Share | 

Fireboat elevating and rotating tower.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Fireboat elevating and rotating tower.   Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:58 pm

I previously mentioned that looking around for a new project I acquired Glyn Guest's Elliot Fireboat plans. I wasn't too keen on the design of the ship, but saw the elevating and rotating tower as a suitable challenge which I plan to add to my existing fireboat. The added bonus of this plan is that I do not increase my fleet which is already too extensive. Shocked
Just to remind you, this is what the model looks like now.

and this is Elliot with the tower.

I have ordered the bits I think I need - Glyn used a tin lid as the basis of the turntable, but I don't have a suitable one, so have ordered some mdf circles. I have also ordered some threaded rod. I have two standard servos and a fire monitor, although I may make a second one to go on the bows. When the bits arrive I can start work Very Happy

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fireboat elevating and rotating tower.   Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup It's the challenges that keep us going Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fireboat elevating and rotating tower.   Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:15 pm

another cracker , matey.just love your boats. Thumbup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fireboat elevating and rotating tower.   Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 pm

The first job was to remove the fittings from the deck, plus the rear railings. The deck was only 1 mm plastic card, so to strengthen it I added some 1.5 mm. It may require additional stiffeners under the deck - I'll see how it is when everything is finished.

Next job was to mark the centre of one of the larger discs and then fix a servo wheel to it. Eventually I will create a 'skirt' to hide the servo head. This will probably be another 90 mm circle with its centre cut out.

The arms for the tower will be made from timber - GG used plastic I beams, but I couldn't find any big enough.

Next up was cutting a hole in the deck to take the rotate servo. This was then fixed to give the necessary clearance for the rotating platform. 

I have also been working on the lifting servo. Two cheeks have been cut from liteply. The servo will be glued between these, and these then glued to the rotating platform.

This has all been reasonably straightforward - next we come to the tricky bit Rolling Eyes One arm needs to be attached to the lifting servo and the other given a pivot on the opposite side. These will need to be accurately aligned if the tower is to rise without twisting Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Fireboat elevating and rotating tower.   Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:48 pm

I should have posted this photo yesterday - the servo mounted in the deck.

The arms have now been fitted to the servo and a dummy pivot.

I was about to fix the two sides to the turntable when I realised that if I just stuck them down I would not be able to fix the turntable to the servo, or remove it Embarassed. So I made a mounting plate from some liteply which I will screw to the turntable. The two sides are now glued to the plate. 

I have also cut the strengthener for the operating platform. The arms will be fixed to this.

This maybe all I get done this week - shopping etc tomorrow and new car to collect on Friday  2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fireboat elevating and rotating tower.   

Back to top Go down

Fireboat elevating and rotating tower.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Build Blogs!-
Jump to: