TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fire down below

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptySat Jul 29, 2017 2:30 pm

What have I done wrong?  Clyde Puffer with a small brushed motor. Futaba R202GF two channel receiver.  Jeti JES 180 ESC plugged into socket B on the Rx with the orange wire next to the B.  3 x AA cells in a battery tray and a bog standard servo.  When I switched on the servo worked but not the motor. Polarities and connections all checked.  Then the positive connection at the battery tray melted and the ESC got hot.  What’s wrong and is the ESC a write off?
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptySat Jul 29, 2017 5:48 pm

if you can take a photo of your set up it will make it a bit easier. i may be wrong Embarassed but you shouldnt need a seperate battery box scratch , as most rx have bec which feed from esc so no need for battery box. just check to see if it says bec on rx. sorry i cant say much more without seeing it. some one else may see this and help.

david
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptySat Jul 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Can't do a photo as I had to strip everything out.  But the battery box was connected to the ESC - no other battery.

The ESC has one pair of wires which go to the battery and another pair to the motor - both clearly marked.  (and of course the wires to the RX and on/off switch)
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptySun Jul 30, 2017 7:55 pm

I think the problem was that I connected the speed controller to socket B on the RX.  Now think it should have gone to one of the two channel sockets.  Given the melting of the battery box and the heat build up in the ESC is the ESC now a write off.

And what is the difference between a Jeti JES 180 ESC and a Jeti ECO ESC?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 am

Richard

I am not familiar with either the ESC or that Receiver. For sure it sounds as though you managed to create a short somewhere which is what melted the battery box.
The lead from the ESC should go to one of the channels on the receiver. 
In my experience two channel Rxs have maybe three sockets - 2 channels and the battery connection for use if the ESC does not have a battery eliminator circuit (BEC) to power the Rx. If this is the 'Socket B' you mean, then I can't quite see why it should have created a short.

See the sketch below. The Servo and ESC may be reversed on your Rx - its a long time since I used a 2 channel set Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Fire down below Img10
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 8:49 am

thats it barrie,
i couldnt find the words to explain  scratch it in detail the way you have drawn it 2thumbsup . i do find typing and trying to put into words what i mean difficult. i prefer to talk not type  Laughing .

david
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 9:09 am

Many thanks  - that makes perfect sense.  What a pity manufacturers don't design plugs and sockets so you can't plug them in wrong.  So given that my mistake was to plug the ESC into the battery socket of the Rx rather than a channel socket and that it got hot is it a write off?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 9:16 am

Only one way to tell - plug it in and try it Rolling Eyes I don't see why it should be, but you never know Cool I would think it more likely to be the Rx, but you can test that with a 4.8v battery and a servo.
My plan would be to test the servo only first. That will tell you if the Rx is OK. If it is, plug everything up as my diagram and see what happens.
I did look up the JES 180 and it appears to be an aeroplane ESC and Forward Only. My preference would be to use either an Mtroniks (look for the ones they've taken off the line for testing- cheaper) if you want a BEC, or an Action Electronics one and a separate BEC or 4.8 volt battery.

Which part of the country are you? There may be someone near who could help.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 9:27 am

SW Wiltshire and I'd certainly welcome a mentor!
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks again for putting up with my ignorance.  Having tested it the Rx is driving the servo OK but the ESC does appear to be dead.  I now need to buy two ESCs.  One is to drive a small ancient and nameless brushed motor in my Puffer and I think the Mtroniks VP10 would be OK.  The other is to drive a bigger model with a Graupner Speed 600 which I think is also a brushed motor.  So perhaps for that I need an Mtroniccs VP15?  But as they are both the same price perhaps two VP 15s would be simplest?  Size is not an issue - plenty of space.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Richard,

Yes - the only advantage of the Viper 10 is its small size. In my view these would be a good solution.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks again - I've ordered two VP15s and will try to avoid wrecking them. I'll report progress.  And if anybody reading this is within range of Tisbury I'd love to hear from them.
Back to top Go down

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptySun Aug 06, 2017 8:40 pm

RichardaBeattie wrote:
Thanks again for putting up with my ignorance.  

there is no ignorance shown here Richard..........I am the worlds worse at electronic gizmos and will always seak help from others

may I also just add a suggestion to Barries diagram.........put an inline fuse holder and fuse, [obtainable from any car assessor shop but not Halfords as they will rip you off and charge double or treble the cost that a small shop will for the same] and place a fuse in of lower value than the ESC. this fuse should go between the motor and esc on the positive live wire as the motor will try to draw as much as possible from the battery through the esc and the fuse will stop this and............will stop you frying future esc's.

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below EmptySun Aug 06, 2017 9:01 pm

Richard,

Neil is right - add a fuse. I didn't want to complicate things when trying to find out how you had wired your boat. I would put it where Neil says, others put it between the battery and ESC. If you want maximum protection, use both.
If I remember rightly the Vipers have a degree of inbuilt protection against excessive current, but fuses are cheap lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fire down below Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire down below   Fire down below Empty

Back to top Go down

Fire down below
Page 1 of 1