Share | 

STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Well, the long build has finished, the plans, spare fittings and masters have been put away. the parallel square on my drawing board repaired using some ply wood, screws and nuts and my trusty old Sidchrome 1/4 drive socket set (bought in Australia 42 years ago to mend the shoddy timing on my Norton 850 Interstate lol), after the accident a few weeks ago, and some tidying of the benches has been done.

The workmate has been cleared and I will have had a clear up by Tuesday to get rid of the craaaaap on the other benches and floor, but I couldn't resist bringing in the plugs for the new project.

This is to be a hydraulic driven "steam" lifeboat dating back to the late 19th Century......in essence she was one of the 3 steam driven Water jet propulsion lifeboats...........so nothing is really new.

this model plug was recognised immediately as a steam lifeboat by both myself and Martin Kinghoward when it appeared on Ebay described as an "old wooden boat needing restoration".

I spoke via email to martin, and came up with a deal that if he were to buy it and have it shipped to me, I would make moulds of the hull, end boxes and a superstructure, and send a set of mouldings to Martin.......deal done it has sat in my kids Wendy house for the last 3 years or so.

Hopefully this will be a full build of a working lifeboat driven by a brushless motor driving a centrifugal water pump through fore and reverse nozzles.

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Bit of work to do there before making the mould mate!! Thumbup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:55 pm

certainly is mike.......and quite a bit of the filler has bloomed around bow and stern so have been chipping off in small amounts ........thing it was from being stored in the Wendy house........although dry, it probably can be damp in wintertime..........but hey ho.........part of the enjoyment
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Half the fun is sorting out the problems!! 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:53 pm

too true.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:04 am

This will be fun to watch. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:57 pm

I left the plug in a heated garage to dry out last night and all day today, after chipping off the bloomed filler in large lumps.

tonight I glued them back on with 2 part epoxy.......most of it went back on, with one piece left for tomorrow. once I have filled between the parts, I will give all the plugs many coats of sanding sealer in order to harden up the softer parts of the MDF  which it is actually made of........

this is a case of getting the plugs ready for working on with sanders to get it to a better state before progressing on to getting it ready to take paint to highlight the parts needing surface fillers and then  detailing before waxing ready for mould manufacturing.

this part of the build is crucial for the best obtainable finish on the mouldings.

I also  need to find the one photo of these vessels that prove that they were plated steel hulls with overlapping. once I have found this single photo that I once had, so is available somewhere, I will plate the hull with 120 gram card.

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:04 pm

where has all the filler gone.......been to 3 car accessory shops and none have decent tetrosyl polyester filler without the glass strands in it......

anyway, not often that I use my grand dads old tools that he took through his apprenticeship with him [ and he would have been 137 this coming Saturday], but I love using them when I can..........here is a 1/8th mortice chisel and a pad saw that both must be at least 100 years old.....and a wonderful privilege to use them.

I cleaned out the slots for the bow and stern posts, cut them from 4mm ply, and then glued the posts into the hull with waterproof glue, although not really needed, but its a quick setting glue.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:24 am

nhp651 wrote:
where has all the filler gone.......been to 3 car accessory shops and none have decent tetrosyl polyester filler without the glass strands in it......

Probably changed it name Neil. They keep doing that to products you've known and used for years Shocked Shocked Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:37 pm

probably right, Barrie.

anyway, got some today from a small shop............not the stuff I usually use but an easy sander so that's ok.

got a bit more done to the plug.

the stem and stern post at 4mm was too thin scale wise, and so today I cut strips of 1.5mm birch faced ply 6.5mm wide, and in two layers I laminated them on to the original posts, using glue and picture framing pins.

it was then just a simple task to infill with polyester filler [pf]

once set I will then start filling the rest of the hull before sanding it all down.

Back to top Go down
inertia
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Neil
That green filler looks a bit like Flexible Plastic Padding body filler, which I have used in the past and is OK. These days I use P38 although I've been recommended other stuff by Stavros - who seems to know a little bit about car body repairs...
I have a vague suspicion that I might be co-opted into helping design a radio installation for this wondrous beast. Have you any ideas what sort of pump and valves you are going to use and how they are operated? I've done a successful bait boat propulsion system using four Rule 1100gph 12v bilge pumps and an ACTion P94 with a special array of Schottky diodes, but your proposal is new territory. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say!
DM
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:16 pm

that's the stuff Dave.......I had that in stock but thought it too runny, but it has done well.......the problem was I thought I didn't have as much as I had, and thought I needed more than I do.............if that makes sense, lol..............but the new tin, left open will do for the cabin and filling the gaps on the mouldings once made.

in the meantime i'm sat in front of the computer waiting for the door bell to ring from the postie.....might be a package from foreign parts on the way, and can't hear the bell from my workshop when the music or tv are on.

so I decided to look for the photo I have showing the plating lines of the steel/iron hulls [ no one has ever stated the real metal used for the hulls], and finally finding it in a book I have reproduced it as best I can, although in the original glass plate image in the book it shows much clearer........one can see the faint lines of the top two plate lines of the hull.

these lines correspond with those clearly marked on the model plug that was really a very good modellers plug .

although those lines have now been obliterated at bow and stern by filler, they can easily be reinstated now that I have the photo.

the only other question is..........was this boat constructed with a welded hull, as looks to  be a "weld line" in the photos or an overlap plate configuration with flush ground rivets.

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:16 pm

hi neil ,

have you read the article in the engineer sept 1890, i have been looking at this over the past couple of years with the intention of building it myself, but with a single prop as i dont want to go down the road you are going. Laughing Laughing . in the engineer it states that the hull was made of the very best steel procuarable was employed haveing been submitted to the severest cold tests. (the rivetting is a special feature of the boat). it states where torpedo boats  has double rivetting,  the duke of northumberland  was triple rivetted  and there is no single rivetted seam from stem to stern in the hull our deck fitting. if you want the full story and photos i will scan and send to you if you send me your email. hope this helps.

david
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 pm

please david...............i'll send via pm. thanks.

by the way, the James Steven no. 3 and no.4 plus the City of Glasgow were all single screw prop driven.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:12 pm

the boat in the preceding photos is the James Stevens, but can't see which one........the JS no.4 was the Padstow boat which was capsized and wrecked with the loss of 8 crew in April 1900.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:50 pm

just been playing with the photo on my computer and enlarged to 500% where you can  for absolutely sure, see the actual plate joins of slight overlap both following the sheer of the boat and the vertical lines of the plates............the job just got more interesting and enjoyable..............I LOVE  plating a hull.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:34 am

hi neil,
i have sent you the details hope you can read it as it is a very old news paper. also hope you have the details you need.

david

forgot to say scroll down to page 192 to 193
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 pm

cheers David.

I shall have a good read now. thanks.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:31 pm

the process of getting this plug is long and slow, but getting there. The filling and sanding has been done and a single layer of sanding sealer has been put on to bind the original coating of what I believe was a lime whitewash so that the plating lines could be drawn onto the hull.

the next job was to put onto the top of the hull, a flange along the sheer line which will be moulded onto the hull mould to give the correct trim line for the gunnals to the tops of the bulwarks. I made this from 4mm mdf board, glued and nailed to the hull.

and if it is still nice weather tomorrow the hull will get as many coats of satin varnish on it to seal it hard before hand sanding smooth before the plating begins using 300 gram card.

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 pm

Comming along nicely Neil. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 pm

cheers mike...........

the flange has set and been cut by jigsaw to the width required and then a coat of ronseal satin indoor varnish added.........let it dry overnight and then hopefully be able to give it another two coats tomorrow if this glorious weather holds.

I can't get over how beautiful the fine lines of this lifeboat had.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT   

Back to top Go down

STEAM HYDRAULIC LIFEBOAT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories :: Lifeboats-
Jump to: