TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mystery "new" lifeboat.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Empty
PostSubject: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyMon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Message for Neil and Mick................

The "new" lifeboat has had its final flotation test this afternoon.  Good news is there are no leaks into the hull so it's on with the rest of the build.

Keep watching this space. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Mike
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyMon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Shannon class hull eh?

gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 12:16 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
Shannon class hull eh?

No.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 5:42 pm

how BIG   is BIG......   LOL
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm

nhp651 wrote:
how BIG   is BIG......   LOL

Bigger than a Mersey, smaller than a Clyde. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 11:08 pm

is she a double ender, as you say a big one.............as you or I have built most classes between 40' and 71' and probably not wanting to replicate a build....................that leaves the 42' beach launch Watson, the SIR WILLIAM HILLARY, one off boat commandeered by the RAF as an air sea rescue boat, or the 61' Barnett class, which I am about to start making a plug and mould of.............if not one of those. i'm stumped.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 12:36 pm

is she 1;12 or even 1;6 scale, and have you built one of her class before. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 2:38 pm

1/12th scale and no I have not built one before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 pm

well I reckon that its the wartime William Hillary or the 61' barnett class.......possibly a 51 Barnett but you've built a 52' boat anyway
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyFri Apr 20, 2018 10:15 pm

I give in!! Trouble is Neil that we have both built so many different types of boat that any new build is easily tracked down.

It is the 64ft Fast Lifeboat that was built for Dover in 1929 when cross Channel flights were starting to carry many more passengers. The lines for the hull do not exist and there are only a handful of photos easily available. This led to my son and I creating the lines from the known main dimensions of the boat using a great piece of software, DelftShip ( also known as Freeship). The lines produced were printed out and card templates made to check the shapes as we went along just as the old builders did on the lofting floor. When reasonably satisfied the templates were transferred to timber and this first prototype hull was built ( a new set of templates with more refinement are ready to make hull Mk2 soon). Most of the bits and fittings have been found/made from spare bits in the " might be useful one day" boxes under the bench.

View of the bow.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_10

Midships engine casing.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_11

Stern deck area.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_12

View from the bow.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_13

View of the port side.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_14

Now have to finish the painting and fitting out ready to take to Knightcote in a couple of weeks time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptySat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Mighty fine build as usual.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptySat Apr 21, 2018 12:48 pm

You should take a mould of the second hull mate..........I'll swap you a hull for the 61' Barnett hull and cabin I am going to build in a short while..

thought it would be that one though as more unusual that the 4 61' Barnetts that were made............and you like the unusual. sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptySat Apr 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Damien wrote:
2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Mighty fine build as usual.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

It's not too bad considering it has been made from odds and ends.The next one will be much better. Thumbup

nhp651 wrote:
You should take a mould of the second hull mate..........I'll swap you a hull for the 61' Barnett hull and cabin I am going to build in a short while..

thought it would be that one though as more unusual that the 4 61' Barnetts that were made............and you like the unusual. sunny sunny

Yes I do like building odd lifeboats . 

may well have a mould done of the next hull.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyTue May 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Started making and adding the deck fittings.

The fore deck with the anchors in place.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_15

The electric anchor winch made and positioned behind the breakwater.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_16

The unusual twin wheel steering system fitted. This splits just in front of the A frame support to allow the cabin to be removed.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_17

The hull has been painted, the grab lines fixed around the hull and then onto the water for final engine trials this morning. It is powerful, but will need a large lake to really open up!!

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_18

Deck stanchions and rest of the small fittings next.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyWed May 02, 2018 1:27 am

Blurry marvelous matey.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyThu May 03, 2018 3:50 pm

I agree Damien, a lovely boat 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyFri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm

it was an astonishing boat for its era and no wonder the powers that be commandeered it for the duration of the war as an Air Sea Rescue launch......

and you are making a cracking job of it mike.......sent you a pm on mayhem, but save you going on there..........have you got any GA plans for the 52' mk2 Barnett lifeboat with closed cockpit...........if so could you take a copy please and send me the bill. cheers,
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyFri May 04, 2018 6:57 pm

nhp651 wrote:
it was an astonishing boat for its era and no wonder the powers that be commandeered it for the duration of the war as an Air Sea Rescue launch......

and you are making a cracking job of it mike.......sent you a pm on mayhem, but save you going on there..........have you got any GA plans for the 52' mk2 Barnett lifeboat with closed cockpit...........if so could you take a copy please and send me the bill. cheers,

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyFri May 04, 2018 7:53 pm

cheers for the call mike.........that will be champion. ta.
Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptySat May 05, 2018 7:30 am

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dsc_0911

Hi

please don't think I am high jacking your poet.

One of the members of the Swiss Cottage MBC has this Lifeboat, could you help me with the name of the type?

Thanking you for any help you can give.

Fred
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptySat May 05, 2018 9:11 am

hi,

it looks like a 35" or a 41" hull, but in the modelling fraternity this is what is called a "nonesuch"......it is loosely based upon a 45' 6" or a 46' Watson cabin lifeboat but the superstructure is basically freelance upon a hull that the member had got hold of, and instead of using plans to construct, has instead, used photographs used and viewed from a distance.

and although it is a representation in his own mind of a lifeboat of that ilk it isn't an accurate representation..........sorry to have been so harsh, as it looks a very nice model and has given much pleasure to build and from a distance gives the image of a lovely lifeboat, it is only a representation and not a true one of an actual RNLI lifeboat.

Neil.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptySun May 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Getting back on subject.

Just about finished adding the details for this first attempt/proof of concept build.

Mast added along with its supports. Also fitted the stanchions and guard wires.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_19

Navigation lights, non working, of the early pattern fitted to the boat.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_20

The jack staff at the stern added and the radio wires added.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_21

Overall view of the boat ready to go to the LBES meeting at Knightcote next weekend.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dover_22

Back to the other builds on the slips!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptyMon May 07, 2018 1:00 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptySat May 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Spent a pleasant day today at the LBES meeting at Knightcote Model Boat Club in Warwickshire.

The RNLB Sir William Hillary had her final 'sea trials' and started lots of comment and discussion.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dscf1710

Picture in the middle of a 'crash stop'.

Mystery "new" lifeboat. Dscf1711

Video clip of her running at full speed around the pond.

Next outing will be at Blackpool !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. EmptySun May 13, 2018 4:57 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery "new" lifeboat.   Mystery "new" lifeboat. Empty

Back to top Go down

Mystery "new" lifeboat.
Page 1 of 1