TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Well I picked this Mersey up today very cheaply I may add.It was built around 10 year ago by a Member of the Gwynedd Model boat group and it used to sail on LLanberis Lake in Snowdonia.Now no way am I getting converted to the Lifeboat clan this is as close as I 'll get...The only Reason I have bough tit is simple really Grandfather used to be a cox at the Pwllheli Station and i have allways admired this model.

Well I definatly needs a full rebuild or in this case start again simply as it is far to tired for a sympathetic paint job 
When I got it home i started making soe investigation work...well I was shown it working but it had a very noisy motor...MMMM turned out to be a bent shaft ARGHHHHHHH...Never mind.

Upon inspection I soon realised it needed a new deck due to it being cracked....the coaming around the superstructure was also cracked HO HUM.

Whist inspecting it I used my nail just under the windows nad result they literally fell off....new ones me thinks.
Now me being ME I decided to prise the cracked deck and low and behold it was so so easy to remove the whole deck...another result which now means I can get at the stancheons very easily without damaging them another result .

There is a possibility I have a bent shaft i will remove them again and find out if it is or not...more on that if it is the case so to speak.

The props are far far to small and will be replaced in time and the jury is out motor wise.Now OMG the rudders are well how can i put it well NOT exactly central to the probs.....redrill and refix methinks !!!!!!

Now i'll let you guys make your own mind up when you look at the pics...please dont laugh to much...In MY MIND it is a good starting point and I simply will not be doing an interior simply as I am not a purist and rivett counter...this will be a model that will be used and not a show queen !!!!!!!!!!!

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133411376_2606565123_cIMG_4215 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133600352_fb93eb32eb_cIMG_4216 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133598287_8d9129097c_cIMG_4217 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49132913048_c0a0b15680_cIMG_4218 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133402846_d073e89829_cIMG_4219 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133591952_3e5ce7e2e4_cIMG_4220 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133589492_3effcb96b1_cIMG_4221 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133396296_7d48c3ee3e_cIMG_4222 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133584802_9bbdb11c8a_cIMG_4223 by David jones, on Flickr

The bent shaft is on the right hand side motor as you look 

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133582357_a2594853db_cIMG_4224 by David jones, on Flickr

Underneath the superstructure

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133579892_d1907baa50_cIMG_4226 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49132894223_9a3a85d494_cIMG_4227 by David jones, on Flickr

OOPSY not in line with the prop

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133574872_c37b78fea7_cIMG_4229 by David jones, on Flickr

Windows peeling of...Held methinks with eveostick

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133572942_c27a1ab108_cIMG_4230 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49133570662_49acdfe60c_cIMG_4231 by David jones, on Flickr

Oh Dear Me the deck sort of fell off  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49132885488_a74c4dfa06_cIMG_4232 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49132882863_93efe30fc5_cIMG_4233 by David jones, on Flickr

So whats next yes crawl intro the corner of the shed and cry cry cry///Me thinks it is time t get the paint stripper out, strip the paint off the hull and remove all the gaash wood and get a bare hull and start again...OH the JOYS of model boats

Dave NOT the lifeboat nutter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 6:54 pm

matey, i'd have given what you paid for that...…..bit of hard work and some tlc………….and you are the man for a good paint job...…….a bit of brass silver soldering [ which I could do for you, and you'll have a spanking good Mersey...………..

I can see mike p's  mouth watering himself...……….it gives you an almost blank canvas to start anew....re arrange the scruffy interior, and make some new stanchions from tubular brass and she will look great. 

totally agree you need bigger props and some decent blades on them...…….those on it wouldn't push a poo down the bath, lol. 

enjoy the build, it reminds me of what I did with that Atlantic 21...……..a good rebuild to your own satisfaction and good level, and she'll be a cracker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 7:01 pm

and whether you like it or not, you are now one of the lifeboat crowd, lol. 

and whether you like it or not...….you have been a while, lol. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PxrVm185l4&t=19s
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Er excuse me all I was doing was taking a picture, of course I had Nothing to do at all with the controller that was beside me I DENY all KNOWLAGE of controlling a lifeboat  or was I  Laughing Rolling Eyes

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 10:22 pm

I HAVE YOUR PRINTS ON MY HITEC CONTROLLER, LOL.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 4:57 pm

OMG what on earth have i bought oh yes a right hesp of cow dung believe you me god knows who moulded this hull it is 100% no a models by design hull far to thin,thin i hear you say more like paper i kid you not.

I will have no option but to lay a 2oz layer all over the inside of the hull and an extra layer around where the deck beams will be to try and rescue it,where the tunnels are you can simply put your fingers though,numerous holes have also been found.TBH i wish i had accepted an offer i had when i first bought it.I dread to think what i will find when i do the superstructure.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158754311_3ab3ef0791_cIMG_4234 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158265658_28798afc31_cIMG_4235 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158974172_7cefc9b6ee_cIMG_4236 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158748606_40bede8c4e_cIMG_4237 (1) by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158746931_b0670c7277_cIMG_4238 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158968807_107df9d8d3_cIMG_4240 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158968807_107df9d8d3_cIMG_4240 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158967162_f6443dba53_cIMG_4241 (1) by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158965642_673678d9c7_cIMG_4242 (1) by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158740541_55ccd61fa4_cIMG_4244 (1) by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158250763_3af1691474_cIMG_4247 (1) by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158248668_bff98d72c4_cIMG_4249 (1) by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49158247033_58bd60a0a0_cIMG_4250 by David jones, on Flickr

I suppose the only 2 good things that has come to light is that the shaft that i thought was bent is not the noise was down to a poorly aligned shaft and both motors and speed controllers are ok.

Now where is that can of Stella think i need one or three

Dave
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Good job you didn't try to sand the paint off Stavros lol! lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Corect m8 it is THE WORST HULL I HAVE EVER  come accross it is so so  thin it is unbelevable

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm

that is the worst hull I have ever seen also

the preverbial bears backside comes into thought, lol...……...happy grp'ing mate......at least you'll get joyfully high whilst doing it...….get the heaters on, lol.

as I said any help you need mate...……..you know where I am with stippling brush in hand. ………..on this site mate, we offer our help free, not 20 quid an hour,  lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 pm

It's not all that bad Dave. I've had to deal with worse hulls than that!! lol! lol! lol! 

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Aw shucks Guys and if anyone thinks I would ever Pay to get my model done THINK again and that Ego systical big headed IDIOT who posts on a forum moderated by even bigger headed School teacher who can ONLY build Shelving Couldnt repair this one and that's FACT...He cant even solder properly PMSL

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 8:24 pm

lol! lol! lol! 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 08, 2019 7:27 pm

Well it seems i've had my orders from the Captain and my Mersey is going on holiday up to fleetwood to be repaired THANKS NEIL to say it is paper thinis an understatement Neil cna tell yo all about it.

I have been assured that Neil will post on here not only his findings but HOW he is approaching the repair Warts and all as he says.So it is over to you Neil Package will be sent out on tuesday

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 08, 2019 8:14 pm

JEEEEZE...…...that's been a long 5 days without my computer...it crashed last Tuesday n went in for repair. ….began to have withdrawal symptoms after 36 hours...….but back on line now In trying to get my favourites up to a reasonable list again, even though currys were supposed to do a data transfer of all photos, and stuff, none seems to be where I can find it....so if anyone has a link to the US site that I have recommended to others could they please send me links to them via pm please and any others you think I might like. cheers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 09, 2019 6:59 pm

stavros wrote:
Well it seems i've had my orders from the Captain and my Mersey is going on holiday up to fleetwood to be repaired THANKS NEIL to say it is paper thinis an understatement Neil cna tell yo all about it.

I have been assured that Neil will post on here not only his findings but HOW he is approaching the repair Warts and all as he says.So it is over to you Neil Package will be sent out on tuesday

Dave

looking forward to the challenge matey...….should be fun, and I can get high on it too. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyFri Dec 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Well the boat is not only packed away but it is also on it's way up on Holiday to Neils' and should be there on monday....cant wait to get it back so I can get on with my fav part Painting lol.The obviously the Hard work and spending starts begins.

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyFri Dec 13, 2019 10:40 pm

I shall look forward to receiving it mate...……….what I will do with it then, god only knows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 5:59 am

Fill it up with wood and give it a viking funeral maybee  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Well blow me top marks to Delsol couriers I dropped the Parcel off at 345 yesterday and was told it will be there for monday Well low and behold Neil received it this MORNING and not even damaged either ...Bonus....Neil has already started on it and he will post pics up as soon as he can 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 9:16 pm

"she" was dropped on top of me whilst I was asleep in bed this morning at 10.15 hours......

its not the sort of female I had in mind for sharing my bed this Christmas, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose, 

and without the ability to download my pics from my camera onto this new computer, all the pics I have taken are A B S O L U T E L Y  bloody useless until I can fathom it all...……..but I can say that I will have the job of re glassing the boat done, long before I've figured out how to transfer these photos I've taken, lol.

onwards and upwards. I couldn't find any brushes tonight to start, so will buy some cheapies for glassing up tomorrow from home bargains and get the job done in one go tomorrow.

got my resin, got my matting already cut, and got my rubber gloves...………….only need the brushes now and all set to go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 10:01 pm

right, for some reason, my sim card miraculously started working whilst I was messaging stav……...and have now down loaded todays photos....

I am under that bloody box on my bed somewhere.........dropped unceremoniously on my head by my daughter at 10.15 this morning!

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3612

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3613

then it was down to clearing off my benches.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3611

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3626

and then removing the model from the box...……...the moment of truth...………..it wasn't the biggest disaster I have ever seen...…….there was Chernobyl, Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and even labour's disaster last night, and so I thought...…….this is easy peasy in real terms...…...so get on with it neil and do what you do best......wing it, lol.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3616

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3615

and so I got down to it. I decided the easiest way to repair the damage was to tape up the holes and bite marks out of the top bulwarks of the hull with two layers of tape, and lay up to that with multiple layers of matting, and so that is what I did.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3615

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3618

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3619

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3620

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3622

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3621

and then I checked the resin to see if it had lost its shelf life but that was fine to go, and finally got down to cutting and splitting the layers of glass mast to make it thinner and easier to lay up. I always by 2oz chopped strand matting, and split it into two layers of 1 oz......that way it is 50% cheaper than buying double area meter wise of 1oz chop strand...…….more economical………… now, you don't get that information freely on mayhem, lol.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3624

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3625

so!!! until tomorrow …....that's all folks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 5:15 pm

the first layers [ 2 of] have gone into the hull.

I have a chart for resin to catalyst that I use depending upon the temperature both in and outside my workshop, and the chart shown is with heating on and a nice sunny day, and isd the maximum normally for those conditions.

however during winter and the heaters only just keeping an ambient temperature, I would normally add another 40% catalyst to resin.

but in this case I kept the mix to the maximum for a hot day, the reason being that the hull is so very [ and I mean VERY] thin that if I add more catalyst, I would get a "hot" mix and the chances of rippling or even distorting the hull would be probable, NOT  possible.

so will just have to show patience and let the first layers go "off" on their own before I trim the bulwark top.

once trimmed i'll leave it to harden and semi cure over night before adding a couple more layers of 1oz chopped strand mat.

then we will see how strong and rigid the hull is and whether it needs more treatment. 

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3627

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3631

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3629

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3628

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3630

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3632
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 5:30 pm

hull has now been trimmed at bulwark level, and its just now a waiting time until the first layers have set hard.....couple of hours I would say, before I can add the next layers. 

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3633

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3634
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 6:37 pm

WOW a master at work that looks simply stunning there is HOPE for it yet 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 6:53 pm

I've been out to the old girl in the last 10 minutes and although the brush I used had gone rock hard, the interior surface on one side , the side I finished working on last is still tacky to the touch, ever so slightly but the other side has set well. the temperature is dropping outside but my oil heaters are just keeping heat inside, and so!.

I have decided that I will lay up the other two layers tomorrow morning, giving the stuff laid on today the chance to set tonight, and now that the first layers have taken well and made the hull much more rigid and firm, I'll add a little more catalyst to combat the cold damp outside atmosphere. and by tomorrow night, Mr Stavros Jones, will have a hull that a fart wont blow a hole in.  lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 10:43 pm

the hull is now in a state of turning from setting to curing, but as of 22.30 it is far too cold outside and the ambient temp in my workshop has dropped it is futile to put anymore matt/resin on the boat tonight and so I have just cut some 12mm square strips and cross cut them in two directions to use as the deck support stringers ready for "implanting" them onto the moist  final layers of matting that ill put on tomorrow...…..and then Dave will have his hull back, nice solid and rigid, ready for him to work his magic on....

there is an ulterior motive to all this though...……...I want him to spray my Tyne Class lifeboat, when I eventually get round to building it, lol. 

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3635

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3637

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3636
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 10:49 pm

Get it ready then and ill do them BOTH sort of 2 for the price of 1 lol

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 10:53 pm

it will be a while yet mate...…..I have to finish these two sailing lifeboats and then make the plug and mould for this steam lifeboat that I need to mould  to give my friend who donated the steam plant some hope that it will power a model...…….so it isn't going to be worked on until late next year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 1:35 pm

FINAL layers of matting have been laid around the deck level and the obeche strip has been bonded in to the matting to give strength both to the hull and the deck when laid. 

the use of copious spring clamps to help bonding is also helpful, lol.

once the resin has gone off this afternoon I shall trim the obeche and ragged edge of the matting to correct deck level with my power sander, and then repack ready for return to north wales.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3638

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3639

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3640
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 4:20 pm

i'm not highjacking Daves thread by any means, but just thought I would do a little appendage to my fibre glassing.

after putting on the last two layers this lunch time the temperature has dropped outside and the temp in the workshop is hardly holding its own, 

and so I got the hot air gun out of hibernation and set it going from one end and then the other, and to recirculate the heat I roughly covered the top as best I could with a sheet of hardbopard…….it seems to be working and the tackiness has been arrested, but it took an hour at least of high heat to blow just enough into the hull to turn the process.

however, what to do in that hour or so...…...I decided to trim the cabins on my recently acquired 3rd or 4th hand owned Tyne class hull and cabins.

it was not until then that I found that the cabins were nearly as thin as Daves hull, and each time I marked the cabin bottom and linished to shape, a bit more gelcoat crumbled off, and at that point I began to realise that these two models were possibly moulded around the same time with minimal thickness, both in matting and gelcoat covering...
c'este la vie

we have the technology, we can repair.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3646

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3642

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3643

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3641

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3644

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3645
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 10:37 pm

sod your Shannons, they are becoming as common as pugs these days, and I know, I have one.

my two favourite "modern" lifeboats together...the Tyne, I now own and Dave's Mersey after her new inner skin

Having stripped it down, trimmed it up and sanded to the correct bulwark level including the deck support timbers, I can honestly say it's "chunky". 

To be honest it is considerably heavier than it was and will need the two 900's to get her on semi plane as she should be at full speed, but she WONT  need any ballast at ahh. Ii actually weighs about the same as my Tyne hull, which to me is a little flimsy as you can push the hull inwards. The Mersey hull you cannot. It is rock solid..

Perhaps she might have got away with two layers of 1oz chopped strand, but the holes were still visible through 2 layers so I opted for 3......still less than some manufacturers that use 2 x 2oz chopped strand, and far more durable than a single 2oz layer which can, in my humble opinion feel very flimsy.

so here it is, trimmed up and sat next to my Tyne…………...would like to see these two together on a lake one day going to a shout at full chat.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3648

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3649  

The G Clamps are just holding a few bits of deck supports on that broke away when I  was using my Worx power cutter

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3647

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3650

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3652

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3651

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3655

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Img_3654
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Well, back from the mayhem of another place, 

I now hand this thread back to Dave, as his Mersey hull has been sent back to the depths of north wales for him to carry on with the restoration of this, his first encapsulation into the world of lifeboats.

and I can get back to working on my classic lifeboat models.

I enjoyed my sojourn back into the realms of glassing...……….but please...……..anyone out there, don't ask me again until the weather gets a lot warmer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 7:35 pm

just as an afternote, I forgot to give the insides a good rubbing down, matey to get rid of the "needles" from the strands of glass, so give it a good go with course grit...

also I forgot to take off the tape in the tunnels, all in the rush to get it in the post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 5:25 pm

Right then the hull is in work getting a coat of primer filler so I decided to strip the superstructure down....well that didn't take long as everything simply fell off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First thing i noticed as soon as I started to strip the paint down with nitromous was a line of filler around 10mm along the length of the deck line MMMMM WHY.......after some careful measuring from the rnli plans I found out that the cabin sides were 13mm to high....The superstructure had not been sanded down to the correct height but in fact had filler added to get the correct line between the deck and superstructure....never seen that one before.

All of this gloop has been removed and sanded down inside to find the original line...ODD isn't it the superstructure is as pathetically thin as was the hull....fun and games indeed.This will obviously realayed up with a single layer of 2oz matt as soon as the rest is paint stripped....Many of you will shudder that \I am using ordinary Nitromous paintstripper and not a propriatory one for GRP,I will not allow the stripper to be on for longer than 5 mins and will strip the layers off slowly and wash it off in between applications,thus minimising andy chance of damage to the gell coat .

Remains of the mast etc

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49435235597_2faf0edc57_cIMG_4342 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49434536243_4480c76199_cIMG_4343 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49435237242_90d874a86b_cIMG_4341 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49435004691_1f87e2c785_cIMG_4346 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49435226207_60b2d50dee_cIMG_4348 by David jones, on Flickr
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 7:09 pm

well, matey, all I can say is its a very steep learning curve for any members with little knowledge of working grp to be reading this resto, and how to make a silk purse from a sow's ear...….

I have faith in you mate...……..onwards and upwards.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 7:31 pm

There is one of the main reasons that I avoid grp superstructures, either too thin, too thick or the wrong size!!

If I'm going to make a cock up then I would much rather it be of my making and not somebody elses idea. lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm

So it was time to repair the superstructure so it was out wit the resin and matting,all the widows were masked up on the outside with silver metal tape amd every hole was also plugged and a simple 2 oz single layer was applied all inside the superstructure adding strength to it.

Must admit I was well impressed with myself as i have not done any grp work for  a couple of years and the edge of it is uniform with no real work to on it except recut the window holes  and a quick sand to get rid of any spikes.

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49469031633_19f99baf06_cIMG_4350 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49469527936_7617e87b31_cIMG_4349 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49469525136_d835590e0c_cIMG_4351 (1) by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49469521256_afe0a642e1_cIMG_4356 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49469028018_c3b6220028_cIMG_4355 by David jones, on Flickr

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild 49469746172_b88671fd3c_cIMG_4352 (1) by David jones, on Flickr

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 7:16 pm

sending you a message matey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 pm

ooooooh…...I can smell the resin from here...…...good job done...……...i'm redundant, yehhhh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild   Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild Empty

Back to top Go down

Pwllheli Mersey Rebuild
Page 1 of 1