's a Humphrey about!
Do you find the lasered edges resist the glue grabbing? That's the same glue I'm using by the way.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Swab - yes the edges can be harder to glue with PVA/Aliphatic glues. Provided you remove the very top layer its not too bad, but sometimes the inner ply gets a deeper burn causing some problems. If in doubt I use CA.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 10:03 pm

I used to inspect the vehicle ramps in the police garage in Worcester there was miles of tape in those checkerboard schemes but I always left it.
There's checkered tape on Amazon but not those colours I've looked on the R/C car sites for police car decals but nothing leaps out -sorry.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 7:26 am

Thanks for looking. I decided that I'd rather not attempt it if I couldn't be sure of getting it crisp. A Pilot Boat is somewhat simpler as I have the machine to cut letters, and Pilot Boats come in all sorts of shapes, so it will look OK.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 12:16 pm

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1880

Both hull bottom skins now in place. These went on better than I expected Thumbup  I just damped the outside of the bow end. couple of dings to fill. I have decided to use Zpoxy without any glass cloth or tissue.

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 10:05 pm

What material and thickness are the hull skins? I've got another set of plans i may try and that's skinned in 1/8" Balsa.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyMon Nov 30, 2020 6:54 am

I think its 1/16th, but I'll check later. 1/8th is OK for planking but I think would be difficult to use in sheet form.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyMon Nov 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Yes - 1/16th or about 1.7mm

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyTue Dec 01, 2020 11:08 am

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1881

All four skins now on Thumbup I've started filling the dings, and since taking this photo have fitted the balsa blocks to one side of the bows.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyTue Dec 01, 2020 9:25 pm

Nice streamlined shape that, what are you using for filling?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 7:16 am

Tamiya Revell Plasto. I used to use Squadron but read it had changed its formula and was very liquid so have been trying other options. This is also quite liquid - will probably not buy any more Rolling Eyes For 'bigger' jobs I use P38, but not worth mixing such a small amount.

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 11:22 am

Correction - that should have been Revell Plasto Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Balsa blocks fitted to second side, started sanding first side. Filled more dings - I hate balsa Shocked
This is the transom finished as per kit

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1883

So, not really wanting to try and fill all those bits and pieces, here is my solution - still to be trimmed.

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1882

I have treated as much of the inside as I can access with Ezekote.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 11:41 am

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1884

The spray rails have been fitted at the chine and the two bow blocks sanded. I think the shape is OK, but it probably wont be clear until I get some paint on. I think I've filled all the dings, and once the rails are set, I can apply some resin.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 8:12 am

Happy Birthday!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks Swab.

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1910

The resin was applied yesterday - I used Zpoxy. Looking at it this morning I'm not too happy with the surface. Very 'orange peel'. I tried sanding with some fine paper but it just clogs. I need some wet and dry, which I should be able to buy on Monday.
I spent a long time this morning shifting the burnt edges from the superstructure - lots of it Rolling Eyes  I also tried fitting my motor - a brushless - and had to cut away some keel to accommodate it. I also opened up the hole for the prop shaft which is now ready for fitting. I think I will have to shorten the inner shaft, but wont know for sure until I glue it in.

There are two parts to the deck - a frame which fits round the coamings, which I fitted this morning,  and the actually deck. These were glued together. They are held to the hull with two magnets.

Barrie

flotsam likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 11:53 am

I started on the cabin today. Most of it went together as expected. At the moment its not stuck to the deck as I want to paint it first.

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1911 Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1912

That just about finishes construction. Just some fittings to clean up, paint and fit. The railings will have to wait until the model has been painted. I also plan to modify the mast which is a 3d printed item with layers very prominent. I may discard it - I have already removed the strange cylindrical object at the top of the mast as I don't know what it was supposed to be. Rolling Eyes  I am thinking of making a simple mast with radar on it. The model also doesn't include Navigation lights, so they will be added.
I also need to find some rubber fendering that I think I have as the joint between hull and deck is quite clunky.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyTue Dec 08, 2020 11:44 am

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1913

All three sections now almost ready for painting, subject to final checks for any filling required. The hull has been rubbed down with 800 grit wet and dry paper used wet. I wanted 600, but Halfords didn't have any bounce  There is still some 'orange peel' on the hull but I think it will be OK when it gets primed. The cabin has been treated with EzeKote, and the deck has had the same on both sides. After sanding these should be ready for paint. The weather is not really suitable for spraying out doors, so I may have to try and rig up a booth in the workshop.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 11:36 am

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1914

After sanding the cabin and deck I took a chance and sprayed the hull and cabin outside in between showers Rolling Eyes  As expected this showed where more filler was required Shocked  After filling and sanding agin, I gave both parts another coat of primer, I think these are now ready for painting after a light sand. I have painted the edge of the deck white, the remainder will be matt grey. I have also found my half-round rubber edging and there is enough for this model 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Next job is to work out where the waterline should be - there are no indications in the instructions, but I have found some photos on the CMB website which will give me a guide.

Police/Pilot Boat Wbc10011

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyThu Dec 10, 2020 11:13 am

I started painting this morning. Satin black on the sides of the hull, satin white on the cabin and mid-grey on the deck - all Humbrol Acrylics. The paint has highlighted some areas on the cabin still needing more filler Rolling Eyes , and the black will need another coat. I have trouble with the satin white - it leaves bits. Shocked I've tried two pots now and both the same. It will require a light sanding before another coat. Its strange as it appears smooth enough on the brush.

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1915

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyThu Dec 10, 2020 7:13 pm

In the scale modelling world Humbrol have developed a bit of a reputation for variable quality.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyThu Dec 10, 2020 7:16 pm

Yes - I used to use their enamels but got tired of one tin being like water, the next like treacle Shocked  I've just started using their acrylics and have had no problems except the Satin White.
They also have fewer colours in acrylic.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyFri Dec 11, 2020 12:46 pm

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1916

Some more painting. I also fitted the rubber moulding round the deck. I didn't mask for the red as I intend to use some white plastic tape as a boot topping.
Before painting the underside I was going to fit the propshaft, but I came across a problem. Because I planned to use a small brushless, I hadn't thought about the coupling. I had assumed I could use some flexible tube. Unfortunately the shaft on the motor is too big for that. There isn't really space for a conventional coupling, so I think I may have to revert to a brushed motor. Sad

Just noticed quite a problem on the underside of the hull - will have to look at that Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 12:45 pm

After a root through my bits and pieces I found a coupling that will suit the brushless and the 2mm shaft, so we are back to Plan A 2thumbsup

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1917 Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1919

The rudder is also installed - had a couple of issues with this - which is the one recommended. The arms are too long and foul the sides, and the shaft is too long and doesn't fit under the deck Shocked So out with the saw. I had to shorten the arms and the shaft and also the tube.
A further problem is mounting the servo. After trying several options I decided to sink it into the tray. Still got to make the linkage.

I have cut some PILOT names and applied them, I also added some detail to the steering position on the rear of the cabin. As you can see I'm almost ready to stick the cabin to the deck, although I do have to glaze it first Rolling Eyes

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1918

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1921

More work done on the electrical installation. I still need to work out how/where to fit either a switch or fuse - its a bit tight!

Before working inside I filled the area round the propshaft exit. After it had dried and been sanded I touched up the paint.
Before I glazed the cabin windows I painted the window frames silver a very fiddly job but worth it I think. I used double sided sticky tape for the glazing. Hope it holds as I wont have access Rolling Eyes
Next I glued the cabin to the deck, and then applied some of the fittings.

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1920 Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1922

Next job is the boot topping followed by some varnish on the hull. Then a mast to make and the railings to fit. There is a mast in the kit, but its a 3d printed one and the layers are very obvious - true of all the fittings - so I will make my own.

Barrie

flotsam likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 9:23 pm

Humphrey's looking good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1923

Boot topping applied and hull given a coat of Humbrol Satincote. I also solved the switch/fuse problem

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1924

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyThu Dec 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1925

Railings added to bow and stern. At the bow I chose to end them with a vertical rather than a sloping support as this is a Pilot boat and the pilots need a support to grab when boarding. The bow was made with the supplied stainless wire, but this was delivered coiled and therefore was not suitable for the straight runs at the stern. Instead I used some rod from my stock.
I also made and fitted a radar scanner. I now need to paint the mast I made, and also make some navigation lights.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyFri Dec 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1926

I finished installing the electrics, creating the servo linkage and a battery box. The first servo failed on me after a few seconds testing - I think a gear must have stripped as the motor kept running. Rolling Eyes

I've also painted and added the last fittings - the mast, some navigation light boxes and a life raft. The latter was on the top of the original mast Shocked

Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1928 Police/Pilot Boat Dscn1927

That's its for now. It will eventually get ballasted and a maiden voyage.

Just noticed that the cabin door needs a handle Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat EmptyFri Dec 18, 2020 2:51 pm

She's a beaut!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Police/Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Police/Pilot Boat   Police/Pilot Boat Empty

Back to top Go down

Police/Pilot Boat
Page 1 of 1